Casual

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
lamecrow

Casual

Post by lamecrow » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:05 pm

I am curious. Are there those who might be called non-serious students who would like to learn to play a guitar for their own enjoyment just because they like the instrument and its sound? The people whom I am speaking of are not interested in performing. These people are only casually interested in improving technique but might pick up good technique gradually over time. Improvement need not be fast. Only simple compositions of current or more famous classical music would be of interest.

Christopher Langley

Re: Casual

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 pm

I certainly consider myself to be one of them :)

I have no goals of performing. If I get good enough, that would be cool.

But, I doubt it will ever happen because life.

I think the majority of classical players would consider themselves casual players. Even the ones who have performed a few times or maybe have a couple recordings.

I think I would only cease to consider myself casual if I made my living by playing and selling recordings and sheet music.
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is mud.

Martin Davis

Post by Martin Davis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm most definitely a casual player. I've played bass for years in a busy gigging band which had to give due to work/family commitments, so took up classical guitar and am having weekly lessons and loving it!

No ambition to perform to a live audience, but who knows what the future holds!
2010 Yamaha GC-31C Made in Japan

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:47 am

I'm not interested in performing, I have always enjoyed playing acoustic guitar and I am learning CG for the enjoyment of it.

Besides if I wasn't learning CG I would be wasting my time playing video games lol

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:34 am

Randy Johnson wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:47 am

Besides if I wasn't learning CG I would be wasting my time playing video games lol
Freaking, exactly.. or watching netflix/youtube/tv.. whatever your given time waster is..

Personally, I stopped video games for guitar.. I refuse to play them, because they will rob me of my guitar playing time and I already know it.

Went from a video game addict to a guitar addict. haha

Still watch netflix.. and youtube gets me sometimes.

I did put down facebook though.. :lol:
My name is mud.

doug

Post by doug » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 am

I play as a hobby. I started taking rhythm guitar lessons at a local music shop, at age 59. I've always enjoyed guitar music, so I decided that I'd try to learn to play a little. I was in the music store one day browsing through the guitars, and noticed one with a wider neck and nylon strings. I asked about it, and was told that it was a nylon string classical. I liked it because there was a little more room between the strings. I asked my teacher about it, and he said, "....you don't want one of those damned things! Willie Nelson is the only one I know who plays one." I came home and googled, "nylon string classical guitar," and was absolutely blown away with what I saw! That was nine years ago, and I play every day. I have no intention of ever performing. I play simply because I love it.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:34 am
Randy Johnson wrote:

Just think how good we could play if we had of been practicing CG instead of playing videos games for "hours" a day.

I still watch Netflix\tv with the wife but most of the time I have my guitar in my hands or I'm studying the fretboard.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 am

Randy Johnson wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:22 pm
Randy Johnson wrote:

Just think how good we could play if we had of been practicing CG instead of playing videos games for "hours" a day.

I still watch Netflix\tv with the wife but most of the time I have my guitar in my hands or I'm studying the fretboard.
Dude, the thought often crosses my mind. I was a world of warcraft addict during my best years to be learning.

I logged in about a years worth of time over a three year period. That means I was averaging 8 hours a day.. I did nothing but play wow, go to school and sometimes sleep.

Rather sickening to think about now.

The bad thing is.. If I had money or some way to pay for the game updates and monthly fee.. I would still probably spend a third of my time playing.

Video game addiction especially to that game is very real. Was/is for me anyways. I have a problem with addiction in general, just my personality
My name is mud.

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 am

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 am
Randy Johnson wrote:

Dude, the thought often crosses my mind. I was a world of warcraft addict during my best years to be learning.

I logged in about a years worth of time over a three year period. That means I was averaging 8 hours a day.. I did nothing but play wow, go to school and sometimes sleep.

The bad thing is.. If I had money or some way to pay for the game updates and monthly fee.. I would still probably spend a third of my time playing.

Video game addiction especially to that game is very real. Was/is for me anyways. I have a problem with addiction in general, just my personality
Farm 5 days a week so you could raid the other 2 days. been there.

I have wasted more the 20 years on video games. It is sickening to think about it.

Martin Davis

Post by Martin Davis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:19 am

Randy Johnson wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 am
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 am
Randy Johnson wrote:

Farm 5 days a week so you could raid the other 2 days. been there.

I have wasted more the 20 years on video games. It is sickening to think about it.
Clash of clans has been my nemesis. Wasted so much time and money on it over the years. Quite sad really.
2010 Yamaha GC-31C Made in Japan

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 am

Martin Davis wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:19 am

Clash of clans has been my nemesis. Wasted so much time and money on it over the years. Quite sad really.
Pffft. Quit beating yourselves up over it. Lots of people spend hour after hour playing chess, bridge, poker, solitaire, darts, whatever.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 am

lamecrow wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:05 pm
I am curious. Are there those who might be called non-serious students who would like to learn to play a guitar for their own enjoyment just because they like the instrument and its sound? The people whom I am speaking of are not interested in performing. These people are only casually interested in improving technique but might pick up good technique gradually over time. Improvement need not be fast. Only simple compositions of current or more famous classical music would be of interest.
That describes me close to 100%.

I like performing in groups. Hate solo.
The guitar is 100% monastic and meditative for me.
Every now and then I look forward to losing my nails so I can strum some steel strings in case the uke group needs a tenor guitarist.
And I'm very slowly learning violin to play that in the uke group. So CG is very much a back-burner thing.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:33 am

I am a casual player too. I have played mandolin for over six years now. I started guitar and been playing daily for 2. Started piano three months ago. Restarted violin this year. I play 3 instruments a day to spend my afternoons and the whole 4 on weekends. Definitely not interested in performing, but don't mind taking my mandolin or my guitar when I am out with friends and playing a little.
What I might be interested in is teaching the mandolin, but I live in the mandolin desert. Can't find any other players or people interested in learning. I do enjoy however playing with another guitar player and wish someday I would become good enough to play in a group.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:48 pm

ddray wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 am
Martin Davis wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:19 am

Pffft. Quit beating yourselves up over it. Lots of people spend hour after hour playing chess, bridge, poker, solitaire, darts, whatever.

"We're all just killin' time" - minus the bear.

When it becomes bad is when a game moves from simply killing idle time to sucking up ALL available time.

It's one thing to play maybe a few hours a day.. 8 hours a day? And spending money and time you know you shouldn't?

That's an unhealthy compulsion and something is awry.

I distract myself from real life with whatever I can find. Guitar is one of these distractions. I sometimes wonder if I should quit, but at least I gain some skills and enjoyment out of it.. Wow never did -anything- for me but allow me to completely disassociate and live in a fantasy world where I ignore my real problems.

Sorry for getting OT. Definitely a difference between the casual gamer and the addict.

To be quite honest I don't think I have ever outwardly recognized that it even is an addiction, but I think it is/was.
My name is mud.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:48 pm

"We're all just killin' time" - minus the bear.

When it becomes bad is when a game moves from simply killing idle time to sucking up ALL available time.

It's one thing to play maybe a few hours a day.. 8 hours a day? And spending money and time you know you shouldn't?

That's an unhealthy compulsion and something is awry.

I distract myself from real life with whatever I can find. Guitar is one of these distractions. I sometimes wonder if I should quit, but at least I gain some skills and enjoyment out of it.. Wow never did -anything- for me but allow me to completely disassociate and live in a fantasy world where I ignore my real problems.

Sorry for getting OT. Definitely a difference between the casual gamer and the addict.

To be quite honest I don't think I have ever outwardly recognized that it even is an addiction, but I think it is/was.
That *does* sound like an unhealthy relationship with gaming. :-? Any activity done to the exclusion of all others is a problem.
Recognizing a problem is the first step in fixing it.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “The Café”