Songs, Pieces Of Music and/or Specific Recordings That Always Make You CRY!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: Songs, Pieces Of Music and/or Specific Recordings That Always Make You CRY!

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Hopefully the link is cool

Was watching the Quincy movie on Netflix and man, this whalloped me.
My Recordings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-33zafCSUfVPpFWHgyh-LZ

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Few better than Brother Ray, Chris. The real deal! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 am

ddray wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 am
Dinu Lipatti's final recital
OK is that the recital at the Besancon Festival where he plays the Bach Bb Partita, a Mozart Sonata, some Schubert Impromptus and ends with the Chopin Waltzes? It is a very beautifully played recital. Lovely tone so natural is the playing. The waltzes are especially touching. I love the ones in the minor keys especially. Thanks for mentioning this.

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 am

Rick Hutt wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:45 pm
Schubert's "Wintereisse" brings me close. I have been performing about 6 pieces from this cycle. "Der Leiermann", the final piece is emotinally shattering. Two performances I particularly like are done by Ian Bostridge and by Jonas Kaufmann. I'lll be performing it myself in a few weeks and am really looking forward to it.
I agree Wintereisse is a very powerful song cycle -there are many great recordings - I'm very fond of the Fischer-Dieskau recordings for Deutsche Grammophon - there's an early one from 1966 with Jorge Demus at the piano - Fischer-Dieskau is in beautiful sweet voice and there's one almost years later from 1985 with Gerald Moore at the piano - Dieskau's voice is more mature and perhaps not as sweet but the feeling and interpretation has deepened - both are must-listens. Thanks for mentioning this great song cycle.

I'll definitely give a good listen to the ones by Kaufmann and Bostridge. Thanks for the recommendation. :merci:

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:49 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:15 pm
Rick Hutt wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:45 pm
Schubert's "Wintereisse" brings me close. I have been performing about 6 pieces from this cycle. "Der Leiermann", the final piece is emotinally shattering. Two performances I particularly like are done by Ian Bostidge and by Jonas Kaufmann. I'lll be performing it myself in a few weeks and am really looking forward to it.
Hello, Rick.
You might probably like this too.
IMHO, I couldn't find anybody better than Tenor Fritz Wunderlich for German Lieders.
My most favorite is Dichterliebe by Robert Schumann, which was performed by him.
Wow this is so beautiful! Wunderlich's voice is so sweet and paired with the music of Schumann it's absolutely sublime. Thanks for sharing! :merci:

Ray

Re: Songs, Pieces Of Music and/or Specific Recordings That Always That Make You CRY!

Post by Ray » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:56 am

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Gordon wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:52 pm
My favourite song makes me conjure up memories of my parents,... "I'll Be Seeing You" - Johnny Mathis.. rendition heard on Youtube. It was on an LP by Mathis (1959) and was originally written for a musical in 1938. When I was 16, my father passed away in the Winter. My mother decided to take me with her, on a sort of "relief" trip to Paris that summer. We spent two weeks there and visited every place we ever heard of in Paris, establishing long-lasting memories. Unfortunately, my mother suddenly passed away also, just before Xmas of that year. The words in "I'll Be Seeing You" (like the chestnut trees, the carousels, and "all the old familiar places") sadly remind me of the time my mom and I spent enjoying Paris together, in 1965.

Beautifully said, Gordon, It is also one of my favorite songs. Here's one of the best takes sung by Lady Day--Billie Holiday of this classic Jazz standard.
Playing again . . . Rognvald
This Billie Holiday version is very touching and yes it made me tear up!!. Her voice is so sad and tragic from the very first note.

I once saw a movie about her life starring Diana Ross called Lady Sings The Blues when I was in college - haunts me till this day. Thanks for sharing.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:01 am

Ray wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 am
ddray wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 am
Dinu Lipatti's final recital
OK is that the recital at the Besancon Festival where he plays the Bach Bb Partita, a Mozart Sonata, some Schubert Impromptus and ends with the Chopin Waltzes? It is a very beautifully played recital. Lovely tone so natural is the playing. The waltzes are especially touching. I love the ones in the minor keys especially. Thanks for mentioning this.
That's it, and you know I've read that Lipatti was too ill and tired to play the last Chopin waltz on the program. When he told the audience that, the sound engineer stopped recording. Lipatti then played Myra Hess's transcription of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"...which had been the first piece Lipatti had ever played in public. What a recording that would've been if that had been included.

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:08 am

randalljazz wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:07 am
clair de lune and pavane pour une infante defunte, pretty much any version or arrangements. so wistful, resigned, accepting of the human condition.
eliane elias sings jobim, especially 'anos dourados' and 'pois e'
much of gordon lightfoot, starting with 'early morning rain'
about any version of 'four strong winds'
nilsson's 'without you'
every other mersey beat tune from the sixties
ray price 'for the good times', ands lots of honky tonk songs from when country was still country

for some reason, many of manhattan transfer's slick vocalese performances evoke that, too...maybe for the sheer dexterity and mastery of their own peculiar genre (airegin, until i met you, jeannine, four brothers, joy spring, move...)
Great choices randalljazz - I love Eliane Elias what a great pianist and singer and of course Jobim's incredible music as well. There's a song called Passarim by Jobim about a little bird and the Amazon forest that fills me with tears every time, I like the Portuguese version better than the English. Don't know that song by Lightfoot will check it out. - the only song I know is If You Could Read My Mind which of course is very beautiful. Harry Nilsson is a singer that is very emotional. He does a gorgeous version of Over The Rainbow that was used so dramatically in the movie You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan - that moment in the movie with Nilsson singing makes me cry every time!

Manhattan Transfer are superb I'm a big fan as well.

Thanks for sharing!

:merci:

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:24 am

I'd have to admit that I'm nearly brought to tears every time I listen closely to Bach's 6-part Ricercar from the Musical Offering. I just think, "How...?"

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:40 am

This entire Album, has brought me many tears of sorrow and joy, and has continued to do so ever since I first gave it a listen so many years ago:
IMG_9283.JPG

After words I often listen to this Album, especially on long road trips, and it gives me much hope and inspiration, in part due to her uniquely pure genius, which is truly umatched by anyone:
IMG_9284.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 am

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Schlummert ein ihr matten Augen, from Bach Cantata 82, Ich habe genug...this is the most beautiful piece of music I have ever listend to. Fischer-Dieskau and Karl Richter on Bach, it can't get better.

But also on the same emotional level:
Birgit Nilsson, Richard Wagner, Tristan und Isolde, Liebestod

Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 pm

Florence Foster Jenkins does it for me - every time. A remarkable lady.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 pm

I don't think I've cried since I got out of diapers but Non Ti Scordar Di Me and anything by Puccini.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

doug

Post by doug » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:54 am

The bluegrass song, "Echo Mountain." I have a soft spot for dogs.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm

From Robert Schumann's Spanische Liederbuch, "Tief im Herzen trag' ich Pein". . . .I drizzle every time. . .

Return to “The Café”