If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
pmiklitz

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Insrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by pmiklitz » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Not exactly portable, but definitely Organ. There is so much weird and wonderful music out there for that instrument and I just love the feeling those 32" pipes send through your body. :casque:

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

chiral3

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Insrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by chiral3 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:02 pm

I am with others - piano. The repertoire is phenomenal.

Close second is the Badgermin

“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Piano, for sure, for its massive and amazing solo repertoire.

AndrewPenny

Post by AndrewPenny » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Piano for me. It's a instrument that you can make so many different types of music on. Plus you don't necessarily need any other instruments to play with you to make a big polyphonic sound.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:27 pm

something from the violin family. or Maybe hurdy-gurdy. or gamba...... i pretty much all the string instruments
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

souldier

Post by souldier » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:45 pm

Second to the CG, I'd want to learn the cello, third would be the piano. The gap between how much I love the guitar and the cello though is quite large.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

slidika

Post by slidika » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:06 am

I think it would be either mandolin or one of the ukulele types for me . . .
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

casy

Post by casy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:27 pm

I think I'd have to consider something more suited to my physical abilities. A wind instrument would require way too much lung capacity. Take a look at
Rafael Mendez play Flight of the Bumble Bee. Good grief! I can't keep a beat so good bye to drums. An organ has way too much of everything going on at the same time- foot petals,buttons, and keys rows and rows of them. A piano has both base and treble clefs. One is plenty for me. A violin sounds good but what happened to the frets? I don't think I could keep my chin in the right position for too long. A harp would burn up my fingers up in no time. I don't have a good enough voice to sing. Another fretted instrument might work. But if I played it as badly as the guitar I might take a pass. I don't think Id like to make another choice. What I have right now will do just fine.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:24 pm

I was thinking about this from a different angle this week . Let`s eliminate the worst instruments first . Violin and Piano . Violins you have to twist your arm and shoulder and if you have short fingers --tough . The composers always have to put near impossible bits in each piece to spoil the fun . Piano ? My hands are too small for an octave. It`s such a nuisance .Clarinets make your lips numb . Trumpets are too loud .Neighbours would hate drums .Then inspiration struck . How about a little squeezebox like Bing Crosby in the boat . I admit he wasn`t really playing it. He must have had a lazy streak , the tune was not even a fast one. And who would be mad enough to compose a Concerto for a squeezebox? So a squeezebox it is. No flailing arms or hands . You won`t need to be a snob or boast about Perfect Pitch . The only pitch you need is there to stop a boat from leaking . Perfect! And you can play it sitting down or laying down . I`m not sure if one would float if you dropped it overboard . Unlike a harmonica it will not be full of spit and biscuit crumbs .

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:06 pm

amezcua wrote:...Then inspiration struck . How about a little squeezebox like Bing Crosby in the boat . I admit he wasn`t really playing it. He must have had a lazy streak , the tune was not even a fast one. And who would be mad enough to compose a Concerto for a squeezebox? ...
As a matter of fact, there was a composer (who also happened to write a few tunes for the guitar) named Giulio Regondi (1822-1872), who wrote two original concerti for the "squeezebox", otherwise known as a "concertina"! Regondi was a virtuoso concertinist as well, and wrote some 700 works for the instrument. He also transcribed numerous violin concerti for the concertina, and even transcribed two Mozart symphonies for an ensemble of four concertinas. Apparently, his works for concertina were of "daunting complexity" (I have read), and thus you may wish to alter your assessment of the "little squeezebox" and its music in light of this! As for whether Regondi was "mad", I couldn't possibly comment.

Bill B

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Bill B » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:28 am

J.G. Albrechtsberger wrote a concerto for jews harp. Just sayin'.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Michael K7

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Michael K7 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:01 am

Drums.
I like the idea of using both hands and feet, and it would be a good way to get out aggression...

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:32 am

Michael K7 wrote:Drums.
I like the idea of using both hands and feet, and it would be a good way to get out aggression...
Michale K7, you make a great point. Percussion is something that I've grown to love and appreciate more and more as I get older (in addition to the badgermin).
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

casy

Post by casy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:45 am

A concertina. Thanks! That's a great alternative to add to the mix. It has a lot of advantages. I like the full sound. There is little in the way of physical limitations. You could join a concertina club and sound like a full orchestra. No pressure, varying skill levels, just enjoy. The guitar killed the accordion. The concertina is a respectable instrument with the ability to create a lot of interesting music. Drink beer and sing along.

a human

Post by a human » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:33 am

Bill B wrote:J.G. Albrechtsberger wrote a concerto for jews harp. Just sayin'.
I'd like to hear that!

I have one, but call it a mouth harp. Also a kazoo and harmonica.

What about spoons? Not only are they easy to carry, but they serve double duty. : :sorride:
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Return to “The Café”