D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Kushtrim Avdiu
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Montenegro

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/RyB2ldaOxHo[/media]

Kushtrim Avdiu
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Montenegro

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/Mug4vOv4U6w[/media]
Last edited by Kushtrim Avdiu on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Kushtrim Avdiu wrote:[media]https://youtu.be/mesdh29szms[/media]
Kushtrim,

You may know this and only be in the early stages, but the intent of this exercise is to have the right-hand fingers remain on their assigned strings until they play their note and then again rest on their string, damping that note as the next one is played. It took me a long time to get my fingers to behave themselves and even now I can only do it fairly slowly. Watch Mr. Delcamp's video again and see his thumb come to rest, damping 4, just as he strikes the G with the index finger. The other notes follow suit.

Keep working at it (I am, too!).

User avatar
Zafar Haq
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Missisuga,Toronto,Canada

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi, Kushtrim Avdiu,
Good job, You played it well, all the four studies.Few of my observations are as follows.
1. Can you check your guitar standard tuning. To my ears, it sounded different.Other Students may tell their listening observation.
2.In C Maj Scale study video, you played it well with dynamic effect.We are in early learning period and try to improve our self watching teachers,instructors to know their advice on what they want us to do for proper playing.I do the same. Try to watch left hand fingers position lessons.
3.In UNE SOURIS study video,measure 12,13 need to be repeated.I miss myself few notes in this study.
4.In exercise 20, Paul already commented.Thumb to be back to its rest position on D string after free stroke.
5.In J'AI DU BON TABAC study, You played it well. All notes were played,no missing here.
Keep the practice alive.Watch my videos and advice me how I, improve my tempo and rhythm.

Sasa Durakovic

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Sasa Durakovic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Mikko Helenius wrote:Hi Sasa,

You had learned the tunes well. After viewing your videos just a few comments.
- Especially in the tabac song you release the notes too early and it sounds a bit too staccato like to me. Also try to put your knuckles in parallel with the fingerboard now you were not playing as much with the tip of your fingers as you should but rather the sides of your fingers.
Hello Mikko,
Thank you for your comments it's very usefull for all of us as you see. It's sounding staccato to me to when i listen on my video. I'll try to slow down too it seems i' ve played too fast?
I friend said to me that if i want thicker sound i should play string upp against face probably as i'm diong and it's something begginner doing quite often. He said that I should try to pluck string 45 degrees up against guitar or soundhole. The sound is better with more bas and darker. Only problem as i can see is when you are using free stroke you want to miss next string and sometimes its not so easy. Practice, Practice...

Sasa

Sasa Durakovic

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Sasa Durakovic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Kushtrim Avdiu wrote:[media]https://youtu.be/Mug4vOv4U6w[/media]
Hello Kushtrim

Two minor things

Paul allready said about lesson nr. 20 it can be a little tricky.
I think your tuning is down on your videos. Try to tune your guitar every time you want to play. It's not taking much time and you are training your ears too.
I've heard some string buzz in your/mine videos too and it's good habit to press string right before fret wire. Not in the middle of the fret. You are probably not doing anything wrong as i can see!
I think your left hand is very nice in position and fingers are curved, something i must be much better. Your playing is quite good for me. See you

Sasa

IvanHurtado

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by IvanHurtado » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 am

Hi Folks - Here are my Lesson #2 videos. Sorry for the delay in getting to these, but I have been swamped this month.

The C major scale
[media]https://youtu.be/GBmkydW_xhc[/media]
Exercise No. 20
[media]https://youtu.be/Tu3aAd2XnyM[/media]
Une souris verte
[media]https://youtu.be/csUta5GC8ec[/media]
J'ai du bon tabac
[media]https://youtu.be/qhlzWTokYsw[/media]

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 am

IvanHurtado wrote:Hi Folks - Here are my Lesson #2 videos. Sorry for the delay in getting to these, but I have been swamped this month.

The C major scale
[media]https://youtu.be/GBmkydW_xhc[/media]
Exercise No. 20
[media]https://youtu.be/Tu3aAd2XnyM[/media]
Une souris verte
[media]https://youtu.be/csUta5GC8ec[/media]
J'ai du bon tabac
[media]https://youtu.be/qhlzWTokYsw[/media]
Pretty good for having been swamped, Ivan! Here I am just retired and I can't do exercise 20 as fast as you!

It looks as though you're doing well using the rest strokes, something I'm still struggling with, as I can only use them decently at a too-slow tempo.

Take a look at the scale exercise, though. While I suppose it's a minor point, note that the two Cs are quarter notes.

Rajesh Dhungel
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 5:24 pm
Location: INDIA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:00 am

IvanHurtado wrote:Hi Folks - Here are my Lesson #2 videos. Sorry for the delay in getting to these, but I have been swamped this month.

The C major scale
[media]https://youtu.be/GBmkydW_xhc[/media]
Exercise No. 20
[media]https://youtu.be/Tu3aAd2XnyM[/media]
Une souris verte
[media]https://youtu.be/csUta5GC8ec[/media]
J'ai du bon tabac
[media]https://youtu.be/qhlzWTokYsw[/media]

Hi Ivan your hand co-ordination is very good. But in this exercise you played the C notes as a quater note when you should have played them as half note, twice as long as other notes :bye: .

Rajesh Dhungel
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 5:24 pm
Location: INDIA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:06 am

Hi guys I find cresendo and decresando are very hard to execute. Please suggest!


The C major scale 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bd2fr0yac

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:32 am

Rajesh Dhungel wrote:Hi guys I find cresendo and decresando are very hard to execute. Please suggest!

The C major scale 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bd2fr0yac
Rajesh, I could hear the crescendo and decrescendo, but it was pretty slight. Think of playing like you're breathing in to the top note and then out as you go down. Don't be afraid of overdoing the volume at the top.

PaulAshley

Une Souris Verte - Almost there?

Post by PaulAshley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:43 am

Well, though this is the first time I was able to do this with rest strokes (for the most part), after all the work I discovered that my darned left hand thumb kept sneaking over the side of the neck! Now I'm too tired out to try another take!

Interesting to note that on this forum there are several threads debating the importance of the rest stroke. I was reading them in the hopes of convincing myself that it was okay if I wasn't great at it. But I came away realizing I had to work harder at it because it's one more technique to add to the arsenal. I've always free stroked in my playing and just have to be open to learning something new. Now if only I could get this take with the thumb behaving itself!

[media]https://youtu.be/aEyHeDvZiyc[/media]

Rajesh Dhungel
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 5:24 pm
Location: INDIA

Re: Une Souris Verte - Almost there?

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:52 am

PaulAshley wrote:Well, though this is the first time I was able to do this with rest strokes (for the most part), after all the work I discovered that my darned left hand thumb kept sneaking over the side of the neck! Now I'm too tired out to try another take!

Interesting to note that on this forum there are several threads debating the importance of the rest stroke. I was reading them in the hopes of convincing myself that it was okay if I wasn't great at it. But I came away realizing I had to work harder at it because it's one more technique to add to the arsenal. I've always free stroked in my playing and just have to be open to learning something new. Now if only I could get this take with the thumb behaving itself!

[media]https://youtu.be/aEyHeDvZiyc[/media]
hello Paul
I must say that you have great improvements :bravo:

Mikko Helenius
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 am
Location: Helsinki - Finland

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Mikko Helenius » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:57 am

Sasa Durakovic wrote:
Mikko Helenius wrote:Hi Sasa,

You had learned the tunes well. After viewing your videos just a few comments.
- Especially in the tabac song you release the notes too early and it sounds a bit too staccato like to me. Also try to put your knuckles in parallel with the fingerboard now you were not playing as much with the tip of your fingers as you should but rather the sides of your fingers.
Hello Mikko,
Thank you for your comments it's very usefull for all of us as you see. It's sounding staccato to me to when i listen on my video. I'll try to slow down too it seems i' ve played too fast?
I friend said to me that if i want thicker sound i should play string upp against face probably as i'm diong and it's something begginner doing quite often. He said that I should try to pluck string 45 degrees up against guitar or soundhole. The sound is better with more bas and darker. Only problem as i can see is when you are using free stroke you want to miss next string and sometimes its not so easy. Practice, Practice...

Sasa
Your RH (plucking hand) was good, wrist was straight and by attacking the strings in an angle (and pressing the string down rather than up) produces often more rounded sound. My comment was about your LF where you lose a lot of dexterity, speed and accuracy if you do not play with your finger tips.

Alex Lototskyy

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Alex Lototskyy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm working on the lesson and will be uploading this over the weekend.

The biggest challenge for me is - notation reading - as I've never done that before. I'm writing the letters near each note :) . Sorry for the delay - I'm working on it!

Sincerely,
Alex

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”