If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Carillon

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Carillon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:41 am

Piano, the repertoire is magnificent and playing counterpoint and jazz harmony is so much easier. I love both instruments for what they are and it's hard to say which I prefer more though guitar is easier for me at this point.

J.W.C.

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by J.W.C. » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:55 am

Toss up between hurdy gurdy and violin.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:58 pm

I already play the piano, but if I had to characterize my playing I would say – to paraphrase Shakespeare - I play wisely but not well.

But lately I have fallen in love with two instruments, and if I had to start again I would pick one of them. First – the Harp. It’s tone is simply, well . . . heavenly. Really. It seems like just about anything you can play on a keyboard can be played on a harp.

The other is the Bayan – the Russian button accordion, that in the right hands can sound almost like an organ. Every instrument has its difficulties, but this one looks fiendishly difficult. Apparently you can play just about anything on the Bayan and do full justice to the music. Listen to this wonderful rendition of Vivaldi by a superb musician.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

acousticart

Post by acousticart » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Keyboard for sure... just for the Beethoven Sonatas if nothing else. I was already a late starter on classical guitar when I discovered the Beethoven sonatas. Not to mention Chopin... and then there are all the possibilities of controlling synths with no perceivable latency. I have used pretty much every possible guitar to midi conversion system that can be used with a nylon string guitar. Photon optical pickups, RMC Piezo transducers, used with Axon AX100 (fastest tracking but very fussy set up), Roland GI20, Roland GR33, Roland GR55, Kieth McMillan StringPort (abandoned early by the developer despite a promising beginning), and others. Ah well... I love the sound of my classical guitar and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Talking about this makes me want to take up the keyboard again, but not with the idea of tackling the Beethoven sonatas! But I spent many hours in the practice rooms for the required piano classes when I would rather have been practicing my guitar...
Don
2005 Spruce & CSA Rosewood by Fritz Ober, Yamaha SG100N with RMC pickups and polyphonic preamp with Roland ready 13 pin output

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:12 pm

I love the sound of bassoon (maybe because and my first love played it) and I also love baritone saxophone. Bass clarinet is a really cool thing to me as well...hmmm...what would I chose? Or maybe I start to saw my violin again, after 30 years?
I think the sax will make it!

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:33 pm

Bass clarinet is a very cool instrument (I play a soprano, badly) but I hear they take a LOT of air!
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Valencia VC204H classical
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Cello, for sure

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 pm

The guitar is my "next" instrument. :D

I play violin (take weekly lessons to up my game) and bassoon (occasional lessons and I play in our community orchestra). I also play mandolin - but I'm rusty there. I did get a new mandolin a few weeks ago - which then precipitated the new guitar purchase :oops: . It's so much more rewarding to play a high quality instrument :) . I also have played viola - but we have a surprisingly large number of local violists, so I shelved it for the time being.

There isn't enough hours in the day to give every instrument equal time, but I seem to have a "need" to play two.

It's not as chaotic as it looks. Violin = viola = mandolin are all variations on a theme. And because I can play the mandolin = the guitar isn't a totally foreign concept.

My guitar goals aren't too lofty either. I'd like to play very simple classical songs for my own entertainment and eventually chord well enough to accompany my beginner fiddle friends.

But yes - a large part of my free time is spent on music!
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 pm
The guitar is my "next" instrument. :D

I play violin (take weekly lessons to up my game) and bassoon (occasional lessons and I play in our community orchestra). I also play mandolin - but I'm rusty there. I did get a new mandolin a few weeks ago - which then precipitated the new guitar purchase :oops: . It's so much more rewarding to play a high quality instrument :) . I also have played viola - but we have a surprisingly large number of local violists, so I shelved it for the time being.

There isn't enough hours in the day to give every instrument equal time, but I seem to have a "need" to play two.

It's not as chaotic as it looks. Violin = viola = mandolin are all variations on a theme. And because I can play the mandolin = the guitar isn't a totally foreign concept.

The neat thing is that violin and mandolin share the same tuning!
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Definitely the piano, then the recorder and fife.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm currently playing clarinet
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm

The neat thing is that violin and mandolin share the same tuning!
Yes! That's part of what makes it doable. :D Common ground between instruments.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

J.W.C.

Post by J.W.C. » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 am

Shakelford wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 pm
Earlier in the thread, I posted hurdy gurdy or violin, but since then I ended up getting a tin whistle and have been having a blast with it. Now I have two tin whistles (both high D), a low whistle (low D), and a soprano recorder (C, baroque). First time I've played a woodwind instrument. I play guitar, piano, and mandolin...and now whistle, I guess! I haven't spent much time with the recorder, yet, but I like that it is more chromatic than the whistles.

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm

J.W.C. wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 am
Shakelford wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 pm
Earlier in the thread, I posted hurdy gurdy or violin, but since then I ended up getting a tin whistle and have been having a blast with it. Now I have two tin whistles (both high D), a low whistle (low D), and a soprano recorder (C, baroque). First time I've played a woodwind instrument. I play guitar, piano, and mandolin...and now whistle, I guess! I haven't spent much time with the recorder, yet, but I like that it is more chromatic than the whistles.
I love the sound of the old Revolutionary and Civil War three-man marching band, drums and fife or tin whistle! I would love to try the tin whistle! I have always wanted to play an instrument you can put in your back pocket!!

Mateus Rodrigues

Post by Mateus Rodrigues » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm

One of my biggest problems is that I can't dedicate myself to a single instrument and I end up being mediocre in several :P Guitar is by far my best instrument, but I also play a bit of the recorder(specially the alto recorder, really love it), but without a doubt I'd like to play the piano well.

Return to “The Café”