Out There

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
doug

Re: Out There

Post by doug » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Not likely.....as the nearest street light is about half a mile away.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Petit Mal seizure?

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:15 pm

doug wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 pm
No sir, it was not lightening. It lasted too long and there was no thunder. And it didn't "flicker" like heat lightening does....it was more of a soft, steady glow. ...
A good portion of the lightning I see is not associated with thunder. Very typical in and around the med While it does have flashes some of it consists of "pulsating" "clouds" with no noise associating. Eerie glows. Initially very strange if you have only previously experienced the classic flashes and blots of lightening with deafening thunderclaps.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 pm

There aren't any UFOs or ETs. If you look at it logically the nearest planet to Earth that can possibly support life is about 15 light years away. The fastest we can travel through space is reckoned to be about 1/10th the speed of light - so it would take 150 years for an alien to get here. So it would be dead. Unless of course they've found a way to travel faster than light.

The other problem is that the Earth has been in existence for 13.8 billion years - yet humans only arrived in the last 200,000 years, and we've only been able to travel (apart from by horse) in the last 150 years. And we'll probably be gone within another 1,000 years. We'll have blown ourselves up, destroyed the planet or suffered a natural disaster of one kind or another. So what are the chances of another alien species - within range of the Earth - being around at the same time we are, which is a blink of an eye in cosmic terms. Nil.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm

...pessimist...

... :lol:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 pm
There aren't any UFOs or ETs. If you look at it logically the nearest planet to Earth that can possibly support life is about 15 light years away. The fastest we can travel through space is reckoned to be about 1/10th the speed of light - so it would take 150 years for an alien to get here. So it would be dead. Unless of course they've found a way to travel faster than light....
Your first comments are based on current human technology (as far as we know...), as well as on our life-spans. If there is other life "out there", we do not know what technology they have (as you have suggested yourself, which I've highlighted), nor do we know how long they live, etc.. So, while we humans from earth certainly can't drop in on the nearest planet for a visit, we cannot assume that nobody else can.

It's a really big universe full of unknowns, and I see no reason to deny that there may be others out there. I've never encountered them, as far as I know, but they could exist -- it seems to be a possibility (even a logical one, considering the vastness involved, and the current limits of our knowledge...). I think it is fun to contemplate, anyway!

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Perhaps Newtonian physics doesn't apply in other universes. . . .perhaps by travelling close to the speed of light one enters a different time-stream. . . perhaps another dimension. . .perhaps other life forms are not carbon based . . perhaps "aliens" are not physical at all as we know it. . .

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:41 pm

All my life I have been interested in Space. When I was young, I read a ton of science fiction, read books on Astronomy, read Sky and Telescope magazine, and decided to study Astronomy and Astrophysics formally. I looked up in the sky constantly. If anyone saw an extraterrestrial, * I * wanted to be the one to see it. I wanted to go to Mars.
Well, every time I looked up, saw a fireball, a glow, a light moving through the sky....I knew what it was I was looking at. ☹️
No UFOs for me. I’m still waiting to look up and see something I don’t recognize. I have fielded calls from people who call observatories when they see something...and still nothing that is unidentifiable.

PS, I did a lot of work during the design and building phase of the Large Millimeterwave Telescope (LMT) they used in Mexico for that black hole experiment, and my husband helped with the instrument used on the telescope for that experiment. 😁
We were so happy to see the results come out!

Cast of thousands, as they say. ;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:25 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:43 pm
Your first comments are based on current human technology (as far as we know...), as well as on our life-spans.
Broadly yes. But bear in mind that human travel to Mars (which is about 12 light minutes away) is beyond our current technology - and probably beyond what the human body can stand. So 12 light years is completely impossible. Also bear in mind that the kinetic energy of a body is proportional to the square of its velocity. Even at 1/10th the speed of light the dangers of a collision with space debris are large. Even hitting a grain of sand at that speed can do severe damage. At the speed of light - well you'd need a new space craft at the very least. :lol:

People have postulated using wormholes to travel long distances, which they say may exist at the centre of black holes. Unfortunately a human body would be turned into a minute plasma of elementary particles because of the almost infinite gravity.
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:43 pm
It's a really big universe full of unknowns, and I see no reason to deny that there may be others out there.
I've never said there isn't. In fact, if the universe is indeed infinite then it's a certainty. My point is simply that the sheer size of the universe means that we'll never meet - even in the unlikely event that we both exist over the same time period.
kirolak wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:20 pm
Perhaps Newtonian physics doesn't apply in other universes. . . .perhaps by travelling close to the speed of light one enters a different time-stream. . . perhaps another dimension. . .perhaps other life forms are not carbon based . . perhaps "aliens" are not physical at all as we know it. . .
Newtonian physics breaks down even in our own universe - it only works acceptably on medium scale bodies (i.e. on Earth). When you get to the planetary scale we use Relativity, which so far works as accurately as we can measure. But Relativity breaks down on the very small scale (elementary particles) where Quantum theory is used. Horses for courses. However, so far, it seems that the whole of OUR universe works to the same rules as our own and all bodies are made of the same elements - which we can tell by spectroscopy.

On another universe it might be different of course, but we don't know that they exist.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:16 pm

lagartija wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:41 pm
All my life I have been interested in Space. When I was young, I read a ton of science fiction, read books on Astronomy, read Sky and Telescope magazine, and decided to study Astronomy and Astrophysics formally. I looked up in the sky constantly. If anyone saw an extraterrestrial, * I * wanted to be the one to see it. I wanted to go to Mars.
Well, every time I looked up, saw a fireball, a glow, a light moving through the sky....I knew what it was I was looking at. ☹️
No UFOs for me. I’m still waiting to look up and see something I don’t recognize. I have fielded calls from people who call observatories when they see something...and still nothing that is unidentifiable.

PS, I did a lot of work during the design and building phase of the Large Millimeterwave Telescope (LMT) they used in Mexico for that black hole experiment, and my husband helped with the instrument used on the telescope for that experiment. 😁
We were so happy to see the results come out!

Cast of thousands, as they say. ;-)

I am quite envious of your work ,Lagartija! I am also fascinated by all things space, and images of the universe fill me with a kind of exaltation.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:04 am

Grasshopper wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:25 am
...My point is simply that the sheer size of the universe means that we'll never meet - even in the unlikely event that we both exist over the same time period....
There are many times when I wish this applied here on earth.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:30 am

I saw a ufo one night. Bright white light zipping back and forth doing maneuvers far beyond what earthly aircraft could do. Watched it for about 15 minutes as it danced around in the sky making its way closer. Until it got close enough to see it was a plastic shopping bag caught in the wind.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “The Café”