D03 Classical guitar lesson 10

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:40 pm

that is David Moutre ( not sure on the spelling of last name). Always liked his playing.
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Tom - that was excellent. I set my view speed to .75 so I could watch your fingerings and hear the individual notes. It was terrific. Good for you for staying with it. My type A scatter brain personality makes it difficult for me to stay with something until I get it right. I am using your staying with this to inspire me to get better on each of the lesson 10 exercises.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:25 pm
Tom - that was excellent. I set my view speed to .75 so I could watch your fingerings and hear the individual notes. It was terrific. Good for you for staying with it. My type A scatter brain personality makes it difficult for me to stay with something until I get it right. I am using your staying with this to inspire me to get better on each of the lesson 10 exercises.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I was determined (and frustrated) to get this one down. After listening to your Novelette #2 upload I decided to give it a try last night. That one is among my favorites. I hope to get an upload of this and Clarines y trompetas in a week or so.

By the way, I broke a couple of nails, so I decided to give the Rico Nails a try. The nail salon worked well for me, but 1) people at work (women in particular) began staring at my RH; and 2) I was constantly getting water between the nail and the acrylic layer, the effect of which was very noticeable also (no mold/infection just discoloration). The rico nail kit is working well so far, but is taking some getting used to.
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:14 pm

Hi Tom _ I tried the Rico nails but could never get the hang of it. I have been using Nail Envy for the past 3 months and have actually got some nails to work with. Until now I could never get the "m" nail to grow.

Ed
Cordoba C7

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:43 am

Dear Tom and Ed,
Here is my trying of Malagueña page 1

I noticed that my accords at the beginning have an emphesis on the high top note,
but I want them yo sound more dark,
I wonder if you could give me some advise on how to make it sound darker?
Thank you!
Olga

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:48 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:50 am
My final attempt at Malaguena Facil. Mistakes still there, I cannot believe I blew a month on this one.

Hi Tom,
Oh well, I belive your month are well spent,
I love the easyness on how you play this piece.
I also love the tempo and the tone,
I also noticed that drinking Spanish wine helps with the progress,
well done!
Best,
Olga

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:14 pm
Hi Tom _ I tried the Rico nails but could never get the hang of it. I have been using Nail Envy for the past 3 months and have actually got some nails to work with. Until now I could never get the "m" nail to grow.

Ed
Ed, I hadn't heard of that one so I looked it up. I will get some and try it. As they grow out I can use the real nail instead. Maybe this will do the trick. The RIco's are a good backup for me, though I do have to keep up a supply of glue dots.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:07 pm

OlgaVovk wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:48 am
Hi Tom,
Oh well, I belive your month are well spent,
I love the easyness on how you play this piece.
I also love the tempo and the tone,
I also noticed that drinking Spanish wine helps with the progress,
well done!
Best,
Olga
:lol: You may have noticed I did some "experimenting" of my own (a partially full beer bottle just off camera in the original video, a glass of water in the final). :)

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:41 pm

OlgaVovk wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:43 am
Dear Tom and Ed,
Here is my trying of Malagueña page 1

I noticed that my accords at the beginning have an emphasis on the high top note,
but I want them to sound more dark, I wonder if you could give me some advice on how to make it sound darker?
Thank you!
Olga
Hi Olga. This piece is a challenge and splitting it up (you have done this before) is a smart move. When you say "emphasis on high top note" I will assume the treble notes dominate when strumming the chords at the beginning of this piece?

I had a lot of trouble with the first two lines of the piece (strumming). I'd hit the wrong base notes, and my strumming tone was awful. Thumb control while strumming in what was for me initially, an awkward direction was terrible. I hated the sound I was getting! After a few weeks of this, I started to get a feel for thumb position and I could then control how loud the string sounded. I then focused on how the index and middle fingers were being "drug" across the strings in order to get the right strum sound. One thing at a time.....

Recall Ed's comment to me previously: hit the base note with your thumb, then up stroke the chord with your index finger, then down stroke with middle finger. I could not see your RH in the video but I thought I'd mention it anyway. It is the angle at which your index and middle finger(nail) hits those strings that controls how loud those treble notes are sounding while strumming. Controlling the angle of the finger tips will take time to accomplish.

I believe this style of strumming (index finger up then middle finger down) is a very useful playing skill/tool. So I'm going to keep at it, trying it on some of the other chord-based exercises we did this year.

Have fun! :bye:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:15 pm

Olga - on the strumming. I like the sound of your strum in measures 3 and 4 unlike measures 1 and that sound tinny. Without seeing your right hand I can not tell what you are doing different between measures, but whatever you are doing for 3 and 4 is what you want to do for 1 and 2.

Ed
Cordoba C7

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Dear Ed and Tom,
Thank you very much for your comments/advise, much appreciated.

Ed, yes, 3 and 4 sound good for me , while 1 and 2 sound tinny. And they should not.

Tom amd Ed, I will folow your suggestions and work on upstroke/down stroke techniques,
we will see how it goes :-)
Thank you!
Olga

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:32 pm

First attempt at CLARINES Y TROMPETAS. Some expected stumbles, a hard exercise and a long exercise - tough to maintain concentration.Now my plan is to go back and work with all of the pieces and in August publish my next attempts,

Ed

Cordoba C7

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:32 pm
First attempt at CLARINES Y TROMPETAS. Some expected stumbles, a hard exercise and a long exercise - tough to maintain concentration.Now my plan is to go back and work with all of the pieces and in August publish my next attempts,

Ed
Hi Ed,
Very nice, and I mean it.
It is very weird exercise where one tries to mimic another instrument. And a very hard for one fingers.
And I can hear clarinets and trumpets in your music :-)
Thank you!
Olga

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Olga - thank you. Of all the lesson 10 pieces, this is my favorite.

Ed
Cordoba C7

OlgaVovk

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 10 Malagueña Facil measures 1 to 32

Post by OlgaVovk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Dear Ed and Tom,
Thank you very much for all your help and advice on Malaguenia ,
Here is my second video, where I followed your advice
And I belive it sounds so much better
These are measures 1 to 32

Thank you!