Don't you hate it when . . .

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

Re: Don't you hate it when . . .

Post by soltirefa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 am

Don't you hate it when the thumbnail is larger than the picture it represents?

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I’ll never fathom people who don’t know the difference between “your” and “you’re.” Ditto for “to” and “too.” How can someone reach adulthood as a native English speaker without knowing how to correctly spell these common and simple words?

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm
I’ll never fathom people who don’t know the difference between “your” and “you’re.” Ditto for “to” and “too.” How can someone reach adulthood as a native English speaker without knowing how to correctly spell these common and simple words?
haha Yes, I agree! But then again, when I was in elementary school, we used to have these 'spelling' books that were graded, in which there was a set of words to learn - definition and spelling, as well as how to use them in sentences - where we were regularly tested on. It moved progressively forward with newer sets of words until the book was finished and then on to the next book we went. I don't think that's done anymore. I confess that I have NO idea what goes on in elementary grades at school anymore - they're probably more concerned with learning their way around a tablet, or some such device?

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:39 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 am
Don't you hate it when the thumbnail is larger than the picture it represents?
:lol:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:56 pm

segobreawill wrote:...when I was in elementary school, we used to have these 'spelling' books that were graded, in which there was a set of words to learn - definition and spelling, as well as how to use them in sentences - where we were regularly tested on.
When I was in elementary school, my teacher sent us home with a vocabulary assignment. She gave us a word list, and we had to write two sentences with each word on the list. I decided to have fun with the assignment. For the first sentence, I wrote something that used the word correctly—for the second sentence, I let my imagination run amok. That resulted in stuff like this:
  • My great grandfather is an octogenarian.
  • While swimming, I was attacked by a wild octogenarian.
I assumed, of course, that my teacher would see what I was doing and indulge me rather than marking every second sentence wrong. My favorite pair of sentences was this:
  • The ship altered course.
  • We had our cat altered.
Although come to think of it, that second sentence wasn’t wrong.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:56 pm
When I was in elementary school, my teacher sent us home with a vocabulary assignment. She gave us a word list, and we had to write two sentences with each word on the list. I decided to have fun with the assignment. For the first sentence, I wrote something that used the word correctly—for the second sentence, I let my imagination run amok.
haha Fun stuff and times! I still recall a few of those whacky sentences from my early school days myself. Odd how things stay with you throughout the years!

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Tom Poore wrote:I’ll never fathom people who don’t know the difference between “your” and “you’re.” Ditto for “to” and “too.” How can someone reach adulthood as a native English speaker without knowing how to correctly spell these common and simple words?
Timeworn classics Tom, along with where/were, their/there/they're and its/it's.

A more recent annoyance is would have versus would of.

The most mysterious aspect of this conundrum though - why does it mainly afflict restaurateurs, pub landlords and greengrocers?

Far more teeth-grindingly irritating ... reporters. Their stock in trade is words and communication. Surely it's not unreasonable to expect them to have graduated with some degree of literacy yet they don't know the difference between a circumference and a perimeter, or how to pronounce the letter aitch.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 am

I agree with Tom above.

Another one which really gets me is the ignorance of the word ''tenets'' (as in principles of). Very frequently I hear people in the media and elsewhere saying "the fundamental tenants of..."

Sometimes I rewind videos (I know...) just to make sure I'm not being unnecessarily harsh, but yep, nine out of ten they have said ''tenants'' instead of tenets. This indicates to me that they have never read a thing in their lives and have learnt the language purely by aural transmission.

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:58 pm

I frequently hear 'jew-le-ry' instead of 'jewelry' and 'ree-la-ty' instead of 'realty'.
Ken

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:25 pm

...mostly I don't care...but I do seem to have an issue when people say "height-th" ... :nerveux:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:54 pm

khayes wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:58 pm
I frequently hear 'jew-le-ry' instead of 'jewelry' and 'ree-la-ty' instead of 'realty'.
Or new-cue-lar instead of new-clee-are (Nuclear).

And a variant of what you said, ree-la-tor instead of ree-al-tor (Realtor).

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:05 am

Don't you hate it when you're put on hold and the music they have playing is all garbled (and they leave you on hold for several minutes)? Painful.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:43 am

Don't you just hate it when you smash a finger and can't play your guitar (or violin, or bassoon...) for an indeterminate amount
of time... :nerveux:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:32 pm

Don't you hate it when a website has a section that when you click on it says, "Coming soon!" But then it never comes.

Maybe more appropriate would be, "Might be coming, if I ever get around to it."

erichert

Post by erichert » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:38 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:32 pm
Don't you hate it when a website has a section that when you click on it says, "Coming soon!" But then it never comes.

Maybe more appropriate would be, "Might be coming, if I ever get around to it."
I'm a web developer and I can't count the number of times I've had to advise clients not to do this.

Unfortunately they don't always listen.

Return to “The Café”