D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:03 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 79 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS - LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

- page 82 number 33 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ARPÈGES - ARPEGGI - ARPEGGIOS - ARPEGIOS

- page 85-86 - Improvisation
Improvisation work - D02
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.
1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.

2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.

3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

5/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of DANSE D'AVILA, D02, page 7, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).

6/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of OH! SUSANNA, D02, page 8, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces with a phrase structure of 8 bars.
- page 38 Mauro GIULIANI (1781-1829) ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
- page 52 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) LEÇON VIII opus 60
- page 53 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) LEÇON IX opus 60

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 38 Mauro GIULIANI (1781-1829) ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
- 4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
- I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds
Musical game

Bill Davis
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game

David Yang
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game

Archit Junnarkar
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game

Brian Hunker
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game
:( + ♫ = :)

Bill Davis

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Bill Davis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:42 am

Hello,

Please find my submission for this lesson. There is still much to work on. At first Mauro GIULIANI (1781-1829) ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33 was really difficult to learn. It wasn't so much the pull off or hammer on but it was the note sequence that gave me a hard time. I find myself spending more time getting my fingers to move in the sequence of the notes because it's not coming as natural as I would like it too. I guess that is the purpose of these lessons, to help us advance. So being uncomfortable is really a good thing. :mrgreen:

I also started a music game for us to complete the requirement in our submission. I tried to make it easy to follow and I will post the sheet music. I don't have a good ear for figuring out what notes others are playing so I hope this helps those that have the same challenge. This will be posted in the music games section also I will add the link here to make it easy to find.
Music game here --> viewtopic.php?f=109&t=94435

Any constructive feedback is welcomed.

As always, Thanks! Bill

ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
[media]https://youtu.be/tSJQ6cQAd9o[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/5VPiN6xJQ3A[/media]
Musical game
[media]https://youtu.be/WOfjmuNjxMs[/media]
D02 L07 - music game 'x' players, 4 notes, 4 days, 1 voice.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:33 pm

Hey Bill. Excellent job with this month's lesson!

Your guitar sounds great on the Ecossaise. You seem to hit every note accurately and with a very lively feel. You created the dance feel of the piece very well.

I've looked at the Musical Games section a few times and I can't seem to figure out what we are supposed to do there. Could you (or anybody else on this thread) possibly explain to me how we are to participate in these games? Or could you post the link if this has already been explained?

Thanks so much. Now I have to go back to practicing the Ecossaise!

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:25 am

Brian Hunker wrote:Hey Bill. Excellent job with this month's lesson!

Your guitar sounds great on the Ecossaise. You seem to hit every note accurately and with a very lively feel. You created the dance feel of the piece very well.

I've looked at the Musical Games section a few times and I can't seem to figure out what we are supposed to do there. Could you (or anybody else on this thread) possibly explain to me how we are to participate in these games? Or could you post the link if this has already been explained?

Thanks so much. Now I have to go back to practicing the Ecossaise!
Hi Brian,
Thank you for the feedback.

I am a bit put off by the musical games at this point. I really like the idea, but I noticed they are not that easy to follow without sheet music to show the progress from player to player. That is why I started a simple one and placed the sheet music so it's not a mystery as to what notes I am playing.

The musical games vary based on our level (D02). We simply create a game with a few simple rules that are acceptable for D02 level students. Then each person who follows builds upon the last persons addition to the game. By time the game is complete we will have a small song based on the rules of the originator of the game.

Here is the link to the instructions from Mr. DelCamp: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=57291

I hope this helps. The game I created only requires the next person to add 4 more notes to the last players addition.

By the way I used http://musescore.org/ for the sheet music creator. Very nice program for free.

Thanks!
Bill

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:21 pm

HI Bill.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. And thanks for the tip about the free notation software.

I was all set to record my submissions today but then I noticed something about Ecossaise. There are a ton of RESTS in the bass notes that I had completely ignored. I checked Prof Delcamp's video and sure enough his thumb is muting all those bass notes wherever there is a rest in the notation! It's a small detail, but it makes a big difference in the sound. Not to mention it's an important step toward training the thumb to confidently mute bass strings. Oh well, I'm going to go back to 1/2 tempo and train this piece again for another week.

David Yang
Student of the online lessons

Post by David Yang » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi guys, I'm late for this lesson due to limited practicing time. Thanks Bill to start a simple music game :wink:

ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
[media]https://youtu.be/ft72NlFaS2o[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/vrmxffeKSjI[/media]

Musical game
[media]https://youtu.be/SP0uOe3aWmw[/media]
*The first note should be E, not G. Sorry for the typo.
Music begins where language ends.

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:52 pm

These are my submissions for this lesson. Well I was supposed to post yesterday but couldn't. And today when I was about to post, I realized David had already posted and so I had to record the musical game again :lol: But, I must say this was good fun.

[media]https://youtu.be/1osVq6J2Ifk[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/jKqDcskcfsA[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/wZlvkyYAFUc[/media]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:25 am

:lol:

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:58 am

David Yang wrote:Hi guys, I'm late for this lesson due to limited practicing time. Thanks Bill to start a simple music game :wink:

ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game
David, excellent work! I really liked your steady tempo and musical ending to Ecossaise. I did notice you slide in bar 2 from a to g#. I believe it should be a slur (pull off). Just as in bar 4 the b to the d is a slur (hammer on). Your improve was very good also. The add on to the musical game was spot on. I am glad this musical game worked out for us. :bravo:
Last edited by Bill Davis on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:28 am

Archit Junnarkar wrote:These are my submissions for this lesson. Well I was supposed to post yesterday but couldn't. And today when I was about to post, I realized David had already posted and so I had to record the musical game again :lol: But, I must say this was good fun.
Archit, very nice work. I noticed the slur in bar 4 from b to d may have been a bit rushed and there was a small hick-up in the middle between bars 10 and 18. This was a hard section to make a smooth transition into and then back out of. So I commend you on an excellent job. Also, your improve was excellent. It's tough to make 20 seconds out of 3 chords :D . I am sorry you got stuck doing the musical game twice. But as you said, "...this was good fun." I really like your addition. I can't wait to see what Brian comes up with next. :bravo: Bill

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:51 am

Bill Davis wrote:I did notice you slide in bar 2 from a to g#. I believe it should be a slur (pull off). Just as in bar 4 the b to the d is a slur (hammer on). Your improve was very good also. The add on to the musical game was spot on. I am glad this musical game worked out for us.
Hi Bill, practicing the slur is fun. But there's much more to improve. I've watched videos from you and Archit. You're completing the lesson very well, so are Brian, I believe.

I have frequent business trips without guitar this spring. Hope I can catch up with the following lessons and the exam.

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:56 am

HI Everyone.

David,

Great job on the Ecossaise. I think your control over your sound has really improved just since last month. Every note sounded very smooth and very musical. Your control over the tempo was also great. Very relaxed. You really performed this piece perfectly.

I like how you added a complimentary chord arpeggio to Bills opening of the musical game. Very good choice!

Archit,

You also did a good job with Ecossaise, though I think the rhythm could have been a bit more even in some spots. I believe it was mostly while doing the slurs that the rhythm suffered a bit. I'm sure it is just a matter of more practice, after all we can't spend forever on this piece. Lesson 8 already went up last week! But you might try practicing pieces like this with a metronome set to 50 bpm (roughly half speed). I had a piano teacher once tell me that playing slow isn't just for beginners, but that the real true artists and professional musicians ONLY ever practice extremely slowly. The greater the artist the SLOWER they practice. I believe this to be very true. It takes great discipline to practice at half speed. And I have found that practicing at half speed produces greater results in a shorter amount of practice time. Not just in terms of rhythmic accuracy, but also the ability to apply dynamic expression, release of tension, etc. Practicing very slow leads to greater control of everything.

I really liked your 20s improv. Brilliant idea to use 2-note harmony. I can't believe I didn't think to try that! It sounded very musical.

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:03 am

Ok. Here are my Lesson 7 submissions.

I hope you are satisfied with my contribution to the Musical Game collaboration. I think it really turned out well and everyone played their compositional role perfectly. :bravo: everyone!

[media]https://youtu.be/9ATy6webC4E[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/_oicHIl1vHw[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/eSp8jadKT2I[/media]

:merci: for your feedback.

Laertes

Post by Laertes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:09 am

Hi Bill, David and Archit. I just wanted to point out that you should keep in mind the duration of the notes in your playing of the Ecossaise. The bass notes are quarter notes, so they should ring only for one beat and you have to stop them for the second beat with your thumb. See Brian's video for he does it very clearly, just listen carefully to the bass notes and also look how he stops them with the thumb.

These bass notes are the most noticeable ones, but I think you are not stopping either other notes, for example the G on the 1st string 4th fret in the last bar of the second line.

Stopping the notes when they should not ring adds a great level of difficutly but it improves the music greatly. On the other hand please note that the mutings are not always indicated by the asterik sign (which is not a normal sign in music scores and only appears in Delcamp's scores, I guess as an aid to us the students) and you have to follow the silences and the duration of each note as they are in the score.

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:08 pm

Bill
Very well played. I thought ÉCOSSAISE was difficult, yet you played it with such ease. No buzzes anymore. I liked your improvisation and thanks for starting up with an easy game. Overall, excellent work !
And yes, you caught me. I was a little under prepared on this lesson. I never looked at the sheet carefully to find the hammer. It was only when I was about to post that I realized that there was a hammer on a few notes. Need to be careful next time.

David
Nice sounds of your guitar. I liked the way you played ÉCOSSAISE slow and perfect. Something that I should have done. I really liked your addition to the musical game. It sounded so melodious. Very nice. Overall, Good confident performance.

Brian
You have made some really good points for me to note. I have heard so many upcoming guitarists especially from Candyratrecords on YouTube who have given the same advice, to practice absolutely slowly. I know it really helps.
You really nailed it this time. ÉCOSSAISE was phenomenal. I couldn't take my eyes off your thumb. The damping was spot on. I liked your improvisation, nothing was repetitive and it sounded melodious. And you gave a very nice end to our musical game, considering that we are the only four left on D02 unless someone else is catching up in the previous lessons. Nice job !

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”