Flamenco versus Classical guitar sitting position

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
guitarrista

Re: Flamenco versus Classical guitar sitting position

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 pm

bellemeade wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 pm
guitarrista wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:56 pm
bellemeade wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 am
One of the reasons for the flamenco sitting position is that it offers much better control over the rasgueo.
How so?
Three things:
The neck angle is lower so the strings are more perpendicular to the hand

Interesting. In my experience the right (and left) arm and hand adjust to a wide variety of configurations because there are enough degrees of freedom - but if you keep the RH setup static while lowering the neck, if anything that would make the strings less perpendicular to the hand. Maybe I misunderstand what you are referring to.

bellemeade wrote:
The soundboard is less inclined and more vertical to the floor

You mean in the away-toward-body sense as in you can see less of the fretboard than with classical posture? That's true, though I never tilted the top of the guitar toward me anyway, for classical.

bellemeade wrote:
The upper side offers more support to the arm

Actually in my experience and observations in flamenco the upper bout is used much less for support than in classical. It is more of a touch rather than rest/anchor or press and the forearm can slide (so the place of touch changes), especially with multi-string picado (scales).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:32 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 pm
Obviously the light weight of the traditional flamenco guitar and the use of wooden tuning pegs helps somewhat. It's just so much more difficult to achieve this balancing act with a heavier classical guitar with their heavy metal tuners.
It's advantage. Well it's good for the old back and it also seems to keep the left hand in a good position - no great deviation in the left wrist, very natural. The disadvantage is that it tends to lock the right arm in one fixed position, much harder to obtain tonal variations.
Agree. I recently switch from a classical position (using a Dynarette cushion) to the traditional flamenco position. It has thrown off my playing, but I am slowly recovering. The classicial position was causing problems with my left neck and right shoulder blade. I could never figure out how to improve this, and after about 6 years of playing my neck was getting worse and worse, thus the switch to flamenco. Since the switch my neck and tension in my shoulders seems to be improving.

The traditional flamenco position seems to be harder on my lower back as I am somehow introducing a hunch to that area. The right hand also requires a bit of a bend, which I think is causing some wrist/tendon tension. It is also harder to see what your left hand is doing on the frets, as the guitar body is held in a more vertical position.

Holding the guitar stable in the traditional position is challenging...sometimes the neck wants to move around more than I like...and you have less ability to move the right hand up and down the strings.

Someday I'll try playing with a strap...that seems like a good solution to many problems.

SavageTofu

Post by SavageTofu » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm

The reason for the difference in position from classical to flamenco is... to be able to watch the dancers. Seriously, Most flamenco guitarists, needed the visual ques to help the dancers keep rhythm. In many cases, more than one dancer. The guitar was not the focus, It was the dancers. So that’s why the guitar was positioned that way.

Classical guitar focuses on the guitar. There are other options then using a footstool. Some folks get offended if you don’t use one. So, that’s why Classical guitar is selfish....

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 pm

The flamenco position allows the left foot free to tap out the compas which is important in flamenco. The Efel or Gitano support helps to keep the guitar in the position. Paco Pena has been a support for quite some time.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:16 am

When I abanonded the footstool and switched to resting the gtr in my right thigh I very nearly wrecked my left hand and had to stop playing for a couple of months. I sorted it out in the end but anyone making the change should beware of awkward stretches and unnatural muscle movements. It helps to play like Paco above with the ankle of the right leg on the left thigh but I can only maintain this position for a few minutes. With the gtr flat on the right thigh the left hand can suffer a lot so watch out. I've come to prefer it for being less formal but then I'm not very serious about playing these days. If I were serious I'd go straight back to the footstool

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:10 pm

Play classical guitar with a support on the left leg and for flamenco a support on the right leg. I primarily play flamenco but do play classical and find switching legs works.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

15070p3

Post by 15070p3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:47 am

I prefer the traditional flamenco position to the classical position because it is easier on my lower back (no twist of the spine). The main disadvantage of the flamenco position (for me personally) is that I cannot see my fingers on the fretboard easily. When I am learning a difficult piece of music slowly, I occasionally want to look at my left hand fingers. Once I have developed sufficient proficiency, I don't look at my left fingers at all. And by closing my eyes, I have a better musical sense of what I play.
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - - Shakespeare

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:27 pm

What if one is a "left-handed" guitarist? Which guitarist was it that designed a "stand" (sort of like a music stand) upon which he placed his guitar? I want to say Aguado or Pujol but, I may be way off.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 pm

VasquezBob wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:27 pm
What if one is a "left-handed" guitarist? Which guitarist was it that designed a "stand" (sort of like a music stand) upon which he placed his guitar? I want to say Aguado or Pujol but, I may be way off.
I think Aguardo designed a "stand" (sort of like a music stand) upon which Aguado placed a guitar.

Chris Delisa

Post by Chris Delisa » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:43 am

musicbyandy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 pm
VasquezBob wrote:
I think Aguardo designed a "stand" (sort of like a music stand) upon which Aguado placed a guitar.
Indeed he did! The Tripodium. And he wasn't the only one to design an arguably overly-elaborate device to support the guitar. There was also Luis De Soria who had a guitar that was built with a stand/extended soundboard. For some reason, it didn't take off...

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Chris Delisa wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:43 am
musicbyandy wrote:
VasquezBob wrote:
Indeed he did! The Tripodium. And he wasn't the only one to design an arguably overly-elaborate device to support the guitar. There was also Luis De Soria who had a guitar that was built with a stand/extended soundboard. For some reason, it didn't take off...
"Tripodium"!!! I knew that someone would remember. Thanks.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:24 pm

VasquezBob wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:57 pm
Chris Delisa wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:43 am
musicbyandy wrote:

"Tripodium"!!! I knew that someone would remember. Thanks.
I think tripodium is an awesome name for tripod.

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:56 pm

Back in the day, they had to sound sophisticated, I guess. ;-)

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:22 am

I usually stand and play with a strap as sitting with a footstool has been unkind to my arse, legs and lower back. The strap felt unstable at first but I got used to it after a few months and can play anything sitting just as well as sitting. I can also practice a lot longer before fatigue sets in. Standing is more relaxing than sitting and being able to move around more—walk or sway—releases muscle tension much more efficiently than sitting.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 pm

I Use a guitar support with the guitar on my right leg

Return to “The Café”