Flamenco versus Classical guitar sitting position

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
amezcua

Re: Flamenco versus Classical guitar sitting position

Post by amezcua » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 pm

John Williams made a video where he compares the solid reasons for both ways of holding guitars. Not in a disaproving way either .

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:42 am

Hey, let's not forget Sabicas who did both, at the same time, while playing every guitar string at the same time!

"I can sense the atonal...I always try very hard to bring it out."
- Julian Bream

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:47 am

amezcua wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 pm
John Williams made a video where he compares the solid reasons for both ways of holding guitars. Not in a disaproving way either .
Would you have the link to that btw? :)

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:31 pm

Without a doubt it is a very interesting topic, thanks for sharing "lennarton"!

Truly in the engraving / drawing that shows us "guitarist" was the first flamenco position ..
My first lessons I received from a teacher who played flamenco with that position. I also had some gut string, it happened in 1957. Also the position that shows us "guitarist" of Paco de Lucía was at the beginning, later the position was more classical and even came to interpret the concert of Aranjuez using the stool for the left foot.
Regarding Sabicas, as he explains "Mensaje", in the video that he shows us so kindly, he sees how his position is with the stool on his left leg and it is a very classic position. (... since at the beginning Sabicas' position was the authentic one of flamenco)
It seems that the classic posture is more comfortable.
And in my humble opinion, I have always said that classical music combined with flamenco is something more than exquisite.
I am delighted to participate in this topic that I have lived so closely in my youth.

Regards :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:44 pm

segobreawill I had a look but could not pin it down. On some videos he compares holds with other players eg Paco Pena. They touch on that subject. But I think John Williams is talking just to the camera and demonstrates the good and bad points for each style in the video I once saw. He mentions angle of nails to the strings and left hand positions . It`s out there somewhere .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Eliseo .I am not a composer or even a good player but we have one thing in common. We are both 76 .

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:56 am

amezcua wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:44 pm
segobreawill I had a look but could not pin it down. On some videos he compares holds with other players eg Paco Pena. They touch on that subject. But I think John Williams is talking just to the camera and demonstrates the good and bad points for each style in the video I once saw. He mentions angle of nails to the strings and left hand positions . It`s out there somewhere .
Okay thanks :) I'll see if I can come across it on YT.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:47 am

Hello Message,
What a joy to know that we are the same age! :D
I started my classical guitar studies with Graciano Tarragó in the year 1960, sometimes I received lessons from his daughter Renata.
I interrupted my guitar studies when I obtained the title of Commercial Skilful and continued those Mercantile studies in Germany, but I did not finish them due to military service (they sent me to Africa with the Legionaries). Other unfinished studies. Then my brother got me a good position in Lloret de Mar, 1967, and here I am for 52 years. But I studied and finished Tourism, and obtained the title of Tourist Business Technician (... I started the studies married, with one child and I finished them with two children already.) Then I finished my guitar studies at 53 years old working in two places at the same time, with three children and at 53 years old. Really everything has been a great sacrifice but, I am in this forum to learn things from people like you. I assure you that every day I learn new things, because I will always be a simple guitar student. All that I explain is with sincerity. And since I am speaking to you of sincerity I will explain an anecdote to you. In Africa, Sidi-Ifni, when the soldier finished three months of exercises, left the camp and was assigned to the barracks.
In the barracks they had beds, dining rooms with a table and chairs. I spent all the Military Service in the camp, latrines ... etc . :mrgreen:
My only happiness is that I was able to give a guitar concert to General Trobo Larrasquito. Possibly that concert helped me to endure all the miseries, without forgetting the latrines!
As you can see, not everything has been a path of roses.
By the way, since we are the same age, we also did the Military Service the same year, I hope that your destiny was better than mine.

Receive a warm greeting from Lloret de Mar, Costa Brava. :bye: :discussion:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:54 am

- Maestro Eliseo, I believe that there is a typo in your message above, it is written to our member @amezcua, not Message :)

Thank you for another interesting story !

As always

Jacinto
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:16 pm

You are right, Professor Jacek! :D
Thanks for your notice!

I send you great regards :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm sorry Amezcua,
I have directed my writing to another person. I thank Professor Jaceck A. Rochacki for notifying me of such an error.
I beg you, continue illustrating me with your news.

Regards :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Thankyou Eliseo . My word , how many Legionnaires have joined our ranks I wonder . In my first ever guitar lesson in Leicester Square I went in the wrong room . The group awaited the teacher in silence. When the class began I realised they were very advanced and excused myself . Years after, I realised the teacher that day was John Williams Father . I had already been playing 2nd Violin in a Kensington Orchestra and one concert we gave was with John Williams himself in the Rodrigo Concerto .Happy days .

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am

Amezcua, I thank you for your interesting answer.
I believe that La Legión is the most disciplined Spanish Army group, without despising anyone in Spain.
You really explain to me a story full of interesting anecdotes.
It had to be a privilege to play Rodrigo Concert with John Williams(.. do you mean the Aranjuez Concert?)
I can appreciate that you as a second violin were playing a very important roll in the orchestra.
When we reach certain ages, there are always stories full of anecdotes to explain. Without a doubt "life is a great teacher"!

Regards from Costa Brava

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Return to “The Café”