The most disastrous "Chaconne" ever seen

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
SteveL123

Re: The most disastrous "Chaconne" ever seen

Post by SteveL123 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm

I thought the subject is the live video of the Chaconne posted in the first post of this thread, and not about EF's whole body of work?

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm
I thought the subject is the live video of the Chaconne posted in the first post of this thread, and not about EF's whole body of work?
Right. And there have been some sidelines branched out and being discussed in-depth, of which his interpretation is the basis of disagreement with his performances including the particular YT performance.

Someone invited me to read an accusative commentary on his specific playing by another recognised and well regarded musician being shared on his personal blog in itemized points, which all make sense and well establish his position against some of EF performances, but only as his "personal" position shared in his "personal" blog.

My thought about in this regard is, none should be excessively influenced by any such commentary to the point where they develop a prejudice that in turn prevents anyone from exploring EF any further, as there still would be takeaways from EF performances in question, knowing that there are significant number of objections against the performance, as has been the case of some other historically arguable arrangements and transcriptions.

In my humble opinion, "classical" is a style keyword of a certain hazard that might uniformly conform us to a tiny scale of a fossil fish piece reference, allowing us no discrepancy, whereas for the "classical" style pieces to survive through centuries, we have seen many "creative" attempts such as different rhythmic interpretations introduced, harmonized two parts, new compositions based on the classical "era", a dancing conductor and so on.

Now if some of us here should claim themselves being "artists", how could they base such a claim when the artists as alleged simply direct all their efforts to reproduce in strict accordance with an existent template? While it takes tremendous efforts for them to conform themselves thereto and could be duly appreciated, would there be anything that they could claim that being their own artistic "creation" after all?

I think there are some answers to the aforesaid questions in the specific EF performances being discussed here, regardless of how objectionable they may be, or how many would dislike them.

Cheers,

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon May 20, 2019 9:29 pm

Fisk is idiosyncratic, a little like Glenn Gould was. Both proved that they have "the chops" and their particular takes are worth a listen anyway. Do I like everything Gould recorded? No way. But I'll still give it a respectful listen. If I don't like it, I'll move on.
(edit) I'd add that some idiosyncratic (but skilled) "oddballs" are probably good for any performing art, instead of having armies of cookie-cutter performers. Look at the discussion this has sparked.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 am

I can think of one chaconne that's probably written to be admired with the eyes only, but why would anyone bother with catastrophic copies if it's so easy nowadays to obtain a good facsimili edition?

:tr: :bye: :arrow:
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 pm

RJVB wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 am
I can think of one chaconne that's probably written to be admired with the eyes only, but why would anyone bother with catastrophic copies if it's so easy nowadays to obtain a good facsimili edition?

:tr: :bye: :arrow:
Wise guy....
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 pm

stratlanta wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 pm
Apologies if this has been posted but I haven’t read all 19 pages of this thread. :shock:

I’m not all the way through the interview but I did find many of the things Fisk says here relate to the style he brings to pieces and therefore to this debate. He even plays snippets of Chaconne when discussing studying with Segovia. I’m not wading into this debate but after watching most of this interview I feel that I have a better understanding of why Fisk plays pieces the way he does.

I’m not endorsing him nor am I discounting him - merely posting this as background.

https://youtu.be/IQCjT6CxUhg
You don't need to, but your post sums up part of the thread in the struggle to give (or not give) your own opinion.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 pm

madrilla wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 pm
stratlanta wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 pm
Apologies if this has been posted but I haven’t read all 19 pages of this thread. :shock:

I’m not all the way through the interview but I did find many of the things Fisk says here relate to the style he brings to pieces and therefore to this debate. He even plays snippets of Chaconne when discussing studying with Segovia. I’m not wading into this debate but after watching most of this interview I feel that I have a better understanding of why Fisk plays pieces the way he does.

I’m not endorsing him nor am I discounting him - merely posting this as background.

https://youtu.be/IQCjT6CxUhg
You don't need to, but your post sums up part of the thread in the struggle to give (or not give) your own opinion.
Maybe I'm just naive or idealistic, but I genuinely believe that it's possible to simply not enjoy something without characterizing it as bad (or disastrous in this case). I don't love the way the piece is played in the original video but I actually really enjoy Fisk's attitude and point of view in the interview I posted. That's why I rarely jump into threads like this. But here I am anyway... haha.
Bastien Burlot "Alkemia" SP/IN, Dominique Delarue CD/MB, Stephan Connor SP/MP, Kenneth Brogger SP/AR, Kris Barnett "phi" CD/EB, Lorenzo Frignani SP/IR, Dieter Müller Double Top CD/MR, Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/IR

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

The opposite is just as possible...
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Return to “The Café”