D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 am

Hello everyone,
please start by downloading the new version of volume D04 that I updated today.
We are going to talk about the minimum time you need to devote to the study of the guitar, about the position for holding the guitar, and finally about some techniques, exercises and pieces.

Timetable for the fourth year student:
In order to progress, you need a little time each day for 6 days of the week. Here is the minimum necessary for players of this level :
3 days when you can devote 20 minutes to repeating each difficult passage 9 to 16 times. I'll indicate these difficult passages to you by highlighting them in yellow.
and
3 days when you can devote 50 minutes to studying the guitar, made up of
- 20 minutes practicing the difficult passages (highlighted in yellow),
- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases several times in succession (3 to 6 times)
- and finally 15 minutes playing the piece or pieces in full.

Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 3 hours 30 minutes in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Spend most of your practice time on the parts you have trouble playing: difficult passages, difficult phrases. Only play pieces the whole way through once or twice a week.
So we understand one another properly, here is an example of a timetable where sessions alternate between 15 and 40 minutes:
Monday 50 minutes
Tuesday 20 minutes
Wednesday 50 minutes
Thursday 20 minutes
Friday 50 minutes
Saturday 20 minutes

The position for the classical guitar is the product of past experience. The classical position enables us to reduce effort to a minimum, and has arisen from a compromise between the needs for stability, comfort and the efficient use of both hands.

The principles of this position are:
sitting position, back straight, shoulders level,
the guitar rests on whichever thigh is on the neck side.
We raise the head of the guitar level with our head, with the aid of a footstool or of a support placed on the thigh.
The hand which plays the strings is placed over the sound hole, the elbow rests on the edge of the body of the guitar, level with the bridge.
The arm on the neck side is bent to bring the hand up to the height of the shoulder, the thumb is placed behind the neck, beneath the second fret and behind the third string, the fingers are over the strings.
Try to achieve relaxation, from the shoulders right down to the hands.
Finally, choose a chair of a height that allows your thigh to be horizontal, so that your guitar will be supported in a
stable manner. If your thigh is angled in one direction or the other, your guitar will slip and interfere with your playing.

Let us start with a little exercise to warm up the hands:
bend the fingers several times from the first (large) joint
bend them at the middle joint
bend at the middle joint until the fingertips touch the palm, then (maintaining contact with the palm) draw the fingertips as far up as possible before stretching the fingers out again.
Slide the thumb along the length of each of the four fingers in turn
Slide each of the four fingers in turn along the thumb.

Next we will look at, or revise, pages 26 and 58 of volume D01
- page 26 of volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) POLYPHONIE - Apoyando
- page 58 of volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BUTÉ - APOYANDO - REST STROKE - APOYANDO
These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
The rest stroke is a way to play the string with a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to move until it comes to rest on the adjacent string. Working on this technique will allow you to discover the best position for your plucking hand (the right hand if you are right-handed).
If you are already used to plucking the strings with free strokes, the simultaneous rest strokes with the thumb and a finger will seem difficult to you, even impossible. But be assured, with patience and perseverence, this difficulty will be resolved in 30 minutes. I know from experience that the first tries are truly discouraging, particularly for adults. It is for this reason that I wish to reassure you in advance, take heart, you will be able to do it.

Let us now look at some exercises from volume D04.
- Page 126 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) STRING DAMPING
These techniques are essential in polyphonic playing. Guitar playing is unique in that we must stop the resonances, in particular those of the open strings. Without these string damping techniques, polyphony is blurred by dissonance.

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 65, 87, 91 and 102.

- page 65 Giuliani, Mauro Allegretto opus 50 n°13
In these arpeggios, be careful to maintain the stability of your right hand. The right-hand fingering is typical of arpeggios in that the "a" finger plays the first string, the "m" finger plays the second, the "i" finger plays the third, and the thumb plays the 3 bass strings. In this piece, the melody is in the bass.

- page 87 Tárrega, Francisco Preludio
Shape the rising and falling passages by using crescendo and decrescendo.

- page 91 Tárrega, Francisco Estudio ostinato, en la mayor
To bring out the two voices in this little piece, play legato for the melody in the bass, and staccato for the repeated phrase (ostinato) in semiquavers (16th notes).

- page 102 Foret, Stéphanie Bretonneuse
Bars 17, 18, 21 and 22: the small quavers (8th notes) with a line through them are acciaccaturas http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory23.htm#grace . Here the acciaccaturas are played by sliding rapidly with the finger indicated from the small note to the normal-sized note. The line linking the two notes represents this slide.
You will see that each phrase consists of a total of 8 measures. The bass line is made up of two notes: A (the dominant) and D (the tonic). Bretonneuse is in the Dorian mode. Vary the tone used so that you never play two phrases in succession with the same tone.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 58 (D01) : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BUTÉ - APOYANDO - REST STROKE - APOYANDO
- page 126 (D04) Delcamp, Jean-François Terminer - Fermare - Damp – Apagar
- page 91 (D04) Tárrega, Francisco Estudio ostinato, en la mayor
- page 102 (D04) Foret, Stéphanie Bretonneuse

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

:discussion:

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

BUTÉ - APOYANDO - REST STROKE - APOYANDO
Terminer - Fermare - Damp – Apagar
Estudio ostinato, en la mayor
Bretonneuse

Giuseppe Gasparini
Bretonneuse

Elías López Cruz
Bretonneuse

Jeremy Hickerson
Bretonneuse

Abie.Solano
Bretonneuse

Greg Johnson
Bretonneuse

Michael Collings
Bretonneuse
:( + ♫ = :)

Giuseppe Gasparini
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 am

Hello, I begin. :bye:
[media]https://youtu.be/ufP_idrbFGo[/media]

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Giusseppe! Some pieces are not necessary to post, any way it is good to put them in order to receive comments and critiques.

During the vacations I recorded the Giuliani allegretto and I put it here in order to have some C&C.
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/v ... 23&t=16755
I´m not sure if this is the way to put the link. Good start anyway!
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Thank you Elías, your very beautiful. :bye: :merci: :bravo: :bravo:

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:42 pm

:bravo: Giuseppe. :bye:

You will take two classes this year?
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks giran, if I can, I make two classes, this study is wrong, the old score. :bye: :merci:

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Well done Giuseppe and Elias.

I just started the two pieces yesterday and can play them trough but still not close to the desired speed.
Looking forward to posting them next week.

In the acciaccaturas, do you slide and also play the last note or just slide?
- Abie
(ES)(EN) No hay cosas imposibles, sino hombres incapaces ...
------------------------
Guitarras: 2010 Alberto Paredes (Pino suizo), Antonio Carvalho 4C (Cedro)

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:23 am

Abie.Solano wrote:Well done Giuseppe and Elias.

I just started the two pieces yesterday and can play them trough but still not close to the desired speed.
Looking forward to posting them next week.

In the acciaccaturas, do you slide and also play the last note or just slide?
Hi Abbie! :D in the acciaccaturas one slides playing the first note ony :casque: . On the other hand I would like to hear your renderings!
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:37 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/S6TqgjbNSEg[/media][media]https://youtu.be/bl1ZWbesMtA[/media][media]https://youtu.be/yS0G1yQlDHQ[/media]Hello everyone, this is my job, one week. :bye:
Last edited by Giuseppe Gasparini on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:41 pm

:bravo: Giuseppe. Very nice and expressive. :bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm

For some reason I can't hear any sound (audio) in Guiseppe's postings??
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi Jeremy, the audio is definitely there. I wonder whether you've somehow turned down your output volume. Can you hear M. Delcamp's videos earlier in the thread?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 am

Hello Goran, :merci: :merci: :bye:

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Yes, I hear Francois' recordings no prob - and I have turned the icon volume on the youtube link all the way up as well as the volume on my computer speaker.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Ah - it must be a mono recording with output on only one side, I can hear it on my laptop! On my PC I have a speaker hooked to the computer (that is my daughters have hooked it up) and I have noticed before that it only gets one side of the audio. So problem solved!
Jeremy

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”