Concert attire

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Kevin L Benbow

Concert attire

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 pm

On March 8 2020 I will give my first concert. I have been playing publicly for years, but this is the first real concert of my career.

While it will be a formal occasion, I hate wearing ties and jackets while performing.

Any ideas of how I can get a nice formal look without being strangled and overheated?
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

Mollbarre

Re: Concert attire

Post by Mollbarre » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Yes! Nice solid coloured or slightly patterned shirt. Nehru collar.

Well fitting black pants. Nice dressy shoes. Make sure you wear tall socks.

Make sure your pants are long enough, if they are standard length - or short enough if they are cropped. If cropped, boots and coloured socks might look better.
Last edited by Mollbarre on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Mollbarre, I so agree about the socks. I hate looking at somebody's pasty shin or calf. I'm one of the few who still uses a footstool.

I googled the nehru collar . . . .that does look nice . . .I wonder if I can find it without full buttons down the front . . .or at least buttons covered by fabric.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:22 am

Well, you don't have to wear a tie, and you don't have to button your jacket either. I like Nehru collars too, but they are difficult to find. Ditto on the tall socks and long enough pants!

Sometimes, a jacket is nice because it hides the sweat! (Also has pockets for tuning fork, capo, etc.)

Try to wear your concert attire to practice a couple times, too.

cheers!
dirck

Vladimir Gorbach seems to be a snappy dresser. Here's what he wore at GFA finals:
Vladimir-Gorbach-LR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 am

A tailor shop may be able to help you with buttons.

A basic shirt won't go out of style quickly so investing in some upgrades is fine.

A good quality pullover, the thinner cotton kind, with a mock turtleneck, also looks very nice. But you might find it too warm?

I play in our community orchestra and we go to our share of concerts. I like to sit close to the front so I can watch the violins - as a result I've spent a lot of time checking out shoes and ankles....
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 am

BTW Avi Avital always looks good, with a very basic wardrobe...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:47 am

Just google “men’s Nehru collar shirt hidden placket” and you will find quite a few places that sell them.
:-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:29 am

Thank-you all so much for the recommendations. I really don't want to wear a jacket . . . but if I could find something light it would be good. I agree about hiding the sweat. . .
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12

Guero

Post by Guero » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 am

A Borat Mankini is quite light. But what kind of shoes to wear with it?

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:18 pm

As long as you don't suffer from excessive dandruff (!) a semi formal all black outfit works: proper hard black polished shoes, black formal ironed trousers (cotton or lined for comfort, slightly loose fitting but well fitted & styled) and black formal shirt either buttoned up to last button or 2nd last and black t-shirt / vest inside or cravat for a fancier / more classy look (in which case white t-shirt is ok inside. Or for more comfort use a black cotton well fitting polo neck shirt. If you do have dandruff (mine sometimes shows more than other times) use a white formal shirt in a similar way of white polo neck.

Or for a more fancy but comfortable look - use a colourful patterned loose cotton shirt - in the style of 60s or 70s psychedelic Pink Floyd!

Or formal shirt buttoned top button and fancyish waistcoat (but you might look like a waiter!).

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Guero wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 am
A Borat Mankini is quite light. But what kind of shoes to wear with it?
I almost spit my coffee on the screen when I googled it.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Conall wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:18 pm
As long as you don't suffer from excessive dandruff (!) a semi formal all black outfit works: proper hard black polished shoes, black formal ironed trousers (cotton or lined for comfort, slightly loose fitting but well fitted & styled) and black formal shirt either buttoned up to last button or 2nd last and black t-shirt / vest inside or cravat for a fancier / more classy look (in which case white t-shirt is ok inside. Or for more comfort use a black cotton well fitting polo neck shirt. If you do have dandruff (mine sometimes shows more than other times) use a white formal shirt in a similar way of white polo neck.

Or for a more fancy but comfortable look - use a colourful patterned loose cotton shirt - in the style of 60s or 70s psychedelic Pink Floyd!

Or formal shirt buttoned top button and fancyish waistcoat (but you might look like a waiter!).
Dandruff is sometimes an issue. And black absorbs heat.

Comfort is the key word, though.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12

Intune

Post by Intune » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:29 pm

As concert guitarists down through the ages have told us, the only cure for dandruff on stage is a herringbone jacket.

Good luck.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)
2019 Michael Cadiz (spruce/ziricote)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:29 pm

It depends what philosophy you are aiming for. The Liberace/Elton John look of flamboyance? Tuxedo formality? Somewhere in between?

When I perform with my master instructor, he wears all the sensible stuff, like a collared shirt, slacks, long socks, like all the above, but no tie nor jacket. I wear a black turtle neck, black slacks, and my patented 5-toe shoes. We have shared the stage with performers that look like Dame Edna Everage. But I always bare in mind that we are in the SF Bay Area, and compared to the participants in the Gay Pride Parade, even Dame Edna looks sane while holding a classical guitar. :D

5-toe shoe.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:03 pm

I tried those five-toed shoes once....they were the most uncomfortable things I ever put on; obviously the model foot they used for design was nothing like mine!! :lol:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “The Café”