D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:17 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we'll revise some techanical exercises from volume D02.
- page 73, numbers 6 and 7.
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers seem too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by playing these exercises in 3rd or 5th position. Then your fingers won't need to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

- page 74 Chromatic scale
Play this scale trying to leave your fingers on the strings as long as possible, as shown in this video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Finally, we'll look at 2 pieces, pages 10, 16 and 17.
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
A Toye consists of three sections of four bars each, the third section being identical to the first. So this piece has an a-b-a structure, also sometimes called a Lied form (or ternary form).

The first section is in the key of A major, and you can see in it the Siciliana rhythm (dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver, or dotted eighth note, sixteenth note, eighth note). The second section is in the key of D major. A major and D major are closely related keys, which means that they have 6 notes in common and just one different note between them. The G is sharp in A major but natural in D major.
The Lied (ternary) form is often used by composers, and you will find five other examples in the same volume:
Juan Bobrowitz : Danse polonaise
Joseph Meissonnier : Andante affettuoso
Mauro Giuliani : Écossaise n°10 opus 33
Fernando Sor : Allegretto n°2 opus 44
Felix Horetzky : Amusement opus 18 no.10

- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES
This piece comes from flamenco music, but the rhythm doesn't follow the traditional pattern of accented beats over a 12 beat phrase (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12). The mode used is the Andalusian mode: E F G# A B C D E. The repeats are necessary, in order to preserve the structure based on groups of four bars.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

A TOYE
SOLEARES

Edna Lopez
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Brian Hunker
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Bill Davis
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Archit Junnarkar
A TOYE
SOLEARES

David Yang
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Linda Shepherd
A TOYE

Rameen Raha
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
A TOYE
SOLEARES
:( + ♫ = :)

Archit Junnarkar

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:44 am

On page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE, I am facing some difficulty playing this portion marked in red(please check the image). I have watched Prof. JFD's video over and over again, but I am still not able to figure out how to play this second repeat on the 5th measure. This is what my interpretation is and how I have played.

1st measure -> 2nd measure -> 3rd measure -> 4th measure -> 1st measure -> 2nd measure -> 3rd measure -> 5th measure.

But, somehow what I am playing (3rd measure -> 5th measure) is different compared with what Prof. JFD is playing in the video. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
img.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Yang
Student of the online lessons

Post by David Yang » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Archit, I think the playing sequence you tell is correct. I guess Mr. Delcamp might use sheet music that has minor difference from ours.
Music begins where language ends.

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Yes, David right. I think we have to stick to our sheet music then.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:20 am

Archit Junnarkar wrote:Yes, David right. I think we have to stick to our sheet music then.
Archit, good catch. You have it right. Mr. DelCamp is just embellishing a little bit by providing some improvised ornamentation in his playing. In the prior year this question was answered as:

1 2 3 4
1 2 3 5
6 7 8 9
6 7 8 10
11 12 13 14
11 12 13 15

Our good moderator Stefan has done it very well and could pose as an example that is very clear and sounds very good. Thanks Stefan! I hope you don't mind. :merci:
[media]https://youtu.be/gYkLGH6uYCo[/media]

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks Bill ! This video will definitely help.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Not at all Bill, moreso I'm honored :) :bye:

Linda Shepherd

Post by Linda Shepherd » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

I'm not this far yet, but I thought I'd have a look and see what is to come. What a glorious piece this is, and so beautifully played. :casque: I shall look forward to working on it - eventually!!! I really appreciated watching your hand movements Stefan. Are there any earlier videos demonstrating position as clearly as this? I'm still struggling with my left wrist - too many years of being too bent I guess! I must experiment more with the neck position I think. Hopefully it will be easier to be consistent once my guitar support arrives and I have set it correctly!

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Plently of. I've actually participated last year's D02 course, though most of videos are unlisted so you can't really find them on my channel. I'll PM you with some of the D02 stuff :bye:

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:45 am

Page 10. ATOYE Question ...Measures 2, 8 and 12.

The base note preceding the E is supposed to be muted with the finger 1 of the left hand?

... I tend to do it with finger "p" of my right...
Edna Lopez

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:27 am

Edna Lopez wrote:Page 10. ATOYE Question ...Measures 2, 8 and 12.

The base note preceding the E is supposed to be muted with the finger 1 of the left hand?

Hi Edna, you are correct. You can do this with your the "P" on your right hand. However, I think you'll find your \1 finger is in a good position to mute the D string as you are using your "p" finger to strike the E chord. It also helps that your \2 finger is positioned on the high e string, which allows your \1 finger to be prepped for the mute. I hope that helps and does't confuse the issue. :bye: :chitarrista:

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:55 am

Bill Davis wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:Page 10. ATOYE Question ...Measures 2, 8 and 12.

Hi Edna, you are correct. You can do this with your the "P" on your right hand. However, I think you'll find your \1 finger is in a good position to mute the D string as you are using your "p" finger to strike the E chord. It also helps that your \2 finger is positioned on the high e string, which allows your \1 finger to be prepped for the mute. I hope that helps and does't confuse the issue. :bye: :chitarrista:
:merci: Bill !
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi There. I'm starting late this term... put the guitar aside for a couple of months and now my fingers are quite stiff. Soleares took a lot of practice. Thanks for watching and commenting.
[media]https://youtu.be/yytJI0jEJBo[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/a7ugmNsTM0Y[/media]
Edna Lopez

Linda Shepherd

Post by Linda Shepherd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:08 pm

Well done Edna! I haven't started work on Solares yet - I find the layout of the score really difficult. I think you have played both these pieces nicely.
As I have been working on my left hand position this week, I was watching yours carefully, and you seem to have the same difficulty I have -that is not keeping your knuckles more parallel with the fret-board. I also noticed that your fourth finger wasn't as curved as your other fingers - possibly beause of the angle of your wrist. Maybe something worth checking infront of a mirror.
Hope you regain your flexibility soon.
Best wishes, Linda

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:59 am

Linda Shepherd wrote:Well done Edna! I haven't started work on Solares yet - I find the layout of the score really difficult. I think you have played both these pieces nicely.
As I have been working on my left hand position this week, I was watching yours carefully, and you seem to have the same difficulty I have -that is not keeping your knuckles more parallel with the fret-board. I also noticed that your fourth finger wasn't as curved as your other fingers - possibly beause of the angle of your wrist. Maybe something worth checking infront of a mirror.
Hope you regain your flexibility soon.
Best wishes, Linda
Thanks Linda for the advice.. the mirror is a good idea, haven't done it so far...my left hand is very weak.. the reason why... I haven't played consistently I guess...the hand needs constant (daily) work out to make it strong and feel confident with the fingering... and the correct position is crucial as well.. will watch with more detail Mr. Delcamp
Edna Lopez

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”