Am I being unreasonable?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dan5001

Am I being unreasonable?

Post by dan5001 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 am

I have a beautiful quite new french polished guitar. The finish is really soft and already It has a multitude of Tiny scratches from regular playing.
I let my 14 year old son play on it - he is quite a good player. Today he was playing it with a plastic plectrum. I told him never to do that as I feared it would scratch the finish.
Am I being unreasonable?. He thinks I am.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am

Don't understnd why you even let him play on the guitar- no matter how hard you try to explain him the point he will never understand nor respect.

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am
Don't understnd why you even let him play on the guitar- no matter how hard you try to explain him the point he will never understand nor respect.
You must have met my son!
I guess we give them the benefit of the doubt ..

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:58 am

dan5001 wrote:Am I being unreasonable?
No.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:20 pm

of course you should NOT let him play on your classical frensh polish guitar with a plectrum. It´s gonna damage it one way or the other. This is just common sense.
There is a reason why all acoustic steel-string guitars do have a golpeador below the string...it is to protect the top from the damages that could be caused by the plectrum

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:32 pm

I would not allow any guitar (even a $500 polyurethane finished instrument) that doesn’t have a pick guard installed to be plectrum played. Even heavy strumming is problematic in my eyes.

For instruments that are normally plectrum played, such as steel string acoustics and electrical guitars, the pick guard is typically an integral part of the design.

Edit: Carlos beat me while typing ;)

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Reminds me of "what part of "no" don't you understand". :-)

Tar and feathers was a traditional remedy for misbehavior. Probably not allowed anymore and may not have been conducive to peace within the family home. How about find out much the maker or a reputable french polisher would charge and deduct from his pocket money?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:39 pm

It's always a balancing of goods. If playing exactly this guitar will inspire him to learn guitar in depth, that might be a low price, but if the guitar would be destroyed for nought it might be more reasonable to buy him a cheap guitar for any banging practice :D

I don't understand in which way you consider your french polish especially soft. Just as any, or is something peculiar to it?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks, I think I have enough ammo here to convince him.
I don't know if the polish is soft relative to other French polish. I assume it's pretty standard for French polish.
Thanks all 🙂

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:51 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:It's always a balancing of goods. If playing exactly this guitar will inspire him to learn guitar in depth, that might be a low price ...
I guess that he already has his own guitar - Dan5001 said in the first post that, "he is quite a good player".

It's a matter of simple respect for someone else's property - Dan5001 prefers his instrument to be properly treated by anyone to whom he grants the privelege of playing it. It's a reasonable request.

Oops - posted whilst I was writing Dan. Good luck encouraging your son to play whilst acknowledging your guidelines.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Whenever you have to pay for a guitar being repolished($$$), or learn to FP and do it yourself(time and effort,try/error), you will discover the answer...

I would not allow anybody to play a FP guitar with a pick :mrgreen:, nowadays kids do not know what is being told "no",parents do neither practice asertivity and spoil their kids like as they were the center of the universe :lol: (sorry to said this but when i see this, the consequence is no respect given to the parents/kids talking to them as they were their buddies...)

Now talking seriously, things are built with a purpose,misuse and intended damage of an item/tool is IMHO disrespecting the builder ( specially in handmade instrument, as he probably put his sweat and blood in crafting it:chaud: )

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:31 pm

dan5001 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 am
I have a beautiful quite new french polished guitar. The finish is really soft and already It has a multitude of Tiny scratches from regular playing.
I let my 14 year old son play on it - he is quite a good player. Today he was playing it with a plastic plectrum. I told him never to do that as I feared it would scratch the finish.
Am I being unreasonable?. He thinks I am.
If he is indeed a good player, has some common sense, and is mindful of what he's doing, he should be able to noodle around on your guitar using a plectrum without damaging it. I have done this from time to time on my classical guitars without incident. Now, would I let him play a gig using a plectrum on a french polished guitar without tap plates? Probably not.

jake39

Post by jake39 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:17 pm

This is a Byers I bought a couple of years ago.
It had a plectrum in the case. Someone in it's long line of ownership was a strummer as you can tell.
I've since had it redone for $600.

So my point is NO, you are not being unreasonable :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dng

Post by dng » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Am I being unreasonable?

The answer is no. You're being reasonable. If you want to keep your guitar the way you like, get him a guitar for himself and you're both free to do whatever you want. I have friends and visitors at my place and quite often they want to play on my guitars to show off their skills or for fun.... I let them play on my Cordoba or on my Terrada but never on my Kohno or Ramirez 1a. The reason is how can I trust them even they say that they will be careful? - The Cordoba and the Terrada already have a couple dings due to being bumped on a table corner or a stool, not counting some scratches here and there... and they said they are careful... You're responsible for your guitar and only you.. :D
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:41 pm

No, you're not being unreasonable.

Your son is 14? Explain your reasoning to him, certainly. But keep the case locked. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Café”