D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:11 am

RossMoran wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:36 am
You guys are super fast and way ahead of the curve!
Judy and Ken- great playing, keep up the good work.
Hi, Ross. Welcome aboard! :discussion:

Judy and I are continuing students from last course. We just knew what comes next. :ouioui:
I hope you enjoy the course and get much benefitted by Prof. Delcamp's method. I've played guitar for 26 months with Delcamp's lessons and I am very satisfied with where I am.
Look forward to your first recordings. :bye:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Sathish Kumar

Post by Sathish Kumar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Welcome Ross. Looking forward to your videos as well.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Ditto for me Ross.

Judy

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi everyone. I’m another returning student, welcome to Ross and Sathish. Jules I’m not sure if you’re a new classmate but welcome regardless. Rick, thank you for looking in on us as a tutor!

Ken, you set your usual high bar. I am so pleased you have stayed with our group! Hopefully you will get better feedback than Judy or I could offer so you don’t have too many regrets about not going with the French forum.

Judy, your playing has advanced tremendously compared to the start of last year. Now if you were to grit your teeth and commit to applying equal time and effort to the exercises and drills as you do to the pieces you submit, your payoff would be immense! Your surgeon’s mind will appreciate the resulting efficiencies — economy of movement, increased precision and accuracy, reduced effort, strain and tension. With the fundamentals in hand it is much easier to learn and play everything else. Mea culpa, I also prefer the pieces over the exercises, but I’m giving equal time to each now. The payoff is worth it.

My post won’t be up til after the holiday. Enjoy the last days of summer!

Linda

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi Linda, great to see you are back. And thank you for the input.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:25 pm
Ken, you set your usual high bar. I am so pleased you have stayed with our group! Hopefully you will get better feedback than Judy or I could offer so you don’t have too many regrets about not going with the French forum.
My post won’t be up til after the holiday. Enjoy the last days of summer!
:merci: Thank you, Linda and welcome back! :bye:

Jules was my D01(2017~2018) classmate, however, he was enrolled both D01 and D02 together at that time. He was the best player :ouioui: and my tutor :wink: in D01. Take your time to post your recordings. I look forward to your recordings whenever it is ready.
Ken

Sathish Kumar

Post by Sathish Kumar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 am

Here are my first attempts: These are my first video uploads, so please feel free to offer any criticisms/suggestions.

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:26 am

Excellent work, Sathish!
It seems to me that you could be in D04 (or higher) instead. You could try out D04 for a couple of lessons too and still come back into D03 if you think it's a better fit.
John

If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Sathish Kumar

Post by Sathish Kumar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:43 am

Thanks for the suggestion John. I will give it a shot.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 am

Other than the exercise, these are definitely first attempts from a rusty player. However, I go to Calgary next week and while I left a guitar there I am none too sure I will be able to produce a decent recording there, so here it is...

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:18 am

Sathish Kumar wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 am
Here are my first attempts: These are my first video uploads, so please feel free to offer any criticisms/suggestions.
I too think you should try 04, but I also think you should stay in 03 and do both. But I am simply recommending what I and Ken are doing (I am also doing 02). I do have a reason though. For me the idea behind doing an easier level is to concentrate on the basics while the reason for doing the higher level is to truly challenge myself. I need both, but listening to you I think you could also benefit for the same reasons.

Your submissions were of course excellent, but I found the bass in the second exercise to be weak and I found your arpeggios to be too rushed at the sacrifice of quality. In other words, with practice it is clear that you can do even better. Food for thought.

So, a hearty welcome from me especially as it is clear that you will also be challenging the rest of us to do our best. Well done :casque:

Sathish Kumar

Post by Sathish Kumar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:03 am

Thank you for the great advice and feedback Jules. Great submissions from you as well. Here are a few comments.

- Schiarazula : Both melody and bass lines are loud and clear, but I would be interested to hear you play this with free strokes and see if it improves tonality. I am jealous. I cannot play a whole piece with only rest strokes. I keep switching to free stroke.
- arpeggi - Well played. Not at all rushed, and sounds clean.
- A general note - Were you consciously plucking the strings closer to the bridge ? You may need to get used to playing nearer to the soundhole, for other pieces where a softer tone is required.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:46 am

Sathish Kumar wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 am
Here are my first attempts: These are my first video uploads
:bravo:, Sathish.

Your playability is great and steady. :okok: Exercises executed properly and arpeggios sounds good. :ouioui:

I don't see much to say but one thing about syncopation in Schiarazula Marazula. Slight hesitation make too slow to be syncopation. I hear it almost same as 8notes instead of 16notes. :bye:
Ken

Sathish Kumar

Post by Sathish Kumar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks Ken. I had to Google to find out what syncopation means, but I understand now.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:12 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 am
Other than the exercise, these are definitely first attempts from a rusty player. However, I go to Calgary next week and while I left a guitar there I am none too sure I will be able to produce a decent recording there
:bravo:, Jules.

It surely doesn't sound rusty. :okok:
You are very confident about rest stroke. Exercises shows that obviously. Arpeggios played well.
On Schiarazula Marazula, I really don't think rest stroke is good choice for this old passmeze piece. However, you played well. :ouioui:

About your ponticello, your right hand is stuck there and sound little harsh without resonance on all of your recordings. Basic stroke should stay around rosette for balanced sound of bass and treble. You will have to learn freely moving around to change and vary the tone colors, although these right hand position will be introduced in D02. :bye:
Ken

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”