D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
JohnEllis
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by JohnEllis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:23 am

Ed,
Nice to hear your post.
On the Damping exercise, as you keep working on it (maybe in your daily warm-up?), it's important for the exercise to keep all the RH fingers that are not plucking on the strings to dampen them.
John

If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:32 am

Ken,
Nice work on the Preludio pentatonica. I'm sure you'll keep working on making the transition to the higher position in the third part smoother.
It feels odd for me to comment on everyone's work not having posted anything myself. So, I'll try to upload some videos soon too.
John

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 am

JohnEllis wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:32 am
Ken,
Nice work on the Preludio pentatonica. I'm sure you'll keep working on making the transition to the higher position in the third part smoother.
It feels odd for me to comment on everyone's work not having posted anything myself. So, I'll try to upload some videos soon too.
Thank you, John. :merci:

I didn't want to do D04, but many advanced players kinda pressure me into D04 along with D03. I'm not used to play more than 3rd position. I'm new to higher positions and never fretted more than 12th fret before. This preludio was my first time fretting 14th. I believe it will get smoother. :D

You don't have to feel odd to put comment because I watched your videos from last year. You already studied this lesson and know well about it. :ouioui:
I look forward to your recordings. :bye:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:14 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 am

I didn't want to do D04, but many advanced players kinda pressure me into D04 along with D03.

I think it's great that you're doing D04. D04 has some very nice pieces and it's what attracted me originally to these online courses.
Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 am

You don't have to feel odd to put comment because I watched your videos from last year. You already studied this lesson and know well about it. :ouioui:
I look forward to your recordings. :bye:
True :)
I skipped around the last two years and did a couple of lessons from D03 and D04 and one from D05 trying to find the right one. It feels like D04 is the right level for me.
John

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:51 am

Having done the bare minimum for 02 and 03, time to start 04...starting with just the exercises.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:50 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:01 pm
Jules -

thank you for the comments and recommendations. At a high-level I understand what you are saying, but I will need to read it 3 or 4 more times and then slowly add it to the practice of the piece before I can really say I understand it. Very glad to have you back.

Ed
This video was made especially for Ed to explain how to count Opus 60 specifically and other pieces generally.
Ed...I hope this clears things up and you can benefit from my feeble attempt.
Everyone else is of course welcome to view it especially if I got anything wrong or if you can add to my effort.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:16 am

My first attempt at Opus 60.
I played it painfully slow because I want to see if I can train my thumb to do the damping. I can damp in the exercises and sometimes in a piece, but if I try to go much faster the thumb simply refuses to obey everywhere. Even at this slow speed I make errors...mostly because I have to concentrate on that thumb damping.
It is kind of an experiment for me. Can I keep at this piece and train my fingers to play error free and can I then pick up the tempo without introducing errors.
Actually, when I watch Delcamp play this piece (and a few others) it seems to me that even he is not damping everywhere that the score calls for. Am I trying too hard or am I missing something when I watch...curious if anyone else struggles with this.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks folks for the nice feedback. I want to also let everyone know that, due to some pressing family issues :( , I have been more or less off-line the past week or more. This will continue until 16 September. At that point I hope to be back to business as usual. Thanks for bring patient :merci:
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Good videos, Jules.
I found the one you made for Ed interesting too.
Jules Wilkins wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:16 am
I can damp in the exercises and sometimes in a piece, but if I try to go much faster the thumb simply refuses to obey everywhere. Even at this slow speed I make errors...mostly because I have to concentrate on that thumb damping.
Me too. I struggle with damping having been accustomed to letting everything ring.
John

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:16 am
My first attempt at Opus 60.
Nice first try with steady tempo. :okok:
About damping, it would be good to do all the damping when you practice slow.
In tempo, I didn't do any bass damping before measure #9. If those previous bass note(s) really bothers current harmony, I do damping seriously but...
[Pro. Delcamp wrote- page 65 Giuliani, Mauro Allegro opus 50 n°13
In these arpeggios, be careful to maintain the stability of your right hand. The right-hand fingering is typical of arpeggios in that the "a" finger plays the first string, the "m" finger plays the second, the "i" finger plays the third, and the thumb plays the 3 bass strings. In this piece, the melody is in the bass.] WILDER BASS needed~!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, all.
This is my final Preludio Pentatonica.
I re-practiced it with suggestion made by advanced players, that I had too much rubato for previous version.
I tried crescendo and decrescendo also but I don't hear much dynamic. :chaud:

Ken

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:53 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi, all.
This is my final Preludio Pentatonica.
I re-practiced it with suggestion made by advanced players, that I had too much rubato for previous version.
I tried crescendo and decrescendo also but I don't hear much dynamic. :chaud:

Great effort as usual. The only useful comment is that you do not need to return to first position to play the final E major chord...all of the notes are right there in the 6th position, and because the character of the notes changes somewhat depending where they are played I think it might sound a bit better also played in that position.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:59 am

Here is my first attempt at Tarrega Preludio

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:43 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:59 am
Here is my first attempt at Tarrega Preludio
:bravo:, Jules.
Steady tempo and nice movement of left fingers. :okok:

:merci: Thank you for pointing out about my final chord. I missed it and never knew about it at all. :oops:

I have one thing to point out on your Preludio. You did damping on Bass of second scale with rest stroke. It should ring fully in count or you could have done it starting with free stroke on 5th string. :bye:
Ken

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Okay, my first post of the season:

FORET Bretonneuse

John