D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi, all.

Here I post GAILLARDE.
There are hiccups here and there. I just could not play without mistakes. It's quite difficult. :?
I firmly believe that this Gaillarde should be placed in the eighth lesson of D03(or possibly D04) at least. :discussion:
Now, I'm focusing on D04... :wink:

Any advice is welcome. :bye:

Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pm

Excellent Ken! Of course you know that these renaissance guitar pieces are often played with a capo to simulate the sound of the period instrument.

Something to try to get speed on those scale passages is to employ p-i scales. This is sort of like lute technique and is a good skill to have in your bag. Practice by playing your normal scale exercises using p-i instead of i-m. You can get good speed once you master the technique, and it sounds great on these renaissance pieces.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Sathish Kumar wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:03 am
- A general note - Were you consciously plucking the strings closer to the bridge ? You may need to get used to playing nearer to the soundhole, for other pieces where a softer tone is required.
Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:12 am

About your ponticello, your right hand is stuck there and sound little harsh without resonance on all of your recordings. Basic stroke should stay around rosette for balanced sound of bass and treble. You will have to learn freely moving around to change and vary the tone colors, although these right hand position will be introduced in D02. :bye:
You both picked up the same thing which I have been vaguely conscious about but ignoring. It has to do with the position and adjustment of my support on the new guitar, as that is where my right hand naturally falls at present. I hope I will not have to move the magnets but can simply play with the adjustments, but something clearly has to change. When I go to Calgary tomorrow I will use my old guitar which after much agony I finally got to a good position for both hands. I am glad that the support came with two sets of magnets at least.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pm
Something to try to get speed on those scale passages is to employ p-i scales. This is sort of like lute technique and is a good skill to have in your bag. Practice by playing your normal scale exercises using p-i instead of i-m. You can get good speed once you master the technique, and it sounds great on these renaissance pieces.
:merci: Thank you much for this valuable tips, Rick.
Wow, p-i scale exercises sound very new to me and interesting. I will try it right away tonight.
I hope it will also help my soft thumb stroke. :bye:
Ken

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:07 pm

There are hiccups here and there.
Ken, I could not discern the hiccups, but Rick's advice about p-i scale exercises is of interest for sure.

Judy

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 pm

Sathish Kumar wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 am
Here are my first attempts:
Sathish, solid 'first attempts'. Well done.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 pm
Ken, I could not discern the hiccups, but Rick's advice about p-i scale exercises is of interest for sure.
Oh, yes! There are 4~5 of hiccups. :twisted:
Exercises of p-i scale isn't easy at all. I think Rick is trying to make us suffer. :mrgreen: :wink:
However, it feels very different from i-m, m-a, i-a. It seems very worth it to practice. It is actually hard to do it. :shock:
Ken

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 am

This year we have a number of students who are repeating the lessons. If you are considering doing this you need to remember that we expect students to post new videos rather than repost last year’s submissions.
Obviously the moderators will be looking for signs that these are indeed new videos. Paul in D01 has posted both this year’s and last year’s to show his improvements viewtopic.php?f=41&t=129334#p1378237.
Other ways would be to include a recent newspaper (no Brexit headlines please); or to make sure your previous year’s videos are still posted in the archived lessons and to make your new video from a different angle, or with a different background.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 am
Other than the exercise, these are definitely first attempts from a rusty player.
Jules, you must have applied rust-proofing before recording, because I did not see a rusty performer - your 'first attempts' provided a solid performance. I agree with Ken's appraisal vis-a-vis considering free stroke for Schiarazula marazula.

Judy

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Still here. Just a quick post to fulfill my regular post requirements. I have been working on everything assigned instead of concentrating only on the submissions but my goodness there is a lot to cover this lesson! The improv is killing me.
Linda

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm
Still here. Just a quick post to fulfill my regular post requirements. I have been working on everything assigned instead of concentrating only on the submissions but my goodness there is a lot to cover this lesson! The improv is killing me.
Linda
Linda, I am so glad to see that you are still on it. I got a little worried that maybe you had decided to forgo Delcamp this year. Looking forward to seeing your submissions.

Judy

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”