D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jules Wilkins » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:22 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:32 pm
... There are some really good people in this group and it is already starting out with a good pace...
James
Absolutely, I can see that from the number of responses I received and the thought they put into their feedback. Good to see you too. By way of introduction I was doing 01 and 02 before which is where I met James, but I had to drop out just before the exams and hadn't touched the guitar for about 18 months. Hopefully I can stick with it this time round. I will also be trying 03 and 04, but the fact that my submissions here are far from perfect should explain why I am restarting 02.
Ian Howe wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm
Folks,
I'm looking for videos and examples of this thumb damping myself method. I dont think i'm quite seeing it in Mr.Delcamps videos.
This is defo an area i want to work on but i need to see it done properly ultra slowly so i can attempt to replicate the skill. Andy Ideas?
Hello Ian. To answer your question to me I only use a metronome when I need it such as to figure out a piece with timing I cannot quite get or with measures I continually struggle with. As soon as I solve the problem I ditch it as it interferes with musical expression where we want at times to vary the cadence. That hardly applies to my first submissions where I simply screw up here and there as I struggle with smooth finger placements, but once I solve those issues I can concentrate more on the music and less on the mechanics.
To answer your general question to the group, firstly I recall looking for it in some of Delcamp's videos and not seeing it at first, but looking again I saw it. If you cite a specific video I will look again. But all of these damping exercises are extremely difficult to master for me and I would guess for most people. Carrying the skill to a piece it needs to become second nature...something we do without having to think about it or force it. That is finally starting to work for me, and yet as Bill pointed out I neglected to dampen in several measures. Those boring exercises are so important and must be repeated long after we think we have mastered them. Only when it becomes automatic in a piece can we start to conclude that our fingers finally get the point.
I will try to do a slow motion video tonight of my understanding of the technique.

Hello Bill: Great comments and observations, though I am uncertain about your first one. I am pretty certain that I played the exercise in 44, and just to check I replayed the video and counted it out. The tempo slowed a tad towards the end and should be improved, but it is 44 timing. My guess is that you are picking up on the fact that I play it much faster than Delcamp, which is a tempo difference. Clearly Delcamp could play this exercise much faster than any of us, but I think his point is that we need to place accuracy first, knowing that speed will follow. Nothing wrong with increasing the tempo if it doesn't sacrifice accuracy.

Hello Jeremy: And your point is exactly what I just talked about and exactly why I am redoing 02. Just because playing Oh! Suzanna isn't why I play this instrument it doesn't mean I can ignore the suggested fingering.

Thanks again to one and all.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:59 am

Ian Howe wrote:
Folks,
I'm looking for videos and examples of this thumb damping myself method. I dont think i'm quite seeing it in Mr.Delcamps videos.
This is defo an area i want to work on but i need to see it done properly ultra slowly so i can attempt to replicate the skill. Andy Ideas?
I did this video for you Ian, and for anyone with the same question who might benefit from a non-professional answer to your question. I have found over the years that the best way to learn something is to teach it which in large measure is what the format of this course is all about, so even it it isn't helpful to anyone else it was helpful to me :lol:
But I hope it helps others too.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 am

Thank you Jules.

Your explanations were spot-on. Exactly the type of dialogue that is needed to expound on the topic of "rest stroke". It does not matter if it was not exactly what was presented in M. Delcamp's tutorial - it touched on the mechanics of the process enough to define the technique. Although lengthy I will watch it again just to gain the perspective that you are providing.

Good jump into this new year.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:18 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:59 am
Ian Howe wrote:
Folks,
I did this video for you Ian, and for anyone with the same question who might benefit from a non-professional answer to your question. I have found over the years that the best way to learn something is to teach it which in large measure is what the format of this course is all about, so even it it isn't helpful to anyone else it was helpful to me :lol:
But I hope it helps others too.
Outstanding Jules!
Thank you for taking the time to do the video. I feel like we suddenly have an additional student tutor to turn to for advice. :bravo:

Bill :merci:
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:40 am

Hi Jules,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a video and explain the theory behind the damping technique.
It was most helpful and will try to put this into practice later today.
It definitely helps with a video example in this case.

Ian
Alvaro No.20
Take it one | | at a time

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:56 pm

Cool video, I just watched the first minute and I realized I want to watch it in depth. But the "thumb is always free stroke except for the advanced thumb rest stroke," wow, the mind is blown. I need to pay attention to this more.
--
Repeat student D01, Student D02

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 am

This year we have a number of students who are repeating the lessons. If you are considering doing this you need to remember that we expect students to post new videos rather than repost last year’s submissions.
Obviously the moderators will be looking for signs that these are indeed new videos. Paul in D01 has posted both this year’s and last year’s to show his improvements viewtopic.php?f=41&t=129334#p1378237.
Other ways would be to include a recent newspaper (no Brexit headlines please); or to make sure your previous year’s videos are still posted in the archived lessons and to make your new video from a different angle, or with a different background.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 pm

Hey Students! You gotta watch out. I saw the missed 'a' finger comment above in Oh Susanna and went back and looked, I've been playing most of these pieces incorrectly!
  • Danse D'Avila has the i finger on some bass notes
  • 'a' finger in Oh Susanna
  • 'a' finger in Que Ne Suis-Je la Fougere
Now about Que Ne Suis..., in bar 4 the CB is played with mi, so is bar 5 played with mima? If so, doesn't bar 6 have the CB played with im?
Is that really correct?
--

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Jeremy Gillard

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 am

Yes.. watch out for those a finger markings! :)
Now about Que Ne Suis..., in bar 4 the CB is played with mi, so is bar 5 played with mima? If so, doesn't bar 6 have the CB played with im?
I play bar 5 mima.
I play bar 6 the same as bar 3. (imimi)

This seems to go together fine. mimaimimi
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Jeremy Gillard

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 am

Here are the recordings for this lesson:

They are far from perfect, but ok for the first week I hope! :)

Thanks,
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Jeremy Gillard wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 am
Yes.. watch out for those a finger markings! :)
I play bar 5 mima.
I play bar 6 the same as bar 3. (imimi)

This seems to go together fine. mimaimimi
Great, that's what I wanted to do, but I got the impression when descending the fingers descended also. But that is weird in this case.

This is why we use pencil. Thanks!
--

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Jeremy Gillard wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 am
Nicely done Jeremy. You've set the bar for the rest of us. A few minor issues but I suspect you are aware.

Bill
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Yes Jeremy. This is the standard I will strive for. Smooth and very musical.

"Oh! Suzanna" could be played faster but that's not contributing. Both of the musical pieces have the spirit of the tune ringing out clearly.

Very good job.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Jeremy Gillard wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks,
Those are just about perfect Jeremy!
--

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 pm

nicely played Jeremy, as others noted you have set the standard.
Few minor tempo issues but overall sounded very musical
Alvaro No.20
Take it one | | at a time

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”