Cats and CG's

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
malc laney

Cats and CG's

Post by malc laney » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 am

i was watching a repair programme , in which a large leather rhinocerous was brought in that had been with the family for 50 years and was "much loved" it was quite big and the cat had left very deep looking scrathes on it !! Do members with luthier guitars keep cats , and if so do they have a safe room for the guitar? [cases get marked also] I am sorry if a sensitive person reads this and has a picture of an attack picture of this nature on their Ramirez...

Hany Hayek

Re: Cats and CG's

Post by Hany Hayek » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am

I don't think it's likely your cat will scratch a guitar, but probably will scratch the leather case or any soft case if left unattended. Just get the cat a scratcher, it will stick to that. I've had cats fo over 15 years. I have guitars, violins, mandolins, tenor banjo, a midi controller. I had no incidents, expect for my cat sitting in the cases or trying to scratch the top of my violin soft case or the guitar soft case. Just don't leave the case out unattended. A good yell and the cats gets the idea of don't touch. The only nightmare would be a cat or a dog jumping on your instruments. It could happen. Never happened to me

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:30 pm

My cats like to sit in my open case and listen. They've never gone after my case or guitar.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 pm

I practice on my couch all the with the TV going. The minute he hears me playing, he wants on my lap. I have to pet him for a few minutes before he’ll let me play again.
Dog says...
"My owner loves me, feeds me, brushes me, pets me...
he must be a god.”
Cat says...
"My owner loves me, feeds me, brushes me, pets me...
I must be a god.”
That’s the difference between cats and dogs.

Black Cats...voted most popular color...but least adopted???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:07 pm

Hany Hayek wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am
Just get the cat a scratcher, it will stick to that. I've had cats fo over 15 years....
I had to laugh. I've had cats for 36 years - NONE will use a cat scratcher...

But they haven't ever gone after a case either...and yes, if a case is open...there will be a cat in it... :mrgreen:

Regarding black cats: Two years ago we adopted two adult cats from the shelter. They were to be barn cats and I wanted adult, spayed females. I was also surprised to find out that black cats are almost unadoptable.

We came home with two...

And, er, one is now a house cat...

The other black female is in the barn hanging out with our long-term (but feral) resident Tom - who is also black...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:26 pm

My cats are black too. The female, I have her for 15 years. I had a male that died at the age 9, five years ago. Both are part Persian part Siamese. Last September, i had to rescue a black Persian male from the street, he e 2 years old, had lost most of his hair when i found him and was only 2.5 kg. Now is a big fellow and over 5 kgs. I can't give him up. The female doesn't use the scratcher, but he does. It's cardboard made like bee wax and has catnip.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Vet told me...short hair black cats with a big voice are usually half Siamese. Mine had that voice!

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Black cats? Mine too, with a small white "bow tie" on his chest - makes him look like he's wearing a tuxedo. Sir Edmond Bean by name, Eddie, for short. That cat has crushed the dust cones on my speakers, eats the philodendrons, shreds the furniture and refuses to use his scratching post. But, he has never once touched my guitars. He will slowly walk up and lay in front of me and doze while I practice. He's a good kitty.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:18 pm
... That cat has crushed the dust cones on my speakers, eats the philodendrons, shreds the furniture and refuses to use his scratching post. ... He's a good kitty.
:mrgreen:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:14 pm

i was hoping for some great horror stories !!! CG Armageddon by cat .There is still time...

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:26 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:18 pm
... That cat has crushed the dust cones on my speakers, eats the philodendrons, shreds the furniture and refuses to use his scratching post. ... He's a good kitty.
:mrgreen:
lolz - yeah - a good kitty. Any cat that listens to me play and then leaves my instruments intact, is okay with me! :D He does have a great personality, and I cannot fault him for acting like a cat. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 pm

malc laney wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:14 pm
i was hoping for some great horror stories !!! CG Armageddon by cat .There is still time...
I think you’ll find more guitar disaster stories by dogs, kids and guitar case lids, than you will by cats.

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:53 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:07 pm
Hany Hayek wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am
Just get the cat a scratcher, it will stick to that. I've had cats fo over 15 years....
I had to laugh. I've had cats for 36 years - NONE will use a cat scratcher...

But they haven't ever gone after a case either...and yes, if a case is open...there will be a cat in it... :mrgreen:

Regarding black cats: Two years ago we adopted two adult cats from the shelter. They were to be barn cats and I wanted adult, spayed females. I was also surprised to find out that black cats are almost unadoptable.

We came home with two...

And, er, one is now a house cat...

The other black female is in the barn hanging out with our long-term (but feral) resident Tom - who is also black...
And you've never explained to her about catgut and violins!?! Shame on you! :D :wink:

I've got a ginger tom in the neighbourhood who likes to drop by and say hi in the cat way - but whenever I pick up my guitar or any other musical instrument, he leaves. He's either not a musical connoisseur, or his tastes are more highly elevated than I can aspire to. :oops:
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am

I experienced a near disaster with my cat Luigi, who was fiercely chasing a large buzzing fly. The fly landed on the guitar I was playing and Luigi tensed to spring for it, but I was able to yell at him before he did. Luckily, as the guitar was Berta Rojas's O'Leary! Another cat (not one of mine) mistook my open case for a litter-box. It may just have been his way of making a comment on my playing.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Some one shared this cat video with me several years ago:

Return to “The Café”