FAQs for lessons

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Sean Duggan

Re: FAQs for lessons

Post by Sean Duggan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi
is it ok start d001 in mid october 2012 and if yes will it be hard to catch up
i am making quite slow progress through Noads book at the moment and have been thinking about changing tack
by taking the online lessons
Reform

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Reform,

You can join the lessons at any time after they begin. It shouldn't be too difficult to catch up if you're only a month late. Especially if you get a headstart in your spare time by viewing last year's D01 lessons.

Good luck!

Alan

Amin Kawas

Post by Amin Kawas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Well, can I know at which level the student can be familiar to read most of the simple sheet music?
I know even in D12 there gonna be new things to learn, but I'm not talking about the very complicated symbols...
Thanks in advance :)

-Amin

Ross MacLennan

Post by Ross MacLennan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the great reasource. Just registered today and am waiting to sign up for the new september 2012 lessons.

Thanks Again
Ross.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:10 am

Amin Kawas wrote:Well, can I know at which level the student can be familiar to read most of the simple sheet music?
I know even in D12 there gonna be new things to learn, but I'm not talking about the very complicated symbols...

-Amin
Hi Amin,

There's obviously not an exact answer to that, as it's a gradual progression, but I'd guess that by the time you've finished level D03 you'll be able to decipher most simple sheet music. When you come across symbols you are unfamiliar with, there are sites such as http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm which may help.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Amin Kawas

Post by Amin Kawas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:33 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Amin Kawas wrote:Well, can I know at which level the student can be familiar to read most of the simple sheet music?

-Amin
Hi Amin,

There's obviously not an exact answer to that, as it's a gradual progression, but I'd guess that by the time you've finished level D03 you'll be able to decipher most simple sheet music. When you come across symbols you are unfamiliar with, there are sites such as http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm which may help.

Geoff
What an amazing resource! that's all what I need many many thanks Geoff! :)

BradKemper

Post by BradKemper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:46 pm

A quick question: Are the lessons provided in standard notation only? I am horrible at reading sheet music. Any chance the lessons are provided in tablature?

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

bradkemper wrote:A quick question: Are the lessons provided in standard notation only? I am horrible at reading sheet music. Any chance the lessons are provided in tablature?
Hi bradkemper! :) I think that it is good to make the effort to read in standard notation :wink: , it is something you´re gonna appreciate the value of! :casque: :bye:
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Elías is right, and I think I can tell you pretty definitely that the lessons will not be offered in tab. For one thing it would take too long to convert all the sheet music used in the lessons to tab, and for another thing part of the purpose of the lessons is to teach you to play from standard notation. Once you've learned to do that, it will open up a whole world of music to you, starting with the huge resources on this site.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

BradKemper

Post by BradKemper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. So, how do I apply to join the next class?

Brad

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Brad,

Just put your request at the end of this thread after September 1st.

Alan

Rigoberto Mora

Post by Rigoberto Mora » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 pm

What sort of messages i need to post in order to get the guitar lessons, and i read the list on the level d01, is something that i know and play, you thing can i skip this level and go to to the next.
gracias

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi Rigoberto,

For levels D01 to D03, you need at least two messages before you can start the lessons, which should include one to introduce yourself and one to register for the lessons. You still need to introduce yourself here. (There are instructions and some ideas on things to say, if you need any, here).

Requests for registration will be accepted from tomorrow.

You can choose to skip level D01 and start with level D02 if you wish. Further information can be found here and here.

If you would find it more convenient to take the lessons in Spanish, you can register on the Spanish forum here: http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ where the same lessons and all discussion will be in that language, as you can read here.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Elainecarol

Post by Elainecarol » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Is it possible for me to start the lessons with my guitar that has no nylon strings, just until i can change them?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi Elainecarol,

I'm afraid any recordings need to be made with a nylon strung guitar. Anyone can see the lessons, so you could follow them as an observer in the meantime, practising the pieces by yourself, but without participating actively, and then when you get a nylon strung guitar you could join the group and catch up from lesson 1, submitting your recordings on your new guitar. Students can join the lessons at any time during the year, so if you're not ready to start immediately you can always join later.

By the way, I see you have not yet introduced yourself (not in a separate topic anyway). Could I invite you to do that here? (There are some instructions and ideas on things to say, if you need any, here).

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”