Yamaha Silent Guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
musicbyandy

Yamaha Silent Guitar

Post by musicbyandy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Has anyone tried using the Yamaha Silent Guitar Nylon as a performance instrument? I have the SLG100N and the batteries only last a few hours (much shorter than advertised) and the pickup doesn't produce as much volume as my friend's Godin Multictac.

Also, for me the SLG100N, isn't responsive enough to changes in dynamics and tone color to use with my flute, viola and guitar trio. I like using the SLG100N for solo restaurant performances because the guitar garners much attention and earns more tips than my Takamine guitar.

Any thoughts on using the SLG100N for performances? How does the SLG200N compare to the SLG100N in terms of battery life, volume output and ability to capture changes in tone color and dynamics?

GerryM

Re: Yamaha Silent Guitar

Post by GerryM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:35 pm

I have the SLG200NW. The batteries last a LONG time, in the range of 20 hours+. You can vary the tone color and dynamics a lot and you can use the built in reverb and chorus. You can set the balance between the piezo and SRT (not sure if it is a mike or just a synthesized transform from the piezo output) from full piezo to full SRT. They sound a LOT different. I generally use the knob at a 1-2 o'clock setting. Sounds sort of like a real classical there. A real classical with really, really long sustain that is.

The volume output is very high. Used with my Fishman Mini I have to set the gain controls way down. I would suspect it might make a really good gigging guitar being totally immune to feedback and really cool looking.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 am

GerryM wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:35 pm
I have the SLG200NW. The batteries last a LONG time, in the range of 20 hours+. You can vary the tone color and dynamics a lot and you can use the built in reverb and chorus. You can set the balance between the piezo and SRT (not sure if it is a mike or just a synthesized transform from the piezo output) from full piezo to full SRT. They sound a LOT different. I generally use the knob at a 1-2 o'clock setting. Sounds sort of like a real classical there. A real classical with really, really long sustain that is.

The volume output is very high. Used with my Fishman Mini I have to set the gain controls way down. I would suspect it might make a really good gigging guitar being totally immune to feedback and really cool looking.
Thanks!

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:44 am

GerryM wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks!

josanmendoza

Post by josanmendoza » Thu May 16, 2019 4:21 am

Did you buy it?
I am a hobby musician [who sometimes has been paid] and a Spanish teacher. If you are interested into learning that language please feel free to send me a message and we could do something.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat May 18, 2019 3:05 pm

My tuppence worth : I actually inherited one (if it is the same thing) from my late Friend, who said he loved it because it was a solid piece of mahogany . . .I played it exclusively when living with him, as he was in a flat & no noise was allowed. I found it much easier to play than my own guitar, with very low action & quite a broad neck. But now that I am home again, my daughter uses it to compose her songs, in preference to her own (electric) guitar (with steel strings). She uses earphones or a monitor to hear it.

Personally, it is not what I am looking for in a classical guitar, & I keep it around for sentimental reasons only.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat May 18, 2019 3:40 pm

I have it and it is useful as in night time some times I need to practice however I do not use it much

Return to “The Café”