Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:10 am

LarryShone wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:49 am
The question is is it okay to play the 6th string G with my 3rd finger and then use the 4th finger for the 2nd string D in the melody? I'm so stuck on 'correct' pima playing that I only play the bass strings with the thumb, the second finger (i) being reserved for the 3rd string, m for second string, a for second/first string.
If we are talking left hand then 3rd for 6th string G and 4th for 2nd string D is good.
For right hand I wouldn’t consider linking fingers to strings to be ‘correct’ technique, it is ok in some pieces but in general, classical music the fingers are far more flexible and often alternate on one string. Even so, it is usual to use the thumb on the bass strings.

LarryShone
Student of the online lessons

Post by LarryShone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:10 am
If we are talking left hand then 3rd for 6th string G and 4th for 2nd string D is good.
For right hand I wouldn’t consider linking fingers to strings to be ‘correct’ technique, it is ok in some pieces but in general, classical music the fingers are far more flexible and often alternate on one string. Even so, it is usual to use the thumb on the bass strings.
The part that I struggle with on Ode to Joy is where I have to fret the 6th string on the 3rd fret to get a low G which is a whole note, so needs to sound for the whole bar, but half way through the first bar after playing the B string open I have to move up that string to play a C then a D, all while keeping my index finger fretting the 6th string. It just seems an impossible reach to me!
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:56 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 am
I have to fret the 6th string on the 3rd fret to get a low G which is a whole note, so needs to sound for the whole bar, but half way through the first bar after playing the B string open I have to move up that string to play a C then a D, all while keeping my index finger fretting the 6th string. It just seems an impossible reach to me!
I assume you are doing 3rd finger on G and playing open B, 1st on C then 4th on D. It will feel like a stretch at first, but practice slowly and I’m sure you will find it becomes easier. If it feels like a strain, don’t do too much at once, rest in between sessions.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:56 pm
I assume you are doing 3rd finger on G and playing open B, 1st on C then 4th on D. It will feel like a stretch at first, but practice slowly and I’m sure you will find it becomes easier. If it feels like a strain, don’t do too much at once, rest in between sessions.
I am now yes, at first I was fretting with my index finger on the 6th string, 3rd fret. Then someone on Facebook suggested I try the 3rd finger instead. Much easier. I'm still finding this simple piece hard. If I just play the melody line, no bass notes, its easy peasy. But when I step it up and play the bass notes its a totally different story. I have to take it really really slowly. So far I'm up to the first 4 bars...but its messy.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 am

I am really struggling with how my fingers, more specifically my nails, are attacking the strings. They get hung up, the tone isn’t consistent, and I’m not able to maintain my I M finger attack because I lose focus. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I’m also seeking out an instructor locally, if I can find someone I can communicate with.

Very frustrated.

Bill
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1978 Masaru Matano
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:51 pm

I think I'm going to have to leave these lessons. I want to concentrate on my piano playing, it is the instrument I feel more comfortable playing. I thought I could do both seeing as I am out of employment but its just becoming too much. I will still play guitar but without the pressure of trying to master it. It was beginning to become a chore, and I was getting really frustrated and annoyed because of it. The guitar fretboard is like an alien landscape to me. I can play tunes on it, and mess about but I will never be a good player. But without the added pressure of trying to master a difficult instrument I could potentially become a better piano player.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:52 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 am
I am really struggling with how my fingers, more specifically my nails, are attacking the strings. They get hung up, the tone isn’t consistent, and I’m not able to maintain my I M finger attack because I lose focus. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I’m also seeking out an instructor locally, if I can find someone I can communicate with.

Very frustrated.

Bill
Can you take a picture, from both sides, of your right hand fingers and nails? They are probably either too long or mis shapen or both. There are many great videos on shaping nails, but search youtube for William Kannengiser's video on the subject. Nail length and shape are a constant trial and error thing for us. Keep trying till you find the right tone and attack.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks for the advice on the video. I’ll have a look and continue to experiment. I have read up on the subject, so I’m have some knowledge. Perhaps incorporating PIMA excercises for the right hand would help as well.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1978 Masaru Matano

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 am

I viewed the video and it is by far the best I’ve seen on the subject thus far. Thank you Rick! I suspect my nails need a bit more growth. I am filing them to create a ramp as I saw in other videos. I have the nail care kit from Strings by Mail, which includes all the really fine grade finishing papers. I’ll keep experimenting. Perhaps when I post my videos for lesson 02, additional advice can be provided regarding my technique.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1978 Masaru Matano

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:51 pm
I think I'm going to have to leave these lessons. I want to concentrate on my piano playing, it is the instrument I feel more comfortable playing. I thought I could do both seeing as I am out of employment but its just becoming too much. I will still play guitar but without the pressure of trying to master it. It was beginning to become a chore, and I was getting really frustrated and annoyed because of it. The guitar fretboard is like an alien landscape to me. I can play tunes on it, and mess about but I will never be a good player. But without the added pressure of trying to master a difficult instrument I could potentially become a better piano player.
sorry to hear that larry, maybe you come back some time.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm
LarryShone wrote:
I don't think I can. I'm 52 in December and I want to get on with the instrument I'm most comfortable with, the piano. I've spent too much of my life messing about, looking for something, when the answer was right in front of me. I want to thank everyone one here for your help and kind words.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:53 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm
Robert Drechsler wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm
LarryShone wrote:
I don't think I can. I'm 52 in December and I want to get on with the instrument I'm most comfortable with, the piano. I've spent too much of my life messing about, looking for something, when the answer was right in front of me. I want to thank everyone one here for your help and kind words.
When you find a site for piano as great as Delcamp let us know!
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:53 pm

I sort of have. I've been a member of PianoWorld since 2010
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:19 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:53 pm

I sort of have. I've been a member of PianoWorld since 2010
Thanks. I'm devoted to my guitar, but that parlor grand beckons.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 pm

I can't possibly do both. I feel like I have too much on my plate, taken on too much.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”