Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
William Byrd
Student of the online lessons

Re: Students' Corner

Post by William Byrd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:38 am

Thank you both for your response. I am now experimenting with both methods. While I do find not resting the thumb different, I am still able to locate the strings with relative precision. However, I do notice my wrist collapsing when not resting the thumb, something I am working to correct.
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1992 Asturias Custom Build

Shalludog

Post by Shalludog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:19 pm

I am a new member to the forum and am interested in enrolling and fully participating (posting videos, etc.) in the lessons. My question is: what is the schedule for beginning a new round of lessons? Should I wait for the fall (I saw that new classes were announced this past September)? Thank you for your guidance!
Ken

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi Ken. Welcome.

The lessons begin in September and go through June. There are 10 lessons in each level, one per month. If you elect to take the final test in June, which is optional, you need to submit video or audio of your work assignments for the monthly lesson for 7 out of the 10 lessons to qualify. But since the final is announced in May, at the same time as lesson 9, you really must complete 7/8 lessons to qualify.

The schedule is completely at your own pace, except for the final. There is a deadline for submittal. Otherwise you can jump in and work at your own pace. If you can manage it you can start now and submit all your work before May so you can qualify for the exam.

But the exam is completely optional too. If you don’t care about the final or the certificate of completion, you can still participate at your own pace.

Having said all that, going through with your fellow students has benefits. If you jump in now they may or may not provide feedback for earlier lessons.

If you are a complete beginner I might not recommend trying to power through the first year lessons to catch up. But if you’re a fast learner or have had some beginner lessons in classical guitar with a good teacher then it might work well for you.

Good luck!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Shalludog

Post by Shalludog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi Rick. Thank you for your prompt response. I have an additional question: I have been playing the guitar for years and am competent at sight reading, but am fairly new to classical guitar studies. I have perused the material for DO1, DO2, and DO3, an feel that the third level might be a good starting point for me. Can I review DO1 and DO2 materials on my own and, in the fall, jump into the DO3 class?
Thank you!
Ken

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Yes that’s exactly what I did. I sight read through as far as I could go fairly easily and when I hit a speed bump I started there. That happened to be D03. It was April and I started from the first lesson and was able to power through and submit the work and take the exam for D03 in June. Then I thought I might be able to do D04 and D05 at the same time. Wrong. It gets harder quick. I’m now in the middle of D07 on the Spanish forum and having fun.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm

One caveat to the above. Classical guitar technique is a lot different that finger picking or strumming. LH Tone production with nails is an acquired skill. RH position is also a key to mastering the repertoire. If this hasn’t been part of your past training I’d pay attention to the early technique exercises and make sure your fundamentals are sound. You might also use a good method book to supplement your seasons here. Fred Noad’s Books are great. There are others.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Shalludog

Post by Shalludog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Thank you for your insights and guidance!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”