Is your place vegetarian/vegan? Lisbon is!!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Is your place vegetarian/vegan? Lisbon is!!

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm

As an upgrade to my former thread about Jacaranda trees in Lisbon I want to make some further promotion of my beautiful city and of my fantastic guitars of course. (Lisbon is very crowdy meanwhile, so don't say you havn't been warned). https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 30&t=87456

But as I said before one good reason to choose Lisbon as your travel destiny is of course to eat Icecream at casa do Gelado in Avenida de Roma, look at the fantastic Jacarand trees and have some vegatarian or vegan meals if you like this.

We must be mean while the most vegatarian and vegan city in Europe - you can prove me that I am wrong of course and I am looking forward to it.

If you are vegan or vegetarian have fun and don't forget to buy one of my guitars. My workshop is near metro station Senhor Roubado and I have allways nice instruments to show which are also for sale.

I did count 38, and there must be more!

I send you here a list of all the vegetarian/vegan places I know in Lisbon, not counting the outskirts, just Lisbon City:

- Selfservice of the Modern Art museum Galouste Gulbenkian
- Colmeia
- Espiral
- Green Pepper
- Jardim das Cerejas
- Os Tibetanos
- Veganapati
- Jardim dos Sentidos
- Cozinharmonia
- Escolha Natura
- Oasis
- Bio
- Graça 77
- Psi
- Osiris
- Celeiro Dieta 1º dez.
- Paladar Zen
- Rota do Oriente
- Terra
- My Mother's Daughter's
- Templo Hindu
- Naz by Ohana Parque Nações
- Naz by Ohana Rossio
- Miss Saigão
- Gordon 26
- The Food Temple
- Planeta Bio
- Hare Krishna
- Alfarroba
- Naked
- Organi chiado
- Food printz
- Vegana Burgers
- The Green Afair
- O Botanista
- Quintal de Santo Amaro
- Juicy
Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

riffmeister

Re: Is your place vegetarian/vegan? Lisbon is!!

Post by riffmeister » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:40 pm

Being vegan, good to know, as Portugal is on my bucket list!

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:40 pm
Being vegan, good to know, as Portugal is on my bucket list!
Thank you Riffmeister, so you will play riffs in Lisbon and bucket then to pay your vegan dish :D Just joking of course.

A friend from Chile did play classical in a nice place (São Vicente de Fora) It is a former covent with a big patio outside and a fountain, and it was really magic, because people could not see him frist when coming near by, they could just hear the music, he had petty much success and sold a lot of CD's he had for sale.
Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:09 am

This is one of my vegetarian girls by the way, amazing thing
DT spruce.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm

So no hide glue?

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:12 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm
So no hide glue?
No hide glue in fact but not because of beeing animal glue, just because I don't see the point of it. They used it because they had nothing else then,so why bother when modern materials do the same job better. Of course this subject is worse then a Segovia thread and I don't intend to discuss if hide glue has any influence on sound, it hasn't, but who will believe me?

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:49 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:12 pm
riffmeister wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm
So no hide glue?
No hide glue in fact but not because of beeing animal glue, just because I don't see the point of it. They used it because they had nothing else then,so why bother when modern materials do the same job better. Of course this subject is worse then a Segovia thread and I don't intend to discuss if hide glue has any influence on sound, it hasn't, but who will believe me?
You need to use hide glue to get that "old world" sound! :lol:

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:54 am

What a beautiful guitar! I would eat it without any hesitation :-)

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:28 am

riffmeister wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:49 am
You need to use hide glue to get that "old world" sound! :lol:
Absolutly, too many experts watching and listening :chaud: .
Carlos wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:54 am
What a beautiful guitar! I would eat it without any hesitation :-)
Hi Carlos it smells even better than it looks, like a lot of girls..My polish on the top has sandarac, benzoe and mastix in it beside the shellack and this smells fantastic, like a baby.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:35 am

This was today. It is a vegan street festival which takes place this weekend in the Santa Clara market and Botto Machado garden in Lisbon. We had lunch there.

veggie vibes-comp.jpg
Veggie vibes ;.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:23 am

My daughter would love your city. She's a vegetarian and her mother is Portuguese. I would love one (or more) of your guitars and a steak (hold the vegetables).
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 am

While I am not vegetarian or vegan, I do love Lisboa, and I will be coming back to Lisboa again later this year in September on holiday. I stay further south in the city near the river at Praça de São Paulo near Cais do Sodre. I am most looking forward to the grilled octopus and sardines, but we do enjoy the fresh vegitables also at the Time Out Market. Who knows, perhaps I could arrange to see and play one of your guitars. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:04 pm

How lovely, Lisboa is a marvellous city, so with vegans and fado (do Coimbra!) it sounds like heaven . . .

Kent

Post by Kent » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:53 pm

There must be something in the water (or in the vegetarian food), because everyone I have ever met from Portugal is a very happy person.
Looks like the guitars are great too!

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:59 pm

bear wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:23 am
My daughter would love your city. She's a vegetarian and her mother is Portuguese. I would love one (or more) of your guitars and a steak (hold the vegetables).
You are a lucky man to have a daughter which is half portuguese! No problem for the meat in Portugal, there is plenty of it, if I wasn't vegetarian I would take cabrito, without any doubt. We have also excellent black porc, and certified pasture beef of very good quality if you choose the right place.
StGeorge wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 am
While I am not vegetarian or vegan, I do love Lisboa, and I will be coming back to Lisboa again later this year in September on holiday. I stay further south in the city near the river at Praça de São Paulo near Cais do Sodre. I am most looking forward to the grilled octopus and sardines, but we do enjoy the fresh vegitables also at the Time Out Market. Who knows, perhaps I could arrange to see and play one of your guitars. 8)
-There is plenty of it even if the sardines became pretty expensive I guess. We have been at Timeout market for lunch a few weeks ago but it was so crowdy that it was complicated to get something to eat and I refuse to do it again for lunch.. Call me if you wish to check my instruments.
kirolak wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:04 pm
How lovely, Lisboa is a marvellous city, so with vegans and fado (do Coimbra!) it sounds like heaven . . .
It is rather like heaven and hell, a vegetarian hell, but at least it is good weather most time. Fado is a fatalistic cultural expression in form of poetry and music in the spirit of the portuguese word saudade which basicaly means something like homesickness and despair, and fado was the escape for the working class for their tiny boring lifes without any pespective for an exit. Today we use the expression "it is fado" to say that it is a drama or a situation without solution.
Kent wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:53 pm
There must be something in the water (or in the vegetarian food), because everyone I have ever met from Portugal is a very happy person.
Looks like the guitars are great too!
It is rather in the air and in the light. Lisbon has this precious sublime light which elevates everything into another dimension. Portuguese are all around, you lift a stone an ups a portuguese coming out, and yes they are special and friendly and I am lucky to live hear for nearly 30 years now. Guitars are like wine or women there is space and taste for any kind, I love mine.

Return to “The Café”