Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stefan Srećković

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Stefan Srećković » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 am

My approach is to get an hour+ of practice each day. I don't keep any track of my progress, I just jump in and do it. It has been working out for me.

Keeping any kind of a log is very cumbersome in my book.

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am

Hi,

Maybe you can give http://www.tomsplanner.com/ a try, it's free. :casque:
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:
Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:Why not following timetables by prof. Delcamp:
for beginners:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=89501
and there are schedules at the beginning of each course (DO2, DO3, DO4, etc)
I think perhaps there was a misunderstanding regarding my request. I am clear about the practice schedule but simply was looking for a means to keep a log of that practice and wondered what worked for others. In the past, I kept a basic Word doc with date/time/exercises and pieces practiced but it got too cumbersome. Thanks, M
Never Mind the Bollocks

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 am

@‪Madeleine Pashkofsky‬ » 18 Sep 2014, 02:29
- yes, it is misunderstanding from my side. Please, accept my apologies.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

John Daily

Post by John Daily » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:Hi,

Maybe you can give http://www.tomsplanner.com/ a try, it's free. :casque:
It's kind of free. You can use it but, without paying a monthly fee, you can't back up or save your progress charts locally, and you can't print or export. If you can live without those things, then it's great and easy to use.
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote: I think perhaps there was a misunderstanding regarding my request. I am clear about the practice schedule but simply was looking for a means to keep a log of that practice and wondered what worked for others. In the past, I kept a basic Word doc with date/time/exercises and pieces practiced but it got too cumbersome. Thanks, M
I'd suggest BORG Calendar. It's Java-based, allows you to view and print your progress by month, and will also give you pop-up or email reminders if you're a procrastinator like me :) The other one you might try is eHour. Both of these are Open Source, which means they're completely free to use, and not crippled in any way. I believe they're both still being worked on, as well.

EDIT to add: I included direct links because they are not to commercial sites or products and, thus, I believe they are acceptable according to the forum's "rules and procedures" FAQ. If I misinterpreted, please accept my apologies.

Linda Shepherd

Post by Linda Shepherd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi All,
I'm having fun working through this first weeks' DO2 material, and although I have been playing for years, I have enjoyed revising the rest stroke. Since I always play free stroke, this has been challenging! The other challenging thing for me is the damping of notes - quite logical of course, but something none of the tutor books I have used mentioned. I am finding this hard to perfect - can anyone provide a link to a helpful video that deomonstrates and explains how to do this properly? Are there particular rules as to which finger one uses to damp the note?
Many thanks,
Linda

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Linda,

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, but something I would always recommend is to very carefully watch the videos of M. Delcamp; you can often see him using his thumb to damp to the lower strings. These are most prone to ringing on.
Of course, if you need to damp the fifth string A and the next note is the sixth string E, you can simply follow through with the thumb to rest on the fifth string to damp it.
There are other techniques where you deliberately let your left finger damp an adjacent string, but this is probably introduced in later years?

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Stewart

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 pm

In order for our submissions to qualify for the year end exam do the file names or titles have to follow a certain convention? I'm guessing they have be named exactly as Mr DelCamp lists them at the end of each lesson. Now I'm repeating a course and so will already have some of those exact titles on my Youtube account. Will that cause an issue? Should I just delete those old uploads?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Håvard.Bergene
Student of the online lessons

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi. Mark. Good to see you back in the lessons. No need to delete the old ones. I suggest adding a version 2014 or similar. The name on youtube does not matter, but of course you should make a note of the name of the piece to go with the youtube link so it is easy for your fellow students to know which piece you are playing, and so the lesson moderators can update the index of required pieces posted by each student. Good luck with the lessons.
Alhambra 11P

Jay Gutknecht

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:48 am

I might suggest taking a look through the D01 material as it gives you suggestions for which fingers to use for damping.

Brandon Birse

Re: Practice log?

Post by Brandon Birse » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Hi all,
I've realized I'll need an effective means to log my daily practice of my lessons. What do students use to track progress, e.g., online site, software, a Word document? Any ideas would be appreciated! If you have a written log, perhaps you could upload a template as an attachment. Thank you, M
Madeline, here's what I just started using. It's an excel document. If you change the date in week one, all the other dates will be adjusted automatically. Also you will get the totals in of your practice time in the categories below as you add multiple practice time. 30 minutes should be logged as .5, 45 minutes = >.75, etc. etc.. You can change things as you see fit. I've attached the log for you. Hopefully this helps a little, and if you have any questions let me know.

Note: I can't upload this attachment. I contacted a moderator to help resolve this, but in the meantime I'll see if I can message you the attachment.

Brandon Birse

Re: Practice log?

Post by Brandon Birse » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

No luck attaching it in a PM either.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi Brandon, I'm afraid we can't upload Excel spreadsheets on the forum, and can't send attachments with PMs either. One possibility, if you're both happy with it, would be to exchange email addresses by PM, and then send the file as an email attachment.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jay Gutknecht

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Is Cancao Triste by Edson Lopes a good piece to challenge someone in D01? But also something that can be done? I heard it in our recording section of contemporary. I downloaded the music for it.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 am

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions re the practice logs. :D

Rajesh Dhungel
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:35 am

Hello everyone :) would anyboby tell me how to post a recorded video on this forum D01. :merci:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”