Union Pacific Big Boy

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
RJVB

Re: Union Pacific Big Boy

Post by RJVB » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Sadly, that's true - and ever faster, which in itself adds more and more transfers to people who don't happen to live in a big A or big B.

Just hopping on the next train somewhere and enjoying the ride is no longer really possible (fares have been seeing to that too).
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 am

Steve Goodman’s “The City Of New Orleans” is no doubt the most popular railroad song.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri May 17, 2019 9:00 am

Most well-known maybe?

The text does describe the romance of former train travel very well, the song itself is a bit too romantic for me :)

As a kid I had the chance to ride a train like that in March 1979, the Canadian Pacific from Calgary to Vancouver. I don't think I'd have minded if my parents had booked the entire trip from Montréal (instead we flew to Calgary so I saw the snow-covered prairies from high up; and since I could spend almost the entire flight with the pilots I wasn't too disappointed :))

I suppose American trains are also beginning to look more like (supposedly) luxurious cattle transports that are all about taking the payload from one point to another as fast as possible?
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri May 17, 2019 9:12 pm

I can tell you, by the words...Goodman knew a lot about railroading. I understand he rode the “City” many times to and from college (pre Amtrak days)...maybe even a railman.

Return to “The Café”