Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Hi all,
Any suggestions for pieces to work on alongside D01 lesson material? While the lesson exercises and short pieces are excellent for building many skills, I find myself wanting to begin learning more full pieces and to begin building a repertoire. I think I am probably a bit beyond basic level and feel ready to try pieces like Romanza or Malagueña. particular like the sound of Sor and am also enjoying the melodic sound of Sagreras. Any other suggestions?
Hi Madeleine,

If you feel you're beyond basic level and ready to try more complex pieces, may I suggest that you transfer to D02? The first simple polyphonic pieces in D01 course appear only in January on the 5th lesson. I see very little sense in spending just a couple of days (if that) with D01 pieces, and then spending the rest of the month with more advanced repertoire. I mean, how do you expect to benefit from D01 lessons at all like that? It's much more beneficial to pick a level that you see keeping you busy for most of the month.

Romanza appears on Delcamp lessons in the 5th year, mainly (I think) because there are some barrés that are hard for the left hand (and therefore not suitable for absolute beginners). It also uses rest stroke for 'a' finger while rest of the fingers play free stroke, a technique that is practiced during D04.

As I understand that you have some steel string experience, it'll be a while before your right hand skills will catch up with your left hand skills, and therefore I'd suggest D02 as a good compromise. D02 already has some pieces that are enjoyable to play and to listen to, there's some malaguena and soleares, as well as some simple Sor, Carulli and Carcassi studies. If D02 seems too easy for you, I would then suggest taking a look at D03 lessons (you'll be able to see the lessons of the previous years' courses in Classical guitar lessons archive forum. D04 is starting to get quite difficult for someone without any prior methodological study in classical guitar (even with some experience from other finger style guitar playing styles), and especially without proper right hand damping skills.

You can switch to any level you want to without making any official announcement to moderators, but when you do, you must start from the first lesson of that level. You can also do two or more levels at the same time, if you feel up to it / have the time.

Even if you decide to stick with D01, nothing will prevent you from downloading the Delcamp collections for the higher levels, and see if you can find something that will keep you challenged.

Hopefully this helps! :bye:
Hi Marko,
Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. I had a look at D02 and while I did not find the first few pieces too difficult, I feel it will take me a while to get them under my fingers (too long to jump in now and be on track for the D02 class). I looked ahead in D01 and see that there are some pieces by Sor and Carcassi that look interesting so I may try them as we go. In the meantime, I am fine with staying in D01. I already see that my technique is improving and I may benefit from taking my time. I will continue working with my Noad and Sagreras materials as well.

Rameen Raha

Post by Rameen Raha » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:34 am

Hey everyone,

Is there someone who could help? I got it that first I should upload my videos to youtube and then put the links in the forum, but when it is uploaded to youtube is it public? can everyone watch it? if it is so then it looks really bad because these are just technical pieces and sometimes the recording isn't much good.

Cheers,

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:58 am

You can set it to unlisted and share them as unlisted. That way only the people who have the provided link can watch it, no one else.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Stefan Srećković wrote:You can set it to unlisted and share them as unlisted. That way only the people who have the provided link can watch it, no one else.
That's the way to do it, if you really want to make sure no one outside this forum can watch your videos. However I wish to point out that the sheer volume of videos in youtube, and perhaps more importantly the sheer volume of beginner / intermediate classical guitarist videos in youtube will provide you with pretty good anonymity, especially if you choose not to advertise your videos outside this forum. Most of the time your videos will be watched by other classical guitar students, who fully well realize how difficult it is to play classical guitar well, and won't think any less of you after seeing you play.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Greetings All,
I'm a little late with lessons and am now trying to play catch-up. When I went to lesson 1, I couldn't recall what the note was:)
I'm wondering, do many of the folks on this forum already know how to read music? Also, one of the kind moderators sent me a link to a site that has a metronome. Then I realized, I don't even know how to set it!
Oh my......:)
Does anyone know at what speed to set the metronome for these first lessons?

Thanks So Much
Marlene

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:04 am

Hi Marlene,

Seeing that you are truly a beginne with any kind of guitar, I would forget about the metronome for now, and just concentrate on getting the right notes out of the guitar. In my opinion the metronome only begins to get useful when you'll have the basic technique down to a degree that you'll be able to follow the beat in your playing. Before that it only serves to distract you.

In general, when working with metronome, start slow and increase the tempo as you see fit.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Thank You Marko,
That works for me:)
Cheers!
Marlene

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Need help/steps on posting lesson videos

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:17 am

I recorded my lessons and uploaded to YouTube. What are the steps I need to follow to post them in the lesson folder? I am having trouble.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:33 am

Hi Madeleine,

You just create a new post in the lesson thread, and where you want your youtube video to appear click on the button named 'YouTube' (the right most one in the long row of buttons above the editing space where you write your message.

It will create a pair of tags like this:

Code: Select all

[YouTube][/YouTube]
Then copy the link to your video from another browser window or tab. It could look like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZOCOw6wiFc
or like this:
https://youtu.be/qZOCOw6wiFc

Paste the link between the youtube tags, and remove everything before 'v=' (including 'v='), or in the latter case everything before the last forward slash (/), so in the case of my video the text should look like this:

Code: Select all

[YouTube]qZOCOw6wiFc[/YouTube]
Finally click on the 'Preview' button next to 'Submit' to verify that you can see your video correctly in your post.

Let me know if you still have problems with it.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:39 am

Thank you Marko! I was good up until the point of editing the You Tube video links. I didn't know I had to do that. :)

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:33 am

Madeleine,

I'm a logger from California too. I have an iPad program I use called MaxJournal. You can use it for anything and keep several journals on different topics if you like. I pulled out an old handwritten log from when I studied guitar 30 years ago and enjoyed reading it today. I was a logger when I was a runner too, and would log the miles and times I ran every day. It was a great motivator for me to see daily goals met or exceeded or a regular basis.

Another interesting thing I've just started, based on Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers. In the book he cites examples of highly proficient people (gurus) in various fields and claims that each has spent at least 10,000 hours at their art to become very good, a guru. More than talent, he claims, putting in the disciplined practice is the key. I found an iPhone app called GuruTimer to track my time at practicing the guitar. It counts down to the 10,000 hours needed for proficiency (9,959 to go!). I like it to track my progress. Of course, perfect practice makes perfect.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:01 am

Hi Rick,
Nice to meet you. I decided to forego keeping a log as it cuts into my playing time. So far the assignments are manageable enough and I can keep track of my progress in my head. :)

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Prioritizing new material - my approach

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:19 am

Hello fellow Delcampers,

I wanted to share how I have been approaching prioritizing each month's new exercises and pieces and am also curious how others are doing it.

So as to not feel so overwhelmed when our new lessons are posted, I decided I would focus only on the pieces that we are to record ourselves playing for critique in that first week. After that, I begin to introduce the rest of the pieces over the remaining three weeks of the month. This method allows me to focus on manageable chunks and I can work longer on those pieces that we will need to perform for the year end exam. So far it's working for me.

How are you approaching learning the material?

Linda Shepherd

Post by Linda Shepherd » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:19 am

Hi Madeleine,
That sounds like a great idea - infact that's what I have started doing this week!
I think this week's stretching exercises are brilliant. Taking note of the right hand fingering is a real challenge on the chromatic scale exercise, I realised how little I actually use my fourth finger (a) !

Bert Stendahl

Re: Prioritizing new material - my approach

Post by Bert Stendahl » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:22 am

http://www.openculture.com/2014/04/10-r ... -cage.html
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Hello fellow Delcampers,

I wanted to share how I have been approaching prioritizing each month's new exercises and pieces and am also curious how others are doing it.

So as to not feel so overwhelmed when our new lessons are posted, I decided I would focus only on the pieces that we are to record ourselves playing for critique in that first week. After that, I begin to introduce the rest of the pieces over the remaining three weeks of the month. This method allows me to focus on manageable chunks and I can work longer on those pieces that we will need to perform for the year end exam. So far it's working for me.

How are you approaching learning the material?
Never Mind the Bollocks

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”