D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.

I'm going to talk to you about the minimum time you need to devote to the study of the guitar, and about the classical position for holding the guitar.

Timetable for the beginner:
In order to progress, you need a little time each day for 6 days of the week. Here is the minimum necessary when you are a beginner:
3 days when you can devote 10 minutes to repeating each difficult passage from 6 to 12 times. I'll indicate these difficult passages to you by putting a box (a rectangular border) around them.
and
3 days when you can devote 30 minutes to studying the guitar, made up of
- 10 minutes practising the difficult (boxed) passages,
- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases (indicated by phrase marks) several times in succession (3 to 6 times)
- and finally 5 minutes playing the piece or pieces in full.

Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Spend most of your practice time on the parts you have trouble playing: difficult passages, difficult phrases. Only play pieces the whole way through once or twice a week.
So we understand one another properly, here is an example of a timetable where sessions alternate between 10 and 30 minutes:
Monday 30 minutes
Tuesday 10 minutes
Wednesday 30 minutes
Thursday 10 minutes
Friday 30 minutes
Saturday 10 minutes

The position for the classical guitar is the product of past experience. The classical position enables us to reduce effort to a minimum, and has arisen from a compromise between the needs for stability, comfort and the efficient use of both hands.

The principles of this position are:
sitting position, back straight, shoulders level,
the guitar rests on whichever thigh is on the neck side.
We raise the head of the guitar level with our head, with the aid of a footstool or of a support placed on the thigh.
The hand which plays the strings is placed over the sound hole, the elbow rests on the edge of the body of the guitar, level with the bridge.
The arm on the neck side is bent to bring the hand up to the height of the shoulder, the thumb is placed behind the neck, beneath the second fret and behind the third string, the fingers are over the strings.
Try to achieve relaxation, from the shoulders right down to the hands.

Some classical guitarists adopt a position similar to that used by cellists. I am not competent to teach you that position, but it is worth being aware of.

We will study some techniques and some exercises.
D01, page 6 and page 7:
- The rest stoke technique (apoyando). Apoyando is a way to vibrate the string by a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to come to rest on the adjacent string.
- The technique of alternating the index and middle fingers of the hand that makes the strings vibrate. To stabilize the hand and fully benefit from this exercise, it is necessary to place the tip of the thumb on the fifth string (A string).
- The tempo. To measure yourself the time, you count the time aloud, as indicated in the score.

The rest stoke technique (apoyando)

Tirando

MI SI SOL RE

Page 6 number 1

Page 6 number 2

Page 7 SOL LA SI DO

Page 7 number 1

Page 7 number 2

Page 7 number 3

To complete this lesson we will try four simple studies, D01, page 8 to page 10,
A la claire fontaine
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune
Il est minuit
SOL LA SI RE

A la claire fontaine

RE MI SOL LA SI

Old Mac Donald

RE MI FA# SOL LA SI SI

Au clair de la lune

Il est minuit

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) : CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page 6)
Anonyme : Old Mac Donald
Anonyme : Au clair de la lune

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page 6)
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune
:( + ♫ = :)

Colin Bullock

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Welcome to Delcamp Guitar Forum Lesson D01.
I’m your moderator for this lesson, here to help with the smooth running of the forum.
I will be updating the list of qualifying videos once a week.

On the musical side we expect students to support each other. This English forum does have Student Tutors who will try to help but their time is limited and they might not be able to answer all questions. Although I’m not a tutor, if the tutors are not available I will try to answer any musical questions you have using my own experience.

There is guidance on the forum basics here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=126025

If you have any questions do ask.
I hope you enjoy the lessons.

Michael Jaffe
Student of the online lessons

Post by Michael Jaffe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Thank you Colin!

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks, Colin! And thanks in advance to the student tutors who graciously spend their time helping us newbies out.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Stephanie Burnham

Post by Stephanie Burnham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:39 am

Thank you, Colin.
How do I register for the D01 class? I have already posted the affiche-sans-date jpg to my Twitter account, and to my next door account. I plan on making copies of the flyer and putting them up around public venues in San Diego. I have downloaded the delcamp_d01 pdf as well.
Please tell me what happens next. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie Burnham

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 am

Stephanie Burnham wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:39 am
Thank you, Colin.
How do I register for the D01 class? I have already posted the affiche-sans-date jpg to my Twitter account, and to my next door account. I plan on making copies of the flyer and putting them up around public venues in San Diego. I have downloaded the delcamp_d01 pdf as well.
Please tell me what happens next. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie Burnham
Hi Stephanie,

Follow this link and follow the examples of others requesting to join various classes.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=1200

Bill :bye:
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:31 am

Hello D01 class.

I completed D01 last year and tested out finishing at the bottom of the class. I am beginning D02 this year and hope to have a better showing but that is really not relevant to learning classical guitar. What I propose to help me become more proficient with the foundations of D01 is that I follow and submit to the D01 class the required material and participate in the review process. I think this will help me to get a better handle on what I may have not taken away from the previous year's effort. At one point in the 2018/19 course it was recommended that I re-apply myself to the previous lessons. I am taking this recommendation to heart and will try to submit the D01 lessons for improvement and review. I hope I can do this and keep up with the D02 class as well. Hopefully this is acceptable to the group. I have no intention of re-testing at the end of D01.

Thanks for considering my request.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi, James! Great to see you again. I'm back to finish D01 this year after dropping out of our 2017 class.

I'd be delighted to have you here with us.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

UtkuDemir

Post by UtkuDemir » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello, everyone. I have added D01 first lecture assignments.

I hope, the sound is audible.

I'm waiting for other students' assignments.

Have a good day!

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Welcome Utku!

Great first submission! In Cordes A Vide you should be muting the notes sometimes. Notice the * in the third bar over the B note and the \2 over the star? That means to mute previous note, the E, with the 2nd finger on the left hand. The same technique is used in Old MacDonald, I just can't tell if you were muting there or not.

In Au Clair de la Lune (which you've labeled as Il est Minuet, no worries about the labeling) you missed the repeat symbol at the end of the 4th bar. That's the 2 dots with the thick vertical bar. It means to repeat the previous measures. Usually you repeat until the start or until the end of the previously repeated section. Listen to Delcamp playing and it will become clear.

Your sound is fine, no worries.
--
Repeat student D01, Student D02

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:52 pm

Hello!

I'm a repeat student of D01. I started in September last year and had some physical challenges which made me get even further behind. I finished 7 of the lessons but not in time to sit for the exam. And the exam is important to me, so I'm back now, taking D01 and D02 at the same time.

With that said, this won't be a slam dunk for me. My bar is high, I want to be way better than last year, I'd like to be perfect but I know that that's not going to happen. And the "red light" syndrome is in full effect. The "red light" is when you freeze up when recording! It even happen to me on what should have been these "easy" pieces. Anyway, here's my submissions from this year. And I'll put in last years submissions so you can see the progress I've made!

And here's my submissions from last year!

--

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Class D01-

These first 2 submissions are very good. Each at it's own level of experience of course and that is obvious. In addition to what Paul has pointed out about damping which is very important to take away from D01 I would point out the contrast in the 2 submissions where the application of "rest stroke" is used. Not just in the i, m, a finger executions but in the thumb as well. To get a good idea what is really meant by rest stroke go to the current D02 Lesson-1 course and listen to the short video by Jules Wilkens. He provides a good discussion about all matters concerning "rest Stroke".

So, excellent submissions by both Utkudemir and Paul.

I'll try to provide recordings at my current level of play for each of these pieces soon.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:36 am

Class D01-

Here are submissions for Lesson-1.

First to note these are submitted for review and study. I've used a metronome for 3 of the pieces and it is set considerably lower than the recommended speed. The 4th piece is submitted to illustrate my free form play and tendency to waver in cadence. I did not use a metronome for my studies over the past year in D01 but I have learned how to not let it dominate my thought process and highly recommend it.

Cordes Au Vide #1

Cordes Au Vide #2

Old Mac Donald

Au Claire de la Lune

James
1972 Morris No. 12
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am

Nice one James! You've nailed the rhythm on the two Cordes pieces, but give a careful listen to Old Mac Donald, sometimes you are still coming in early and sometimes late. You always catch up but that's not the point. One thing I've found useful is to count outloud while looking at the sheet music and watching my videos! It gives great immediate feedback.

While I really like the extra notes in Au Claire you still need to watch your 4 count. Why? Many of these pieces are meant to be danced to and if you don't keep your fours or your threes the dancers will be in trouble.

It's good to see you again! BTW, I just watched your exam submission and man, they must be tough to give that a low grade!
--

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:59 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:36 am
Class D01-

Here are submissions for Lesson-1.

First to note these are submitted for review and study. I've used a metronome for 3 of the pieces and it is set considerably lower than the recommended speed. The 4th piece is submitted to illustrate my free form play and tendency to waver in cadence. I did not use a metronome for my studies over the past year in D01 but I have learned how to not let it dominate my thought process and highly recommend it.

James
Hi James,

Very nicely done. I would encourage you to stick with the metronome for all of your practice sessions and submissions. A notable improvement from a year ago. :bravo:

Bill
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”