Struggling for a "New Topic"

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
heyjc011

Struggling for a "New Topic"

Post by heyjc011 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 pm

OK I really enjoy this forum, but I've struggled to come up with a new topic that has not been thoroughly vetted by others. Going back into the archives reveals countless issues that have already been discussed ad nauseam. I don't want to simply post an inane comment in order to remain active. Sometimes I feel pressured to speak in order to simply fulfill my monthly quota and not be kicked out of the forum.
Does anyone else feel this way or am I a loner?
Jeff
Last edited by heyjc011 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Langley

Re: Struggling for a "New Topic"

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:12 pm

I have had past accounts be kicked.

I often feel pressured to post, as well.
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is mud.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 pm

If having a minimum number of post is hard to achieve, welcome two new members a month at their introductions. That’s easy enough. Just write “Welcome to the Forum” and hit submit. Easy.

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Well, now your good to go for another month!

bear

Post by bear » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:13 pm

heyjc011 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 pm
OK I really enjoy this forum, but I've struggle to come up with a new topic that has not been thoroughly vetted by others. Going back into the archives reveals countless issues have already been discussed ad nauseam. I don't want to simply post an inane comment in order to remain active. Sometimes I feel pressured to speak in order to simply fulfill my monthly quota and be kicked out of the forum.
Jeff
”If you want me to speak for an hour, I am ready today.” “If you want me to speak for just a few minutes, it will take me a few weeks to prepare.” - Mark Twain

This may also apply to writing.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:54 pm

I’d love it if more people posted about pieces they are working on or recordings they are listening to. Tell us about what you are learning from the music or why you enjoy it.

For some of us, the forum is a big part of our window into the classical guitar world. Those kinds of posts are educational.
Best,
Chuck

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:28 pm

heyjc011 wrote:
Sometimes I feel pressured to speak in order to simply fulfill my monthly quota and be kicked out of the forum.
Jeff, maybe you know this but just in case - the rule it to post 1 comment /month on average - and if you post more they are like stored credits for future months.

So for example, in your case you joined 4 months ago, but already have 21 comments as of this writing. So you are "safe" from account deletion till at least February 2020 - even if you do not post anything more till then but only log in once every 12 months.

Hope this alleviates the pressure a bit :chaud:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Jeff
It helps if you picture the "fluid" nature of the membership. People come and go, so comments on topics that seem to be obvious or old hat will come as news to many. Try to relax and just chime in whenever you have anything to say. Comments don't have to be especially novel or profound.
After all, we are classical guitarists, who work for hours on a few measures of a piece and play pieces for years before they are at performance level. In short, you have to work really hard to bore us. :lol:
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:11 pm

I've never really seen the point of the post requirements for keeping the account active, I've never seen this concept on any other forum before.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Join the Acronym Game, the Change the Word Game, or the Write a Story Using 5 Words Game.

Or look at Favorite Websites and make comments about the ones you like or dislike.

Also no one really minds discussions, that's what this forum is for. There's absolutely nothing wrong with commenting on an old Topic, despite what people might insinuate.
"I can sense the atonal...I always try very hard to bring it out."
- Julian Bream

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:45 am

heyjc011 wrote:
OK I really enjoy this forum, but I've struggle to come up with a new topic that has not been thoroughly vetted by others. Going back into the archives reveals countless issues have already been discussed ad nauseam. I don't want to simply post an inane comment in order to remain active. Sometimes I feel pressured to speak in order to simply fulfill my monthly quota and be kicked out of the forum.
Jeff
Jeff, what wines to you prefer?

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:38 am

Maybe the word struggling should be the one in quotes, not new topic.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:40 am

That counts as a post. It’s almost hard not to post an average of one post per month unless you just disappear for two or three years and/or were never active to begin with.

About posting new topics as opposed to reviving zombie threads: posting as a new topic instead of adding to an old topic can make an old topic take on a fresh perspective. And for some time old topics are being purged based on what appears to be based on nothing more than when the topic was first posted. Some even have new posts within days of being purged. So it sometimes can be a complete waste of effort to revive an old topic anymore because it can disappear at any moment.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

dory

Post by dory » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:00 am

I got a negative comment about one of my postings on the French forum and didn’t visit for many months, as I am excessively sensitive. Then I wanted to ask a question about how to surprise someone (in a nice way) that I thought was not on the forum but wasn’t sure. I preferred to ask in French which felt more private. When I went back to the French forum—surprise— I was still a member even though I had not posted in a very long time. Apparently I posted enough a couple of years ago that I was still a member. Now I guess I will have to say “welcome” every month or so to feel safe. What I wish is that we were allowed to count our posts across languages. That is, if I put 6 posts, for example in the English forum it would count as two posts in each of 3 forums of my choice.
Dory

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 am

robin loops wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:40 am

That counts as a post. It’s almost hard not to post an average of one post per month unless you just disappear for two or three years and/or were never active to begin with.

However, making posts with just "…" is not a way to make friends with the mods. :contrat: It just makes work.

Often people who change their minds about what they posted, delete the content and replace it with three dots. If they notify the mods, we will remove the almost empty post. If we come such a post anywhere it will also be removed. They just clog up the thread.

Return to “The Café”