D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Halil Akaydin

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Halil Akaydin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Beatriz, I was talking about the embellishments Prof. Delcamp in those measures. They're not notated. In measure 18 he does a cross string trill, which is apparently an advanced technique. I wrote open string trill but I meant cross string. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I'd like to be able to play those embellishments because they sound great but it's a challenge. It would actually be nice to have a lesson completely devoted trills, etc.

If I make any breakthroughs I'll post them. :)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Ah, ok, I am much behind, I am still working on basics on Gaillarde. I wont get near embellishment any time soon. Post something if you get there. The whole piece and how delcamp plays is beautiful!

Bea :)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 am

Hi, here I go with my videos.
On the Mainerio piece I need to work more on dampening and speed up a bit.
On the Carulli and Carcassi piecesI need to work on more precision when pressing the notes with the left hand. Although the pieces are easy it is also easy to have your fingers slip and touch the other string.
The polyphonies is something delcamp has asked to do every year, i don't know if he asks for it on level 4. It makes me remember how important is to dampen, and especially at the beginning of the year.
[media]https://youtu.be/NnnNezF8dew[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/aiXw_uN7p6s[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/EQYXFlnDni4[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Itpy10XqaKM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Xk4hNSCLUMU[/media]

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Bea,

It was really nice listening to you play these pieces. I do have some feedback that I hope you will find helpful.

Polyphony 1 & 2
I am very impressed with your control in these exercises. You’ve made me realise that I need to continued to do a lot more work on my polyphony playing.

Schiarazula Marazula
I liked your performance of this piece very much (and so did you based on the little smile you gave at the end – and so you should smile!!).

I actually liked your tempo and didn’t feel it needed to be any faster. As you have already pointed out, your bass string damping does need a little bit more work. If I may offer one other suggestion/observation, perhaps you might find it easier if you keep your fourth finger down on the D note on the 2nd string in bars 6, 18, 22 the way you did in Bar 2 This is what professor Delcamp does and as well as being easier, it also makes it sound more legato in these measures.

Arpeggi
Once again you played this very nicely. In particular I really liked your tone throughout this piece.

I did notice that you had a little bit of difficulty moving from Bar 6 to Bar 7. What I found helped me get a smoother transition was to keep all my fingers down from the end of bar 6 until I had played the low G note in Bar 7 with my 3rd finger. It’s a bit of a stretch but certainly achievable. I actually practiced going from the 2nd last triplet of Bar 6 to the 2nd triplet of Bar 7 over and over again until I got this comfortable. I started really slowly at first and then gradually built up speed. (Note also that the chord actually changes half way through Bar 7 - I think you may have accidentally repeated the same chord shape as the 1st two beats).

Andantino
Your Andantino was beautiful. I have no suggestions for improving your already polished performance!!!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi Paul, thanks so much for your detailed feedback :!:
I feel bad I didn't remember to listen to your recordings on my computer as I said. So when I saw your postings, I went to listen to your recordings, better late than never. I agree with what others said about how nicely your pieces sound, very good sound and fluid playing. The Delcamp polyphonies were pretty fast. Although the Andantino is not required I recorded as well. How do you play the chord in bar 10? To play it I pulled the G, B and G at the same time, but I like how yours sound.
Paul Janssen wrote:perhaps you might find it easier if you keep your fourth finger down on the D note on the 2nd string in bars 6, 18, 22 the way you did in Bar 2
That's a great observation, I didn't need to lift the finger, thanks a lot.
Paul Janssen wrote:I did notice that you had a little bit of difficulty moving from Bar 6 to Bar 7. What I found helped me get a smoother transition was to keep all my fingers down from the end of bar 6 until I had played the low G note in Bar 7 with my 3rd finger. It’s a bit of a stretch but certainly achievable. I actually practiced going from the 2nd last triplet of Bar 6 to the 2nd triplet of Bar 7 over and over again until I got this comfortable. I started really slowly at first and then gradually built up speed.
Yes, it is a stretch, I didn't realize it was possible, but thanks for the tip to practice it, I will try it.
Paul Janssen wrote: (Note also that the chord actually changes half way through Bar 7 - I think you may have accidentally repeated the same chord shape as the 1st two beats).
Yes, it changes, I did't realize I missed it.

:merci:

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi Bea (and everyone else too),

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement and feedback on my pieces. I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

Regarding your question about the chord in bar 10, I "rolled" this chord. All this means is that I still played it with p, i & m, but instead of plucking all strings at the same time, I played them one at a time but very quickly. You can achieve a similar affect by sweeping the bottom three strings with your thumb the way Professor Delcamp does in the second bar of Gaillarde. However, sweeping the strings like this is harder, and also sometimes you might not want to play all the strings. For example, if you played C chord, you might want only to play the notes on the 2nd, 3rd and 5th strings, which wouldn't be possible to do using this sweeping technique.

I hope this makes sense? I wish I had a video camera so I could demo what I mean. I'm sure if you search rolling chords on this forum there's bound to be some discussion threads.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks Paul, I never practiced plucking one string after another very quickly and I didn't know it would give that effect. What you say delcamp does rolling the finger is something I always wondered if you had to play certain strings only and now you gave me an alternative.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 am

Hey Bea, I hope this isn't too personal a question, but do you by any chance speak French? I know there are some parts in Canada where French is spoken. I'm just wondering if where you live this is the case. Please excuse my ignorance on such things.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:49 am

Yes Paul I do speak French although I do not live in a Francophone region. French is mostly spoken in the province of Quebec. I live in Ontario and the language in my region is English. But I studied French and I am a French teacher.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Bea,
I liked your performances very much, they have good tempo, they are musical and clean. Recordinq quality is also very good.
You play very well apoyando Polyphony (I still have trouble playing simultaneously p-i or p-m apoyando). I agree with what you say about damping. I think this is the only part you should improve, especially in Schiarazula Marazula and Andantino.
:bravo:
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 pm

I start from the end, I made a 1st attempt to record Guillaume Morlaye - Gaillarde, which I did not like at the beginning, but finally I liked very much. Of course there are mistakes and I should make improvements. (Apoyando Polyphony is keeping me from uploading the other recordings :? )
Any comments would be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Halil, did you post a recording? I don't see it.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Here are my submissions for the lesson, thank you for comments.
(I know, polyphonies are bad, but I hate p-i, p-m double apoyando :? )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:01 pm

I think I gotta sit at the computer. I dont see anything on tapatalk.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:02 pm

Bea, it is only audio.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”