D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello everyone,
if you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 89, numbers 13, 14, 15 - Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 13, 14, 15 on page 89. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

- Page 94, numbers 29, 30, 31. Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
We have already worked on the rest stroke (apoyando) with the fingers of the right hand. Now we are going to work on doing a rest stroke with the fingers of the left hand. That is the best way to learn how to execute descending slurs. In number 30, bar 2, the fingers of the left hand execute the slurs with the help of the rest stroke. The fingers 4, 3, 2 and then 1 pluck the second string then finish their move by coming up against the first string. Place the left hand fingers vertically in relation to the fingerboard, that's the right position to play slurs.

Finally, we'll look at 3 pieces, pages 14, 30, 46 et 47.
- page 14 Francis CUTTING (ca. 1600) PACKINGTON'S POUND
There are numerous repetitions, so vary the tone colour to avoid monotony. To obtain different tone colours, play:
- over the soundhole (the sound volume is at its best here and you get a good balance between the bass and treble notes);
- over the fingerboard (the sound here is softer, closer to the that of a clarinet, and the basses are softened);
- near the bridge (the sound here is more metallic, and becomes close to that of the harpsichord, the basses are strengthened and the trebles weakened).

- page 30 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) SALTAREN
This dance will serve as a basis for improvisation work proposed in lesson N. 7. The sequence of the three following chords: D Major, G Major, A Major requires imagination to avoid monotony. In order to avoid monotony use dynamic changes (fortissimo, forte, piano, pianissimo), different sound colors (sound hole, fingerboard, bridge, with nail, no nail) and different strumming styles: rasgueados, plucked chords, arpegiated to the bass or treble, etc … .

- page 46-47 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTE
This piece consists of three sections, the third section being identical to the first, so it has an A-B-B-A structure, also called ternary form.
Vary the tone colour to avoid monotony.

I advise you to work on all the exercises and the four pieces for a week. Then please record and upload your recordings of the following:
- page 14 Francis CUTTING (ca. 1600) PACKINGTON'S POUND
- page 30 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) SALTAREN

Good luck!

I thank Eric (wchymeUS) and Geoff (GeoffB) who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

Stewart Doyle
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

Coen van Dijk
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

Ned Henderson
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

Goran Penic
PACKINGTON'S POUND

Jack Jarrett
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

Mark Bacon
PACKINGTON'S POUND

rachid merabet
PACKINGTON'S POUND

Richard Judge
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

Richard Lawrence
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

Marko Räsänen
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN
:( + ♫ = :)

Stewart Doyle

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Stewart Doyle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Dear M. Delcamp - I think the date suggested is from another post?
I advise you to work on all the exercises and the four pieces for a week. From February 1st, please record and upload your recordings of the following:
Kind regards

Stewart

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks, Stewart, for spotting that. I've taken the liberty of editing it out of M. Delcamp's post to avoid any confusion.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Here are my first posts. Packington's Pound is a bit slow and I miss damping a few of the bass notes, but hopefully you can tell I like the piece....
Next time, faster and without the LH thumb!

[media]https://youtu.be/xGZ6qW0ELyw[/media]

The Saltaren chords are a bit wild - I start with the thumb in the right place to damp, but then get carried away a little....
I'll try for more control next time.

[media]https://youtu.be/fYX94ch017M[/media]

Season's greetings,

Stewart

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:41 pm

:bravo: Stewart. I like your Packington's Pound.
Very good :bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi Steward
I like your Packingtons Pound. Even if it is slow, I think it suits the piece.
I think you made a reading mistake at bar 31, If I heard correctly:
You played bars 29, 30 and 31 exactly the same. However, bar 31 is slightly different from the previous two. :contrat: ( :lol: I like this smily).

The saltaren is good too. I am not anything near what you are doing, mostly because I cant play too loud when the kids are sleeping...Second I am not used to trumming and had to look up what rasgueados means :oops:. But rasgueados is pretty cool, so I am practicing it...(as quit as possible)

Here´s my version of Packingtons Pound, I like the piece a lot too, I hope you can hear it too :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:06 am

:bravo: Stewart, for a very nice Packingtons Pound, slower than the written tempo but very nice none the less! And your strumming is good, and as with Coen, I too am deficient on the strumming department.

:bravo: :bravo: Coen, one for a very nice rendition of Packingtons Pound, and one for your keen observation of the missed bar by Stewart, obviously showing how closely you are watching our videos!

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:10 am

Well done Stewart really nice use of tone.
Coen in your rendition you can really hear the separation between the melody and the bass. Very Nice.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:48 pm

:bravo: Stewart - excellent first posting I thought, the Packington's Pound sounded really good, very crisp - I think you are managing the damping better than me, even if you missed the odd one, the timing is very clear even if the tempo as you say is a bit slow. I think it is best to take it slow anyway and focus primarily on the technique for now.
As for the Saltaren, I thought that was great too...yes the thumb position slips now and again, you seem to lose it towards the end but I thought the sound of the rasguado was very good and I liked the feel of your playing...

Coen - like Richard, I felt the separation between the bass and treble was very pleasing in your Packington's Pound. I think there is one place where the timing breaks down, probably you were aware of that....the tone is especially good in the final section, I thought that was where your playing sounded the best.

Ned

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 pm

:merci: everyone for your kind comments and thanks to Coen for spotting my mistake. Something else to sort out for my next try.
Coen - I really enjoyed your Packington's Pound - your bass notes do sound more distinct than mine. Are you doing anything to bring these out or does it just come naturally?

Stewart

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Dear All

Here is my festive rendition of Packington's Pound...I meant to light the candle before starting my practice but unfortunately the sheer excitement was just too much :lol:

I will post the Saltaren soon but so far it is just too scuzzy (not sure this is a bona fide CG term but never mind!)

[media]https://youtu.be/s0wf4H0FpUM[/media]

Happy Christmas

Ned

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 am

Hi Steward you asked:
...your bass notes do sound more distinct than mine. Are you doing anything to bring these out or does it just come naturally?
No, it did not come naturally, I deliberatly practiced it that way....a lot..... I play the bass notes with my thumb apoyando and with more force than usual and try to perfect my damping at the same time. I thought it fits the piece and I like it that you all seem to hear my effort to seperate the bass and melody so clearly and also like it that way. Thanks!

Ned, I did not have time to listen to you recording yet, but you said:
...the tone is especially good in the final section, I thought that was where your playing sounded the best.
Yes I agree. The last section however I play with my right hand pretty far up the neck. I like the sound there too, but it is not a normal position. I have a spruce top guitar which sounds colder/cleaner than a ceder top when when playing with the RH over the sound hole. Some times this is nice, other times I wish I had a ceder top. I find my RH often playing more towards the neck than over the sound hole.
The other reason for it sounding better there is me relaxing, knowing I come to the end and I did not make to many mistakes yet.....

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:54 am

Ned well played.
The only thing I would say is that one of your reindeer looks like it may be a moose :D

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:36 pm

:bravo: Ned, very nice! :casque:
:merci:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:50 pm

:noel: Ned :noel:,
very good, and a merry Christmas to you too!
I noticed a few changes in tempo / hesitations. Also a few variations in the tone, which may have do to with a finger nail being too long ( or the other too short)? I just broke half my i-nail and the complete playing part of my m-nail is gone. My playing at the moment sounds like sqreeeeech, thumb, sqreech, thumb when i play imim :cry: :cry:

But I must say, very good for the first try. I also like your rolling of the notes. Maybe experiment with the RH position a bit more to get more different colors into the phrases? I find changing my RH posistion and keep the rithm going at the same time very difficult.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”