Level D02-D08, Ornaments in baroque music

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Level D02-D08, Ornaments in baroque music

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:24 am

Some slur exercises to prepare our left hand

Hello,

I am counting on and hoping for your participation in this course. I am available to discuss with you, to teach you and also to learn from you.

Before we start work on the trill, it would be wise to do some slur exercises to prepare our left hand.

First we shall learn about or revise descending slurs.

In this preparatory exercise we produce the second note of the slur by plucking the string with the left hand finger used to play the first note.
01 Liaisons descendantes - volume 1 page 46.jpg
02 Liaisons descendantes - volume 1 page 46.wma

Next we use a mixture of descending and ascending slurs.
To produce ascending slurs we tap the fingerboard with a finger of the left hand. To get a good result it is necessary that the finger should strike the string close to the fret with a firm movement.
03 Liaisons - volume 2 page 80.jpg
04 Liaisons - volume 2 page 81.jpg
05 Liaisons - volume 2 page 80.wma

Next we'll work on a series of ascending slurs in different positions
06 Liaisons - volume 2 page 82.jpg
07 Liaisons 5 - 6 - 7 - volume 2 page 82.wma

We come to the exercise that prepares us to play trills.
Trills are a rapidly played succession of notes played either a tone or a halftone above the ornamented note.
There is great benefit in using the fingering indicated - where the fingers of the left hand alternate.
08 Liaisons - volume 2 page 83.jpg
09 Liaisons 10 - 11 - volume 2 page 83.wma
Until the classical period, it was customary to start the trill on the higher note.

Gaspar Sanz indicated trills by the symbol T
In Mariona, there is a trill on the open fifth string (represented by a 0 on the top line of the tablature), the A.
10 Gaspar Sanz Mariona.jpg
11 Gaspar Sanz - Mariona.jpg
12 Gaspar Sanz extrait de Mariona.wma
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:( + ♫ = :)

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

W. F. Bach - Table of ornamentation

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 am

Table of ornamentation

We'll be talking a lot about Baroque music in this course.

Here is a reference that you should know. It is a table of ornamentation that Wilhelm Friedemann Bach noted in his Little Clavier Book started at Cöthen on January 22, 1720.
13 Wilhelm Friedemann Bach - Clavier-Büchlein - 1720.jpg

Here is the same table of ornamentation in the key of G.
14 Wilhelm Friedemann Bach- Clavier-Büchlein.gif

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Level 2-8, Ornaments - Mordent - Trills

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:45 am

The mordent

We shall also see the mordent:
15 Mordent (English), Mordant (Français), Mordent (Deutsch), Mordente (Italiano).gif
I propose we enter into the heart of the matter with these very useful exercises:
17 mordants - volume 3.jpg
18 mordants.wma

Trills
The symbols most often used to indicate trills (also called shakes in the baroque period) are:
16 Trills (English), Trille (Français), Triller (Deutsch), Trillo (Italiano).gif
19 trilles volume 3.jpg
20 trilles.wma

Vesuvio

Re: Level 2-8, Ornaments in baroque music

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:06 am

Bonjour Jean-François,

Ceux-ci sont très bonnes et très utile-je vous remercie beaucoup.

Je crois que je comprends tout, mais je ne pense pas confiance en ma capacité à traduire-je pourrais peut-être pas exprimer clairement vos intentions,

Meilleurs voeux, V :D :merci:

Hello Jean-François,

These are very good and very useful-thank you very much.

I think I understand everything, but I do not trust my ability to translate-perhaps I might not express your intentions clearly,

Best wishes, V :D :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:46 pm

On s'en occupe!

Translation is under way!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:05 pm

:okok: Geoff

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Voilà la traduction, en collaboration avec eales. J'espère que ça va. Si vous préferez, Jean-François, je pourrais insérer le texte directement dans vos messages en parallèle avec le français. Je n'osais pas éditer vos posts sans permission. :wink:

Geoff

[Texte inséré dans les messages ci-dessus]
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm

GeoffB wrote:Voilà la traduction, en collaboration avec eales. J'espère que ça va...
merci beaucoup à tous les deux.

GeoffB wrote:... Si vous préferez, Jean-François, je pourrais insérer le texte directement dans vos messages en parallèle avec le français. Je n'osais pas éditer vos posts sans permission. :wink:
oui c'est une bonne idée, ce sera plus facile à lire.

[j'ai supprimé le texte original en français]

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Ornaments - The position of the finger

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:39 am

The position of the finger which produces the slur is essential to get a result
La position du doigt qui produit la liaison est primordiale pour obtenir un résultat. Prenez soin de placer l'ongle du doigt de la main gauche près de la corde. Le doigt se place de manière perpendiculaire à la touche, si il est en biais ou couché, le geste n'est pas efficace.

Voici la plus courante des mauvaises positions. Le doigt est penché, il est mal positionné pour faire vibrer la corde :
The position of the finger which produces the slur is essential to get a result. Be sure to place the nail of the left hand finger close to the string. The finger should be perpendicular to the fingerboard. If it is slanting or too flat, the action will not be effective.

Here are the most common bad positions. The finger is leaning, and poorly positioned to make the string vibrate:
01 non.jpg
Voici une bonne position. Pour produire une liaison, le doigt est perpendiculaire à la touche, l'ongle est près de la corde, le pouce est à l'opposé du doigt qui travaille :

Here is a good position. To produce a slur, the finger is perpendicular to the fingerboard, the nail is close to the string, the thumb is opposite the active finger:
02 oui.jpg
La position du pouce de la main gauche est importante, cette position aide ou contrarie le mouvement des doigts. Si vous placez le pouce derrière le doigt qui fait la liaison vous verrez que vous réussirez mieux votre geste. Faites ce test : faites plusieurs liaisons avec le quatrième doigt alors que vous placez le pouce gauche derrière le premier doigt, puis refaites les mêmes liaisons alors que vous placez cette fois le pouce gauche derrière le quatrième doigt (celui qui travaille). Pour vérifier l'importance de la position du pouce gauche, faites ensuite des liaisons avec tous les autres doigts de la main gauche, vous constaterez que vous commandez mieux un doigt qui fait une liaison quand le pouce est placé exactement derrière lui.
The position of the left hand thumb is important. This position help or hinders the movement of the fingers. If you place your thumb behind the finger which is playing the slur, you will see that the effect will be more successful. Try this test: play several slurs with the fourth finger while you position your left thumb behind the first finger, then repeat the same slurs, this time placing the left thumb behind the fourth finger (the one doing the work). To verify the importance of the position of the left thumb, play slurs next with all the other fingers of the left hand, and you will find that you have better control over the finger playing the slur when the thumb is placed exactly behind it.

Voici des photos pour droitier.
Here are some photos for right-handed players.
03 non 2.jpg
04 oui 2.jpg

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:17 am

Traduction ajoutée. J'ai laissé le texte original. Dîtes moi, s'il vous plait, si vous voulez que je le supprime lorsque j'ajoute la traduction. Et si vous voulez supprimer mes messages ci-dessus (et vos réponses) pour débarrasser ce fil, alors je vous en prie.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Merci Geoff,
ne changez rien, c'est parfait comme cela :okok:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:56 pm

If anyone following this course wishes to put any questions to Jean-François but is put off by the language barrier, please go ahead and I shall attempt to translate, as long as the questions are kept reasonably brief.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Ornaments - Trills - Video

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:29 am

Trills - Video
voici une vidéo toute fraiche de ce matin, j'y joue quelques trilles. Vos questions et commentaires sont toujours les bienvenus. :D
Here is a video recorded just this morning, where I play a few trills. Your questions and comments are always welcome :D
trille volume 2 page 83.jpg
Trille_Trills_Trillo_Trinos_Trinados.wmv

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 am

Merci, Jean-François. C'est très intéressant et instructif. Je n'ai jamais joué les trilles en alternant les doigts comme ça, mais il me faudra l'essayer! :)

(Thanks, Jean-François. That is very interesting and instructive. I've never played trills with alternating fingers like that, but I'll have to try it!)

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Trills on one string - trills on two strings

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 am

Trills on one string - trills on two strings

Merci d'avoir traduit mon message Geoff. :merci:
GeoffB wrote:... I've never played trills with alternating fingers like that, but I'll have to try it!)
Jean-François Delcamp wrote:Cette technique permet de jouer des trilles très longs, comme on en rencontre dans les cadences des concerti (de Vivaldi par exemple).
This technique allows the playing of very long trills, as encountered in the cadences of concertos (by Vivaldi, for instance).
Nous pouvons jouer les trilles sur une corde en faisant des liaisons avec la main gauche.
We can play trills on one string using slurs with the left hand.
01 Trille sur une corde.wma
Nous pouvons aussi jouer les trilles sur deux cordes.
We can also play trills on two strings.
02 Trille sur deux cordes.wma
trilles sur 2 cordes a.jpg
trilles sur 2 cordes b.jpg
Nous pouvons aussi mélanger l'action des deux mains, personnellement j'adore cette technique, très subtile. Dans cette Españoleta de Gaspar Sanz, je mélange les trille sur deux cordes et les trilles sur un corde :
We can also mix the action of the two hands. Personally I love this very subtle technique. In this Españoleta by Gaspar Sanz I mix trills on two strings with trills on one string:
03 Sanz Gaspar Españoletas tomo 2.jpg
04 Sanz Gaspar Espanoletas tomo 2 folio 5.mp3
C'est une technique que j'ai trouvé tout seul, personne ne me l'a enseigné, mais il est quasi certain que bien d'autres doivent l'utiliser comme moi, ou moi comme eux. En tout cas, mes différents maîtres ne m'ont jamais montré cette technique.
It's a technique I discovered all by myself. No one taught me it, but it is almost certain that many others must use it just like me, or I just like them. In any case, my various teachers never showed me this technique.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”