D01 Classical guitar lesson 10

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
page 56 - Jean-François Delcamp (1956) Liaisons - Legature - Slurs - Ligados
page 56 - Jean-François Delcamp (1956) Accords – Chords

Finally, we'll look at 5 tunes, pages 49 to 52,
page 49 - Adrian Le Roy (ca. 1520-1598) Quatriesme bransle de poictou

In 1549, the French guitarist, lutenist, singer, editor and composer Adrian Le Roy entered into partnership with his cousin Robert Ballard. Together they founded a major publishing house. From 1551 to 1556, Adrian Le Roy and Robert Ballard published 5 books of tablature for guitar (Renaissance guitar with 5 courses of strings). Le Roy's bransles de poictou probably had their source in the popular tradition. Here the melody is accompanied by a single repeated bass note played by the thumb.
http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... leroy.html
http://www.delcamp.net/historyclassicalguitar.html
http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... terne.html

page 50 - Fernando Sor (1778-1839) Leçon III opus 60
http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... dosor.html

page 51 - Joseph Küffner (1776-1856) Allegretto – duo
http://www.delcamp.net/joseph_kuffner.html
Joseph Küffner - Duo - MP3

page 52 - Adrian Le Roy (ca. 1520-1598) Second bransle de poictou

page 52 - Gaspar Sanz (1640-1710) Villano

In volume D02, on page 49, you will find a chord version of this Villano in D major.
Spanish guitarist, organist, theoretician and composer, Gaspar Francisco Bartolome Sanz y Celma, born at Calanda (Teruel) on 4 April 1640, was a bachelor of theology at the university of Salamanca. Once he had finished his music studies in Spain, he completed his musical education with a journey to Italy, where he served as chapel organist to the Viceroy of Naples. When he returned to Spain, he became guitar teacher to Don Juan of Austria (son of King Philip IV of Spain).

In 1674, Gaspar Sanz published the first of the three volumes of his "Instruccion de musica sobre la guitarra española" for five-course guitar, of which one of the existing copies is preserved in the Calanda Town Hall (Ayuntamiento). In addition to being a learning method, this collection includes popular tunes and dances as well as several forms of serious music (fugues, passacailles). This work is the most complete publication for guitar of the period, and would be republished a further 8 times between 1674 and 1697. The pieces are presented in Italian tablature, i.e. inverted, with the bottom line designating the first string. He uses chord symbols in this work which are forerunners of modern notation.

Gaspar Sanz was one of the most significant guitarists, composers and theoreticians of the Baroque era. He doesn't only dominate his own century: he was to remain the essential reference in the following century for all treatises and all music publications for the guitar.

The works of Gaspar Sanz have often been arranged for the modern guitar by 20th century interpreters such as Emilio Pujol, Andres Segovia and Narcisso Yepes. Joaquin Rodrigo, the famous composer of the concerto d’Aranjuez, pays homage to Gaspar Sanz in his "Fantasía para un gentilhombre" for guitar and orchestra. From his own time right up until today, the popular themes of Gaspar Sanz's songs and dances have been passed on orally by street musicians.
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/p ... rsanz.html

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
page 56 - Jean-François Delcamp (1956) Accords – Chords
page 52 - Adrian Le Roy (ca. 1520-1598) Second bransle de poictou
page 52 - Gaspar Sanz (1640-1710) Villano

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.
My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Colin Bullock, John Montes, Rick Beauregard, Marko Räsänen and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Let me be the first to post on this last lesson thread for D01-2018/9.

Not offering up any accomplishments just encouraging you diligent souls who are. I have been keeping up with guitar since the exam but mostly enjoying the summer. I'm spending what time I am to practicing specific exercises from Werner and elsewhere meant to improve my basic playing skill and implementing a metronome to help gain that elusive rhythm that I so lack. With that and a head start on practicing D02 I'm hoping to be in a good position for continuing on next year.

Take care.
James
Last edited by James A. Showalter on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:35 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:48 pm
Let me be the first to post on this last lesson thread for D01-2018/9.
James, you're the best - always upbeat and positive ... and definitely committed. Your improvement over the D01 year was significant, with undoubtedly more on the way as you progress through the Delcamp levels. Good for you!

Have a great summer.

Judy

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Thank you Judy.
1972 Morris No. 12
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:48 am

Has anyone started to work on these pieces?
They seem quite difficult.

I like how the difficulty is increasing with every lesson. At first, you think, I will never manage this lesson. But then after some practice, you do.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Personally, I'm working on a lot of technique exercises, repertoire pieces I currently have a handle on and looking forward to D02. I think as long as we maintain some sort of consistent practice regimen over the summer, we should be in a good position for D02 in September.
1971 Masaru Matano Clase 400
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1979 Hiroshi Tamura No 10

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Personally, I'm working on a lot of technique exercises, repertoire pieces I currently have a handle on and looking forward to D02. I think as long as we maintain some sort of consistent practice regimen over the summer, we should be in a good position for D02 in September.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm

I'm studying this. Haha. Load of fun.

The blues and my steel string just might wind up holdimg my attention more than classical. It's really fun to riff sing and solo. Especially when my pops or someone else is around to jump in.

Classical and studying here has taught me quite a bit though. I plan on hanging around and I might get back to studying classical at some point. No telling.
Studying Jazz and Blues now.. So it goes friends. I might make a return to Classical at some point.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 pm

You will have seen the post by Prof Delcamp concerning an update to the registration conditions for the lessons viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023#p587778
If you intend to take part in the new series of lessons in the Autumn, you should read the conditions as there have been some changes.

Below is a summary of some of the changes I have spotted that will affect you:
  • Student group will be cleared in August; new and returning students may register between September and December.
  • The Students group will be closed for new registrations at the end of December (since any later doesn't allow time to complete the course properly)
  • No joining more than one forum for lessons - no simultaneous eg English/French participating.
  • Students need to be able to express themselves clearly in the language of their chosen forum (they've had some real Google translation howlers on the French forum, to the exasperation of the mods there)
  • Each lesson will be locked 3 months after posting.
  • Students are expected to post at least one message per week containing encouragement, constructive criticisms, or advice. Students will be removed from the group if no posts are made in 2 weeks, unless valid reason given (there was already a condition to post once a week, but now it is being enforced).
  • Video recordings only - no audio (in lessons and exams)
  • D06 and above to be on each forum, rather than just on the Spanish forum (less friction over Google translations)
  • D06 to D08 combined into a single course (allowing a viable class size)

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:45 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:34 pm
William, your plan of attack is exactly what I am hoping to maintain - consistent practice of technical exercises and repertoire pieces. For me, I can foresee the challenge in remaining disciplined in following my practice plan - particularly on warm, sunny days.

Ah, the best plans of mice and (wo)men.

Judy

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:09 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 pm
You will have seen the post by Prof Delcamp concerning an update to the registration conditions for the lessons
Hi Colin,

Will we need to request entrance into D02 or will we automatically carry over since we are currently students of online lessons?

Thanks...Bill

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:48 am

As in the first bullet point, the student group will be cleared and returning students can register between September and December

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:54 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:48 am
As in the first bullet point, the student group will be cleared and returning students can register between September and December
I'd really hope that this forum can remain simple. I like other students have set my concentrated efforts on specific techniques that I feel will benefit from and prepare me for the next class. It's summer time with a lot of sun between this forum and my attention but I do review the comments almost weekly and try to contribute something constructive be it related or just observational. If that's not enough to keep me active then I will have to re-apply as indicated or be like Chris. But I don't sing.

James
1972 Morris No. 12
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:55 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:54 pm
Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:48 am
I'd really hope that this forum can remain simple. I like other students have set my concentrated efforts on specific techniques that I feel will benefit from and prepare me for the next class. It's summer time with a lot of sun between this forum and my attention but I do review the comments almost weekly and try to contribute something constructive be it related or just observational. If that's not enough to keep me active then I will have to re-apply as indicated or be like Chris. But I don't sing.

James
Come now James...I suspect after a few pints or nips of the good stuff, you can sing with the best of us. I'd bet a Kohno on it.

“The light music of whisky falling into glasses made an agreeable interlude.”
― James Joyce, Dubliners :ivresse:

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 am

William Byrd wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:55 am
“The light music of whisky falling into glasses made an agreeable interlude.”
Ah, William, most insightful post. I'll raise a pint to that.

Judy

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”