Casual

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mike Steede

Re: Casual

Post by Mike Steede » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:48 am

After a difficult upbringing and resultant introverted personality, I find guitar to be a pleasant, non-judgmental friend I can spend time with 'casually' anytime I want, coffee at hand, no strings attached. I play casually sometimes just half an hour a day, sometimes 6 or even more if I'm really into it. I have no desire to play for friends or family and would really rather not, nor do I ever want to perform - God forbid - why would I want to put myself through that agony! After all, I am as mentioned an introvert and having a sea of expectant faces looking at me is a vision from hell. The needed discipline to prepare a program would be nerve-wracking and stressful - why would I want to suck the joy out of something I love? Casual all the way...
2018 Steve Ganz 'Chulo' IR/Cedar DT
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
1991 Patrick Olmsted/Steve Ganz re-top 2017 '37 Hauser BRW/Spruce

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:34 pm

I guess I have to accept myself as a casual player. While I can't imagine ever giving it up now, I just don't have that single minded attitude and fire necessary to put in the time to be a serious player. I generally don't put in more than a hour in one sitting, but it's focused, I'm engaged, and I enjoy it. It's not a clock thing, it's what feels right for me. I like the problem solving aspects of it. It's very meditative.

Oddly I make what I think is decent progress and that's fulfilling too.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:47 pm

BugDog wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:34 pm
I guess I have to accept myself as a casual player. While I can't imagine ever giving it up now, I just don't have that single minded attitude and fire necessary to put in the time to be a serious player. I generally don't put in more than a hour in one sitting, but it's focused, I'm engaged, and I enjoy it. It's not a clock thing, it's what feels right for me. I like the problem solving aspects of it. It's very meditative.

Oddly I make what I think is decent progress and that's fulfilling too.
An hour is a solid amount of practice time - nothing to sneeze at, especially if a regular, daily thing. You're bound to make headway over time. And yes, it really is about the challenge and self-satisfaction gained. Can't beat it I think. Great mental exercise and de-stressor, especially as we get older and need the extra stimulation.
2018 Steve Ganz 'Chulo' IR/Cedar DT
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
1991 Patrick Olmsted/Steve Ganz re-top 2017 '37 Hauser BRW/Spruce

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 pm

I was casual on electric until I got really good. Then the natural progression was to join a group and perform in public venues. On classical, I don't care if I ever perform again as that is not my goal ... I probably will, eventually. I am currently working out harmonies with a vocalist from the SF Conservatory. Her expectation is that our work will result in performances. So that drives the equation more than any need on my part to display my abilities in public.

I find that playing casually is a good thing as it is devoid of pressure to get good enough for public presentation. Me and my circle of musicians will actively take breaks from performance and we call it "wood shedding". When we emerge, we know new material, techniques, etc, and we are that much more prepared for performance.

But follow your own desire. Only prepare for performance if that's what you want to do. It does not follow that you must transition from casual excellence to public performance.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:20 am

I guess that I am a super casual player. I don’t really have a practice routine. Some days I will play for hours, and some days, I don’t play at all. It all depends on how I feel. Some days my health won’t allow it. But, it has been getting better, and my practice time has gone up as a result. Some days are so bad that the only CG related time I get is surfing the forum from bed.

I won’t say that public performance is out, but not for the CG. My son and I will play at blues/rock jams on occasion with our electric guitars, but the last time I did that was months ago, and I was pretty sick when we did it. But my son convinced me to do it, even though I was ill. Jams are fun. They will tell you the chord progression, and you just play follow the leader.

gjj

Post by gjj » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:40 pm

lamecrow wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:05 pm
I am curious. Are there those who might be called non-serious students who would like to learn to play a guitar for their own enjoyment just because they like the instrument and its sound? The people whom I am speaking of are not interested in performing. These people are only casually interested in improving technique but might pick up good technique gradually over time. Improvement need not be fast. Only simple compositions of current or more famous classical music would be of interest.
This fits me to a "T". Hope that doesn't make me a Casual-T. Maybe I should change my handle to that!
I too am a bass player also and still do get together with a small band a few times a month and enjoy playing good old R&R. No desire to gig though, used to do that but now just don't have the motivation to go through all the work involved, load up, setting up, tearing down etc.
These days, nothing is better than turning the lights down low, lighting some incense, having a cup of tea and just enjoying the peaceful solitude of playing the Classical Guitar.

andries veldhuis

Post by andries veldhuis » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Since my 40th birthday I'm a casual classic guitar player, my skills improve very slow.
Just for fun playing electric in a cover band, love it.

castro743

Post by castro743 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:25 am

I used to beat myself over time 'wasted' on video games, ballroom dancing, what else...uh martial arts. The thing is, most of the regret does not come from me but from what people wanted me to be TODAY...not even what people wanted me to become along the journey - as long as I could make a buck people would just let you be. But nowadays they see this guy who's been not without talent most of his life, unemployed for six years and no clue of how to get a job to pay rent so they blame "all the time you wasted on video games and saturday night fever, and that stupid karate practice..."

Just as ddray replied to Martin "lots of people play chess, bridge, solitaire..." do you think they worry about what has it amounted to them? So what if people spend outrageous hours on RPG, painting class, or guitar playing? Top guitarrists we revere done guitar playing to the exclusion of most other stuff people deemed important for them to do. And its not because they were allowed to. It wasn't even because they knew they were talented and so the hours wasted would accrue some badass accomplishments later. They done so because they just didn't care about anything else as hard as that activity.
Thats the madness people won't accept and shame us on. I could listen to my dad talking **** about my guitar playing "NOW WHAT? you think you going to be a musician? I mean what the f* 33 years old can't get a job, you should've just sticked with options trading if you just put yourself into USEFUL stuff just as hard as you dedicate to these scales and etudes..." just as I listened him talk about most things I've picked along the way...Or I can just not give a care. And carry on.

Statistically speaking, guitar playing won't be anything greater than a sweet hobby for most of us. Just as video games are for most people. Often times they are the one thing that can make reality endurable.

wil weten

Post by wil weten » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:22 pm

lamecrow wrote:
I am curious. Are there those who might be called non-serious students who would like to learn to play a guitar for their own enjoyment just because they like the instrument and its sound? The people whom I am speaking of are not interested in performing. These people are only casually interested in improving technique but might pick up good technique gradually over time. Improvement need not be fast. Only simple compositions of current or more famous classical music would be of interest.
I don't quite understand what's the root and the purpose of your question.

I do like to learn to play the guitar (better) for my own enjoyment, just because I like the instrument and its sound. And, indeed, I am not interested in performing.
BUT, I am seriously interested in improving my playing technique, though I don't need improvement to be fast. For me, voyage is at least as interesting and enjoyable as the goal. And, though I mainly love 'adagio'-pieces, they don't necessarily need to be simple. I gave up the guitar several times, because for me playing on a full scale guitar with my small fingers was a real struggle. In your opinion, would this make me a 'non-serious' guitar player?

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Casual???? The word has, in my mind, a derogatory connotation. Consider a few dictionary definitions...

-- without definite or serious intention; careless or offhand; passing

-- seeming or tending to be indifferent to what is happening; apathetic; unconcerned

-- without emotional intimacy or commitment

Would you dine on the food of a "casual chef?" Yuk. How about a "casual runner?" "Yes, about 6 months ago I ran a few hundred yards." The "casual guitarist?" "Well, I tried to play a scale last month."

I dunno, seems to me anything done in a casual manner is not worth doing, as the results from either choice are about the same. Life has a certain intensity, and one must bring a certain level of passion to whatever it is we undertake. I have witnessed rocks lying on the ground that could play a simple Sor study as well as any "casual guitarist." :wink:

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:32 pm

lamecrow wrote:
Yes, there are those who might be called non-serious students who would like to learn to play a guitar for their own enjoyment just because they like the instrument and its sound.

Return to “The Café”