D03 Classical guitar lesson 10

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 101 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ – CEJILLA
To acquire the technique for the barré, it is essential above all not to force it. The ideal is to practise a little, but every day. Practising the barré demands patience. The first results of this practice (improvement in strength) only become noticeable after several weeks or months of daily practice.

To continue your progress during the summer, I suggest several pieces, the most difficult in the collection, which will make use of all the techniques that we have studied during the year.
- pages 28-29 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) CLARINES Y TROMPETAS

- page 74-75 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) TANGO

- page 76-77 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MALAGUEÑA FÁCIL

- page 83 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) NOVELETTE 002

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and pieces.
- pages 28-29 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) CLARINES Y TROMPETAS
- page 76-77 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MALAGUEÑA FÁCIL

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Colin Bullock, John Montes, Rick Beauregard, Marko Räsänen and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François

Exam qualifying submissions:

CLARINES Y TROMPETAS
MALAGUEÑA FÁCIL

Tom Wimsatt
MALAGUEÑA FÁCIL
CLARINES Y TROMPETAS

Ed Butler
MALAGUEÑA FÁCIL
CLARINES Y TROMPETAS

Olga Vovk
MALAGUEÑA FÁCIL
CLARINES Y TROMPETAS
:( + ♫ = :)

Colin Bullock

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:29 pm

You will have seen the post by Prof Delcamp concerning an update to the registration conditions for the lessons viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023#p587778
If you intend to take part in the new series of lessons in the Autumn, you should read the conditions as there have been some changes.

Below is a summary of some of the changes I have spotted that will affect you:
  • Student group will be cleared in August; new and returning students may register between September and December.
  • The Students group will be closed for new registrations at the end of December (since any later doesn't allow time to complete the course properly)
  • No joining more than one forum for lessons - no simultaneous eg English/French participating.
  • Students need to be able to express themselves clearly in the language of their chosen forum (they've had some real Google translation howlers on the French forum, to the exasperation of the mods there)
  • Each lesson will be locked 3 months after posting.
  • Students are expected to post at least one message per week containing encouragement, constructive criticisms, or advice. Students will be removed from the group if no posts are made in 2 weeks, unless valid reason given (there was already a condition to post once a week, but now it is being enforced).
  • Video recordings only - no audio (in lessons and exams)
  • D06 and above to be on each forum, rather than just on the Spanish forum (less friction over Google translations)
  • D06 to D08 combined into a single course (allowing a viable class size)

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:53 pm

My first attempt at MALAGUENA, some stumbles in the middle section. Found it difficult to memorize due to the length of the exercise.

My goal for July is to do another attempt at this, plus first attempts at Novelette and Clarines Y Trompetas.

Plus 1/2 hour a day on Legato. Thanks Colin.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:53 pm
My first attempt at MALAGUENA, some stumbles in the middle section. Found it difficult to memorize due to the length of the exercise.

My goal for July is to do another attempt at this, plus first attempts at Novelette and Clarines Y Trompetas.

Plus 1/2 hour a day on Legato. Thanks Colin.

Ed
Hi Ed. This piece is a handful. Your comment regarding memorizing made me wonder about something: Do you normally memorize a piece? Maybe you don't mean this literally, but I don't do uploads without the score in front of me. This might come down to how you want to learn, but I think having the score in front of me makes it easier to play (although it won't make any piece easy :) )
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:34 am

Hi Tom - I don't try to memorize the piece. I think it happens by just playing the same thing over and over. I always have the score in front of me but sometimes don't refer to it when I should.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Here is my first attempt at Malaguena after working at for two weeks :?

Its It's slow, and some mistakes towards the end. I'll keep at it and repost.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi Tom - well done. Interesting sound from measure 33 -48. Your pull-offs sounded like hammer-ons which is weird, but I liked the sound. I read measure 25 as consecutive hammer-ons, I think you played each note with your thumb. If My next version can be anywhere close to your 1st version, I will be very happy.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:28 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:58 pm
Here is my first attempt at Malaguena after working at for two weeks :?
Its It's slow, and some mistakes towards the end. I'll keep at it and repost.
Very well played, Tom. :okok:
It will be well-connected and get faster pretty soon with more repeats. :ouioui:
Ed mentioned about your pull-offs too soft because you did very gentle. I agree with Ed this Malaguena might need thin sharp sound of pull-offs instead of your gentle one. Nevertheless, I like the gentle one better for my taste. :D :bye:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:35 pm

Thank you both for the feedback. Ed, I did not realize the notes in measure 25 were hammer-ons! Thanks for pointing that out. That measure never sounded right to me anyway, now I know why - I was playing it wrong.

Measures 33-48.... Well, I was trying to do two things: 1) not buzz the strings; 2) keep my dang LH fingers from sliding off the fretboard and maintaining some semblance of control when trying to do those pull-offs. I had some trouble with this part and I agree my pull-off technique needs some work. Going soft was my way of tackling this problem. After reading the feedback from you all I have some new things to think about as I continue working on it.

Thanks again Ed and Ken for the feedback.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi Tom - I agree with Ken, the soft pull-offs sounded great. And for me, that is most important.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:35 pm
Measures 33-48.... Well, I was trying to do two things: 1) not buzz the strings; 2) keep my dang LH fingers from sliding off the fretboard and maintaining some semblance of control when trying to do those pull-offs. I had some trouble with this part and I agree my pull-off technique needs some work. Going soft was my way of tackling this problem. After reading the feedback from you all I have some new things to think about as I continue working on it.
Tom, your pull-offs sound perfect to me, if piece was more like Bach, Carulli, Sor, etc. I don't think you have a problem with your pull-off.
Well, it is obvious Malaguena is flamenco and it needs to be wild and rhythmically bold.(like Imperfections intended :? )

Ed
and Tom, I posted an interesting piece composed by Prof. Delcamp here. Please, follow link.
https://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com ... 65&t=43218 :bye:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:25 am

Hi Ken - I liked you Boogie. Nice constant accented beat. Finger/thumb alternation was spot on. I have always loved listening to the Blues. Good change of pace from our usual classical focus.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 pm
Hi Tom - I agree with Ken, the soft pull-offs sounded great. And for me, that is most important.

Ed
Thanks Ed. That was a great catch in measure 25. It really does sound better when played as indicated!

I noticed a student on the French forum played it the same way I did, without hammer-ons (she's otherwise playing it far better than I by the way).

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:59 pm
[I posted an interesting piece composed by Prof. Delcamp here. Please, follow link.
https://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com ... 65&t=43218 :bye:
Hi Ken - I totally agree with Ed, that was very nice. I bet its pretty hard to get that "Boogie" sort of beat with the thumb/RH fingering. I was surprised to know that a piece like this was included in the lessons. A real gem for sure! :bravo:

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Another T-shirt, another try. Fixed the problem in measure 25, but screwed up the last part of the piece..... again!! Arggg. I did manage to get one recording in which the last part (including the transition to triplets) went smoothly, but I had messed up measure 25!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”