Don't you hate it when . . .

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

Re: Don't you hate it when . . .

Post by soltirefa » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Don't you hate it when the audience claps and hoots at the late night host's not-funny-at-all jokes?

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Don't you hate it when you buy a box of 'adhesive bandages' and they insist on putting in the totally useless 'junior' sized ones? What are those for? I never used one. I have 3 kids...never used one on them either.

If anyone is interested, I have ~3 million assorted 'junior' sized strips - will trade for 5 standard sized strips...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:22 pm

ameriken wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:43 am
When someone is driving 20 mph faster than everyone else on the highway, dodging dangerously from lane to lane in between cars to get ahead in a big rush, and when you pull off at your exit, he's right there in front of you waiting at the light.
I think I missed this one. That is soooo true. Happens all the time. People weave and pass people to get ahead and end up no farther along than the rest of us.

There's also the people who accelerate to a red light ahead. I guess they want to be the first one to the red light.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Traffic lights, the great equalizer..

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Don't you hate it when ... you are flirting with a beautiful woman and you discover a booger hanging out of your nose. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 am

Don't you hate it when you sit in a dark concert hall and enjoy the music, and then a person in front of you switches on his smartphone, holds it in the air with its illuminated display and tries to record the music.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Don't you hate it when, despite all the "conveniences" of modern technology, it ends up taking you 10x longer to do something that used to be quick?

Four years ago I called England and ordered a baby gift to be delivered for a friend. Took 20 minutes total, if that.

Monday I tried ordering on-line. Friend had her 2nd baby. The order was in stasis/pending (no reason given) until yesterday. Today it dissappeared entirely. Been trying to phone, 3 different numbers, they all say "out of service". Can't get a hold of a real-life operator or person to save my life.

Despite the "out of service" recording I've been getting, the number appears to be current. The company appears to be solvent.

I think, between ordering, checking - trying to problem solve on my own, calling, trying to get help I'm in it for 3 active hours so far...>:(
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:33 pm

andreas wrote:Don't you hate it when you sit in a dark concert hall and enjoy the music, and then a person in front of you switches on his smartphone, holds it in the air with its illuminated display and tries to record the music.
So very annoying. It's a gamble as it does cause a minor localised disturbance, but in a large hall I have been known to quietly reach over and pull their arm down - the tiniest of unexpected movements is sufficient to tumble said telephone to the floor.

They never try a second time, and if any of you remember such an occasion - yes that was probably me and I'm not going to stop.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:33 pm
andreas wrote:Don't you hate it when you sit in a dark concert hall and enjoy the music, and then a person in front of you switches on his smartphone, holds it in the air with its illuminated display and tries to record the music.
So very annoying. It's a gamble as it does cause a minor localised disturbance, but in a large hall I have been known to quietly reach over and pull their arm down - the tiniest of unexpected movements is sufficient to tumble said telephone to the floor.

They never try a second time, and if any of you remember such an occasion - yes that was probably me and I'm not going to stop.
How well and convincingly do I concur! :)

Were I dictator of the earth, I would ban all smart phones and require all concertgoers to take a heavy dose of Valium and down a full bottle of cough syrup before entering a hall. Yes, I know it's medieval, but surely effective. :D

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:04 pm

When I try to buy the Guastavino Sonatas (the Andante from number one is the exact reason I bought my first guitar ) and it`s as if Guastavino suddenly never existed. I wish those Music Sellers would suddenly never exist . They promise everything and then let me down .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Hooray ! Celebration time. I have found the Guastavino Sonatas at Presto Music . A UK firm in Leamington Spa. What a hard search for that . The one piece of music that made me buy a guitar. Satisfaction .

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:12 am

I hate it when people refer to a piece of music as a "song" when it clearly is not one . . .

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:05 am

kirolak wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:12 am
I hate it when people refer to a piece of music as a "song" when it clearly is not one . . .
When I first started playing cg I referred pieces as songs. Interestingly enough, I wrote an article about composing cg pieces and submitted it to a cg magazine and used the word "songs" as pieces. Do you wonder whey they didn't publish it?

Back in the beginning, it seems more logical to call a piece a "song." Think about it, why would you call a cg composition a "piece?" What does that have to do with a cg composition? I would think score would be more of an explanation...and I know score is also used. But I never really think of cg compositions as a piece. Maybe we could put our collective heads together and come up with a better term to describe classical guitar music than just saying it's a piece. It always reminds me of a piece of pie...piece of apple pie.

Guitralchemist,
David
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 135

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:04 am

David Gutowski wrote:Maybe we could put our collective heads together and come up with a better term to describe classical guitar music than just saying it's a piece.
We already have many terms. Primarily we refer to a composer's creation as a "work" just as with other art forms. A painter's work might further be categorised by medium (water-colour, oil, pastel, aquatint), subject (portrait, landscape, still-life) and further by style, period, content and so on.

Similarly musical works may be described in a myriad of ways by form (sonata, minuet, bagatelle, song etc.) as well as denomination by instrumentation, period, style and even key. What reason is there to add anything?

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:52 pm

I understand. . .but as an ex-singer, to me a song has words. . .

Return to “The Café”