D03 Classical guitar lesson 10

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:02 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:14 pm
Another T-shirt, another try.
Wow, Tom, you and Ken are the EverReady bunnies that keep on going and playing. Very commendable. Good stuff.

Judy

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:02 pm
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:14 pm
Another T-shirt, another try.
Wow, Tom, you and Ken are the EverReady bunnies that keep on going and playing. Very commendable. Good stuff.

Judy
Thank you Judy. Hope you have a great summer and will be ready to join us in the Fall! :discussion:
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Here is another attempt at Malagueña Fácil. I slowed it down a bit (after listening to it, more than I realized). Yet, I was barely able to keep up the tempo, especially at the end. I'll try again...

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi Tom - I really liked this "slower" version.I liked how you changed, depending on the section, the accent on either the bass or melody notes. One thing - on the early strums, I believe the thumb should be an upstroke and then the "m' a downstroke. I am basing this on the upstroke/downstroke definitions found on the TANGO exercise.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:43 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:41 pm
Hi Tom - I really liked this "slower" version.I liked how you changed, depending on the section, the accent on either the bass or melody notes. One thing - on the early strums, I believe the thumb should be an upstroke and then the "m' a downstroke. I am basing this on the upstroke/downstroke definitions found on the TANGO exercise.

Ed
Hi Ed, thanks for the feedback. So I went back and looked at the strum direction indications on the piece and watched Professor Delcamp's video. I suspect what he is actually doing is strumming down using the index finger and up using the middle finger. I don't think he's using the thumb at all for the strumming parts.

Are you saying the measure #1 starts with the base note, followed by strumming upwards then downwards? That is not was is indicated on the score. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you? As much trouble as I've had hitting the base notes, I'd say the way it is noted in the score (thumb down, middle finger up) is easier to accomplish than using the thumb for base note followed by index finger for down strum as he seems to be doing (although it sounds better, my "base note" accuracy is even worse!).

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:16 am

Hi Tom - if I look at the instructions on the TANGO score, the ^ symbol means to strike for low to high (downstroke), then looking at Malequena, it has the thumb hitting the bass and then the the thumb is doing an upstroke, high strings to low followed by the m finger doing the downstroke and the followed by the thumb again hitting the next bass note.

Maybe I am reading that wrong
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Tom - I watched the instructor in slow motion and you are right, he is not using the thumb after hitting the bass notes, and he is following the bass notes with a downstroke (without the thumb) in measures 1 and 2, but then he plays measures 3 and 4 with a bass note then an upstroke. Do the notation must be incorrect.
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:39 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:16 am
Hi Tom - if I look at the instructions on the TANGO score, the ^ symbol means to strike for low to high (downstroke), then looking at Malequena, it has the thumb hitting the bass and then the the thumb is doing an upstroke, high strings to low followed by the m finger doing the downstroke and the followed by the thumb again hitting the next bass note.

Maybe I am reading that wrong
Ed, OMG you are right! I had the strum symbol meanings backward. Thanks for clarifying this (and your patience too). :merci:

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:54 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 pm
Hi Tom - I watched the instructor in slow motion and you are right, he is not using the thumb after hitting the bass notes, and he is following the bass notes with a downstroke (without the thumb) in measures 1 and 2, but then he plays measures 3 and 4 with a bass note then an upstroke. Do the notation must be incorrect.
Ed, I finally saw this too. I had to play it a 1/4 speed to see his fingers work. It is very difficult to get a decent upstroke using the thumb, although I know there are some players who do this (I saw a drill using this technique, on the classical guitar group in LinkedIn. I tried to find it but couldn't).

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:39 pm

First attempt at TANGO. A few stumbles, pauses, and wrong fingers that I need to work out before next attempt.

Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm

First attempt at NOVELETTE #2. Need to smooth out transition between measures.

Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:50 am

My final attempt at Malaguena Facil. Mistakes still there, I cannot believe I blew a month on this one.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:57 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm
First attempt at NOVELETTE #2. Need to smooth out transition between measures.
Hi Ed, very nice start on Novelette. Very few, if any, wrong notes on this one. :bravo: I have not actually listened to this one yet and from listening to your first try, I think I will like this one. It has a nice mellow sort of feel to it.

When working on smoothing things out, be sure and work one line at a time. Your string tone is improving also by the way, keep working on that too. You're ahead of me!

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Tom - thank you. Tone has been my focus for awhile. I am very happy to hear that you think it is improving. Working on first attempt at CLARINES Y TROMPETAS, while working on next attempts at the others. I like the trumpet sound on this one but it is tough to consistently get the 2 notes with the thumb while doing vibrato.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:44 pm
Tom - thank you. Tone has been my focus for awhile. I am very happy to hear that you think it is improving. Working on first attempt at CLARINES Y TROMPETAS, while working on next attempts at the others. I like the trumpet sound on this one but it is tough to consistently get the 2 notes with the thumb while doing vibrato.

Ed
Ed, I'm having the same problem. I focus on the fingering noted in the score and forget the vibrato, or I get some semblance of vibrato but execute "random fingering"... Here's what I want to shoot for in terms of sound, this person has this piece down! (though he doesn't strictly follow fingering noted in score)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”