D06 D07 D08 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D06 D07 D08 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone is able to offer me some assistance with the D06 piece by Joseph Ferrer.

The last 4 lines of the piece are played as an imitation of a basque tambour - in the video the professor is making some sort of percussive movement, but the right hand is hidden - does anyone know how this effect is achieved.

Thanking you in advance for your help. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Angela Zhao
Student tutor

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Hello DaveMoutrie
Hi, I wonder if anyone is able to offer me some assistance with the D06 piece by Joseph Ferrer.
You can try to visit the link,maybe it can help you.

:bye:

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:45 am

Thank you Angela- very helpful.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:22 pm

The last 4 lines of the piece are played as an imitation of a basque tambour - in the video the professor is making some sort of percussive movement, but the right hand is hidden - does anyone know how this effect is achieved.

Thanking you in advance for your help. :D
Hi Dave,

Angela has linked to a good video to watch how to perform the "drum" effect with detailed explanations. However, in that Douglas Niedt video there are two things that are not well observed and, however, seem important to me to execute that effect.

First of all, the camera shot is always from the guitarist's left, and so you cannot see the distance from the place where the thumb hits the strings and the bridge. Secondly, the left hand is not observed which, however, I think is very important.

This is the link to a recording by Pablo Sainz Villegas (not Sáinz, as it erroneously appears in the video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqQtFCJm64 The tambora is between 1:05 and 1:23. You can see that the place where Pablo Sainz Villegas hits the strings with his thumb is approximately four fingers (the whole width of the hand) from the bridge. This is important because there is a certain tendency in the students to strike too close to the bridge and that produces a more percussion sound, but it does not allow listening to the musical notes involved.

You can also see the left hand, because to imitate the small metal plates that the "pandereta" (tambourine), more usual name in Spanish for "tambora", has in the hoop in which the membrane is mounted to strike, the drum effect is usually accompanied by slurs that have to be done with the left hand. That is not seen in the Douglas Niedt video, which does not do those slurs.

Last edited by Jesús Morote on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ars longa vita brevis

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Jesús Morote wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 am

Angela has linked to a good video to watch how to perform the "drum" effect with detailed explanations. However, in that Douglas Niedt video there are two things that are not well observed and, however, seem important to me to execute that effect.

Thank you for your help Jesús,

I was indeed trying to hit the strings too close to the bridge. Also the technique in the video you have linked appears to be a slightly different technique in that it no longer appears to be a rotation of the wrist. I guess its good to try different methods and see what works best though.

Thanks again.

Dave. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Has anyone by any chance got a "harmonic analysis" or whatever it may be called of the Bach prelude? Just to make life a bit easier, otherwise it all seems a huge mess.
Yamaha SLG N100

Angela Zhao
Student tutor

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:05 am

Hi Jesús ,Dave
I watched the Gran Jota de Concierto - Tárrega video you sent. It was so wonderful that it was a mix of instruments. As you said the Spanish language "tambora", it is a good example of the characteristics of Spanish music. As Dave said, the video shows a drumming method. Choose the method that suits you according to each person's situation. After all, showing the best music is the ultimate goal of the performer.

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Angela,

You are right: Everyone must choose their own method.

However, I think it should be noted that the recording of Pablo Sainz Villegas is a "bis" (additional short piece that the concertist plays solo at the request of the public after having performed the main concert with orchestra) and that is why it is seen in the video how the members of the RTVE (Spanish Public Broadcasting Corporation) orchestra are after Sainz Villegas. This concert possibly took place at the Teatro Monumental in Madrid (home of this symphony orchestra), which has 4,200 seats. In these large concert halls you have to perform the tambora with great power to be heard, so we cannot rule out that Sainz Villegas has hit the strings farther from the bridge to increase the sound volume. Perhaps in a small room with 300 spectators, he will perform the tambora closer to the bridge. I do not know that.

Dave: It does not seem important to me whether or not the wrist is turned to play the drum. I think the important thing is to give a dry blow and immediately remove the thumb, so as not to prevent the ropes from vibrating. I think the technique is like a bongo drum, a conga or a real tambourine: hit and remove your hand quickly.

Ars longa vita brevis

Françoise Sayour

Post by Françoise Sayour » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:29 pm

I wanted to greet all the students of the Spanish D06 2018/2019. Angela I am very happy that you are like me on the French forum tutoring students. Maria, it will be easier in English for you and you will regalas of your sensitive interpretations .. Jesus you will bring to your habit your enriching musical culture to the group
It is not because we are on separate forums that we can not help each other. I will carefully follow what you are doing and if you wish you can do the same on the other forums, so we will benefit from our experiences.
Sincerely
Françoise :D :bye:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Françoise Sayour wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:29 pm
I wanted to greet all the students of the Spanish D06 2018/2019. Angela I am very happy that you are like me on the French forum tutoring students. Maria, it will be easier in English for you and you will regalas of your sensitive interpretations .. Jesus you will bring to your habit your enriching musical culture to the group
It is not because we are on separate forums that we can not help each other. I will carefully follow what you are doing and if you wish you can do the same on the other forums, so we will benefit from our experiences.
Sincerely
Françoise :D :bye:
Hi Françoise,

I saw (and not only heard :wink: ) your recording of Bach's Prelude in the French Forum. It is very good, but you can improve it. I am yet working on this Prelude, wich I think is not technically too hard; only it is very long. I think its main difficulty is to articulate well the phrases. There are not many chords, but the piece is deeply polyphonic, because there are different voices in a dialogue, not in counterpoint, but alternating. The challenge for us is to bring out this dialogue in our performance.

I do not know if it is authorized to put here your recording. So we can comment it here.

Ars longa vita brevis

Françoise Sayour

Post by Françoise Sayour » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Good evening Jesus, to post my recording on the English forum I would ask the question to Jean-François, thank you for being go see my video. I think that the difficulty of this prelude is in the articulation, the note-keeping, the rhythm of the basses and their extinction. it must remain very fluid and breathe, like a walk, an impressionist dream. I want to improve it, I find that it does not breathe enough, I would like it more contrasted also and I must play it from memory. :bye:

Angela Zhao
Student tutor

Post by Angela Zhao » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Françoise
I wanted to greet all the students of the Spanish D06 2018/2019
I am very glad that you have come to the English forum. You have also become a French forum student tutor. I believe we will play and communicate together. I will also register on the French forum to watch your video. There are several other friends who continue their courses at the Spanish Forum. At the same time, with the help of Jesus, we will definitely gain more. :bye:

Angela Zhao
Student tutor

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:27 am

Hello everyone! Initial trial 998, please guide.

I played Gran Vals before, so I tried to record the video.

There are still many mistakes, I will continue to improve :merci:

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:58 am

You're a fast learner Angela as usual. On the prelude, you need to let your basses ring for their whole value. Try slowing it down an lot an practicing holding those basses.

The vals is great. You attempt it with good tempo, though could use some slow practice. There is a reading error I think in the A section near the end, 12th fret. Sounds off. You give me a good standard to work towards. I've never played that piece before. I have it all figured out and am practicing slowly right now.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Françoise Sayour

Post by Françoise Sayour » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:30 am

Jesús Morote wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:56 pm
I do not know if it is authorized to put here your recording. So we can comment it here.
Jesus, I got the answer from Jean-François Delcamp. I can totally publish the videos and comment on the condition that it is understandable in the language of the forum. :D :bye:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”