D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
UtkuDemir
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by UtkuDemir » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks to Paul Cezanne. I misunderstood the damping previous note concept. I muted the previous note with my right hand. Sorry for that. In the second submission, I'll be more careful.

UtkuDemir

Post by UtkuDemir » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Great submission James. The sound is clear and good. One thing I want to mention is that as Paul says, in Old Mac Donald, you played the notes a bit early than the metronome counts.

Michael Jaffe

Post by Michael Jaffe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Nice work so far all! I should have mine posted either today or tomorrow.
Utku I really like your tone, it is very soft and smooth. I have really tried to focus on my posture while playing. I notice that your right wrist seems turned down a bit instead of straight as I have read in books. I don’t know if that is correct or just natural for you.
Paul, you play very well and I can tell a huge difference from last year’s submissions.
James, I like to use a metronome when practicing also. It helps me keep the recommended tempo. I also will play the piece several times with the metronome to get a feel for the tempo then play without it and it feels very natural at the same tempo then.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:50 pm

UtkuDemir wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:01 pm
Thanks to Paul Cezanne. I misunderstood the damping previous note concept. I muted the previous note with my right hand. Sorry for that. In the second submission, I'll be more careful.
Oh, you sometimes do use your right hand. In Old Mac Donald you use your thumb to mute, that's indicated by the \p under the *. In reality it doesn't matter which finger you used to mute, but right now M. Delcamp is probably just getting us used to doing in both ways.
--
Repeat student D01, Student D02

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Michael Jaffe

Post by Michael Jaffe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 01. Sorry that the lighting is so dark. I will work on that to improve for next lesson. I welcome all feedback from my fellow classmates and tutors. I’ve only been playing guitar for about 7 weeks now so am very much a newbie but willing to work hard. My biggest critique of myself is my left hand position. Didn’t realize until I was done that my left thumb was over the top of the neck. Aaagghhhh....always something to remember!
Mike

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Paul/Utkudemir/et al,
I've spent the summer practicing just a short bit every day I made the opportunity. In truth I made opportunity for more days fishing and otherwise enjoying summer than anything else. Now it's time to get busy and pay attention to that metronome.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:24 pm

I worked on D01.8 and D01.9 and D02.1 for most of the summer without the pressure of the video camera!

Had some fun too...

--

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi Michael,

Well done learning the lessons. I notice something that may just be caused by the angle of the camera from below, but I will mention it. Your right hand seems to be a little out of position. As a result, you are using a sort of "claw" stroke to pluck the strings rather that a sweep stroke, for lack of a better term to describe it.Your wrist may be too close to the soundboard. If you try moving your wrist out a bit, with a gentle curve, and concentrate on moving your finger stroke from the big knuckle joint rather than the middle joint, you will have not only better tone but speed in time. Your hand should also not be pulling the string up but be quiet and still with movement of the fingers only, sweeping more across the string.

The pictures are a little exageratted but this is what I mean. By the way, this is very common with steel string players switching to classical.

"Correct"
IMG_5519.JPG
"Less correct"
IMG_5520.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Michael,
Exceptional for 7 weeks. I would suggest reviewing some of the instructional videos that illustrate posture and hand position. There are several here on Delcamp and also on Bradford Werner's website. I'd also slow it down a bit.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Michael Jaffe wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 pm
Here are my submissions for lesson 01. Sorry that the lighting is so dark. I will work on that to improve for next lesson. I welcome all feedback from my fellow classmates and tutors. I’ve only been playing guitar for about 7 weeks now so am very much a newbie but willing to work hard. My biggest critique of myself is my left hand position. Didn’t realize until I was done that my left thumb was over the top of the neck. Aaagghhhh....always something to remember!
Mike
7 weeks? Yikes well done!

I was going to comment on your left hand but you saw that already.

On the last piece you're looking at the neck. That's nice now but you won't be able to do that always. It's hard to hit the B in on the 4th fret, but we're developing muscle memory now, so it's worth it.
--

Michael Jaffe

Post by Michael Jaffe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Thank you all, I am definitely struggling with good apoyando technique. As result my right hand is a bit of a fight for me. I routinely don’t rest when I hit the adjoining string but keep going thus I hit both strings.
I should have played with the metronome as I did rush things a bit so will certainly work on that. I greatly appreciate the helpful feedback!

UtkuDemir

Post by UtkuDemir » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Michael Jaffe wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Nice work so far all! I should have mine posted either today or tomorrow.
Utku I really like your tone, it is very soft and smooth. I have really tried to focus on my posture while playing. I notice that your right wrist seems turned down a bit instead of straight as I have read in books. I don’t know if that is correct or just natural for you.
I heard in a method DVD (Scott Tennant) or a YouTube video (Classical guitar shed) that he turned his wrist while playing. Therefore, I played like this.

Thank you for your comments.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:44 am

This year we have a number of students who are repeating the lessons. If you are considering doing this you need to remember that we expect students to post new videos rather than repost last year’s submissions.
Obviously the moderators will be looking for signs that these are indeed new videos. Paul in D01 has posted both this year’s and last year’s to show his improvements viewtopic.php?f=41&t=129334#p1378237.
Other ways would be to include a recent newspaper (no Brexit headlines please); or to make sure your previous year’s videos are still posted in the archived lessons and to make your new video from a different angle, or with a different background.

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Wow, everyone, great work so far! I don't have any helpful points I noticed that haven't already been stated, so I'll just ditto what's been said.

Here are my videos. A few fumbles here and there, and apoyando thumb is a definite struggle for me, but at least this time around I've got a classical guitar and in my size! First, my new videos; then my videos from two years ago.

----

Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:37 pm

That's very good Grayson.

I think your technique is solid and it is obvious you have worked on it over this past year. My only constructive comment would be that like me you could gain a more steady cadence.

Keep up the good work.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”