If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
igycrctl

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by igycrctl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Piano.

LarryShone

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by LarryShone » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:58 pm

howardh wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:14 am
Probably harmonica, for the same reason as guitar. Guitars are everywhere, so it's nice to be able to pick one up when you see one and start playing. Likewise, harmonicas are small, so I can just keep it in my pocket wherever I go.
Diatonic or chromatic? Diatonic, which is the most popular type has 10 holes but only has certain notes to hand, and you have to learn to bend the notes to get the full range, which is hard to learn.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Valencia VC204H classical
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 am

Another guitar .... did someone else say that already?
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Contreras wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 am
Another guitar .... did someone else say that already?
Ha, ha!
Yes. :D

ElectricLute

Post by ElectricLute » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Julian Bream studied piano and cello when at the Royal College of Music . I seem to remember him saying he would have chosen the cello if he wasn't a guitarist .
1984 Paul Fischer
1975 Tamura
2000 Oskar Graf 10 string
Alhambra 9P CW

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Has anyone said church organ?

Oops, I already did, lol!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Caio Carnauba

Post by Caio Carnauba » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:10 am

I would guess the mandolin. I just love the sound

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:15 am

If I could afford one, I'd get a good handpan.

Or a Cathedral Pipe Organ
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:30 am

Piano, or maybe the double bass

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:03 am

Piano. As it is, I am practicing about an hour a day and taking a 30-minute lesson each week.

It’s the best instrument on which to learn about harmony. It’s all right in front of you.

I like the harmonica idea above. It’s nice to have an instrument you can carry in your pocket.
Best,
Chuck

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 am

Well at the moment I am dedicating myself to the alto recorder, and I'm learning part of a very difficult piece by Jacob Van Eyck (1590-1675) called Doen Daphne d'over Schoone Maeght
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Valencia VC204H classical
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

scott martin

Post by scott martin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:50 pm

All guitar players should learn a second instrument. I feel that the piano is usually their best choice.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Whatever works best for a one-man-band setup. Bass (or moderately sized) drum is 1st on the list isn't it? And if we're going for 3rd and beyond, symbols (on the knees) and kazoo would be next! Or harmonica if I wanted to be really sophisticated!

On a more serious note, I quite fancy the flute so I can impersonate Ian Anderson (although I can't stand on one foot for very long!). Or revisit the saxophone which I started to learn when I was a young teenager.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Telespargel

Post by Telespargel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:22 pm

the drums
it was to loud so I changed to the guitar
and now I love it

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 am

mridangam, pakhawaj or tabla. And congas and bongos as well ... did someone say garamut? or kundu? (Garamut aren't very portable, but kundu are - you see people dancing with them.) I've wanted to play garamut ever since I was a small child and wondered what they were and why.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Return to “The Café”