D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Elías López Cruz

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Elías López Cruz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Hello Goran! Good performance on the Carulli´s Andante. I like your right hand technique of resting the thumb on the strings. Bravo! I expecto to record on video my lessons, my camera failed some weeks ago. Best from Elías. Have a Happy New Year!
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi All,
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. I hurt my back a few weeks ago and have not been able to sit and play much. I will try to put up a video as soon as I can. I just had a look at the postings. Everyone is making great progress. Never thought I'd hear you guys shy away from a little strumming. :)
Ross

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:48 am

Sorry to hear about your back Ross! I was missing your posts, and hope you heal soon.
I guess I can't procrastinate any longer, so here is my strumming.
[media]https://youtu.be/nHiGS9EfLDs[/media]

Definitely something I need to work more on!
Happy new year, Feliz ano nuevo,sretna nova godina,glückliches neues Jahr! :ivresse:

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:32 am

Jack,

Not bad at all! That technique appears to come more naturally to you than to me. Then again, you look like you have fairly large/strong hands, and this probably helps (whereas mine are the same size or smaller than most women I know). My only suggestion is to vary the rhythm and dynamics.

Ross-Take care of that back, they take long to heal!

I'll be uploading the strumming soon and maybe also a redo of the Pack. I'm tempted to do the Carulli piece as well (this month's lesson has so little "homework" compared to the others!).

Happy New Year my D03 friends!

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:11 pm

:bravo: Jack, Very good. I still have not mastered that piece. :(

Happy New Year to all :bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:58 am

Well here's a second go at Packingtons Pound, a little faster than my first post.
Hope to see some more posts!
[media]https://youtu.be/a81DVolWGLk[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Well played Jack I am struggling to find quiet time to get a recording done but hopefully will get something down before lesson 5 is posted.
If you watch M. Delcamp's recording he keeps his first finger on the B bass note from bar 17 all the way to to bar 31 damping it with rest strokes on the bass E. His left had barely moves at all during this section.
I am finding it particularly hard to get the repeated phrase to sound even tempo and volume for all repeats.
I think your right wrist is getting a bit too close to the sound board so that you are plucking the strings using your second knuckle rather than the the large knuckle where the fingers meet the hand. This may be affecting your tone as the strings are plucked side to side rather than being pushed into the soundboard.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Mark - less than perfect but I enjoyed it. As you know, there were a couple of hesitations but there was a clarity and crispness I liked about your recording, the bass notes were sustained clearly and the trebles rang out. You are also playing at a faster tempo than most of the students in this lesson and - mostly! - carried it off.

Coen - it sounded alright to me. I didn't fall asleep or break anything...what I liked was the fullness of the rasquado movement. all of the nails making a raking contact with the strings. The basic pattern was good and you could liven it up with more variety in the RH strumming patterns

Jack - your Saltaren sounded good to me too. One small point I wondered about...your right thumb leans a bit heavily on the bass strings and I would think about leaning less heavily if you can, as I think it may reduce the freedom of movement in the right hand, when you want to switch from strumming with fingers to strumming with the thumb too. But this is a detail and good for a first effort, better than mine at this stage...which reminds me, time I made a recording of my efforts...
The second Packington was good too - I liked the variety in tone produced by shifting RH position. I think your timing is slightly wooly or approximate in one or two sections when the semiquavers/sixteenth notes come in. Personally I find it hard to maintain a precise tempo during the different sections of the tune - sometimes I start off too fast with the quavers and then can't keep up the tempo with the semiquavers, and it may be better to go a little slower and keep it even...also Richard's comments on your RH plucking made sense to me, I have been pondering for a while on your right hand but I think he may have put his finger on something there (so to speak!)...I have a tendency too sometimes to overuse the second joint of the RH fingers but in the end the plucking motion is cleaner and less effortful if it starts at your knuckles.

Ross - I hope you make a good recovery and get well soon

Happy New Year to everyone.

:bye: Ned

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:22 am

Michael and Ned,
Thanks for your keen observations,these are good points and things I will try harder to get right.

Rachid Merabet

Post by Rachid Merabet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Goran, Jack, coen, Mark :bravo: :bravo: :guitare: :guitare:

Hello, Congratulations and Happy New Year to all.
Packing'ton's 2.mp3
:bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:40 am

Hi Rachid, Well Played

I notice some of your bass E's are cut short. If you play these with a thumb rest stroke you can keep your thumb lightly on the A string where it is ready to play next. When you play the A string follow your thumb round in a circle to rest back on the E string to damp it. It is then ready for the next bass note. If you are doing this then perhaps you are pushing your thumb too far between the strings?

I've plenty time to post but no time to play :cry:

Rachid Merabet

Post by Rachid Merabet » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am

Thank you very much Richard, I have carefully noted the comments. I will try to apply them for next time.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Happy New Year to everyone!

Ned – and also a belated Merry Christmas to you too! – your video with its assured performance, props and greeting was most enjoyable. One minor point, on a couple of occasions you play a dotted minim as 2 beats rather than 3 (e.g. bars 8 and 28). Regarding your point and Coen's response about damping - I too have problems with damping. Coen’s suggestion might work for you, but it feels as though my problem is caused by the thumb ‘wanting’ to pluck the damped string, so I’m not sure it’ll work for me.

Michael – sorry to see you go; your insightful comments and advice will be much missed. I’m sure you’re well suited to D04 though – good luck!

Goran – both your pieces are a pleasure to listen to – you really seem to have mastered the damping. Thank you for the kind comment on my Packington’s Pound.

Jack – your second post of the Pound is so much better than the first, you obviously managed to get some good practice in over the festive period. Your strumming sounds strong and looks controlled too, complete with good damping of the bass strings. If you record another version I guess you’ll add some more variation.

Mark – well done for posting earlier and with the odd mistake - some lovely playing too though. I think it’s great to see the improvement that comes about through practice (as with Jack’s two Pounds) and I’m sure it's much more encouraging for those thinking of joining us or contributing to see that they don't have to be flawless polished performances. [Not that we haven’t seen some, but I hope you know what I mean!] That said – you are such a good player and performer that I’m sure, if you choose to do so, you could submit a version without the hesitation and with all your usual quality. One final, minor thing - I think you made the same mistake as me (that Coen spotted) - you played bars 29,30 and 31 the same.

Rachid – well played. Apologies if you’ve already answered this, but is there any chance you could do a video recording? It would definitely help people give advice.

Coen - I enjoyed your Saltaren - it was certainly more controlled than my effort and very well filmed for anyone viewing.

Ross – I hope you get better soon. I’m sure guitar playing can’t be easy with back pain - my back used to be uncomfortable when I used a footstool, although it’s better now I’ve switched to a guitar support – and this is without a back problem.

I hope I haven’t missed anyone. I think that the next lesson starts next Tuesday (10th) so I better get going if I’m going to try the pieces again. I'd really like to try to get closer to Coen's distinct bass notes in the Pound…..

Stewart

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Dear All

Happy New Year.
Just wanted to put a second post up before end of this lesson.
Not one of my best practices, I am still finding the damping very difficult...I think I am having a similar difficulty to the one you mention Stewart...it seems my thumb has the impulse to pluck the damped string...and so I have to inhibit that impulse, and it is time and energy consuming and throws things out of kilter. It seems to get worse when I speed the piece up closer to its correct tempo so maybe I should continue to practice the piece more slowly...

[media]https://youtu.be/Xm_XSEg5nZU[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/m6lz5EGn4pY[/media]

Ned

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Ned your thumb is working well getting the damping in the Packingtons Pound. Once the damping is done it can rest on (above) the bass strings. Are you using your thumb for some melody notes?
Your saltaren has nice variation too.

I've been playing with a new mic tonight and have decided to post an audio only.
This was the first one all night that didn't have any glaring fingering issues (just getting the tune wrong) so I was pleased with it. I think I tend to play on the edge of my ability when it comes to tempo. :roll:
I will still try and get some video up over the weekend. (No promises though :| )

PS I was just thinking how mic positioning makes a big difference to the tone but my new mic has alot of background hum. Just realised it's the fan in my laptop vibrating through the table. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”