The Starship Enterprise

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

The Starship Enterprise

Post by soltirefa » Sun May 05, 2019 5:41 pm

I saw this video of the restored original in the Smithsonian offered on YouTube homepage. I have been watching the original Star Trek once in a while on cable and so my eye caught this. Interesting to read the comments below this video. Lots of moved fans to see the restoration. I could relate to this comment.

"I have to say that my eyes got a bit misty..."

Andrew Pohlman

Re: The Starship Enterprise

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 pm

I don't think I'd get misty eyed over the Star Trek Triumvirate (Kirk, Spock, McCoy). But some of the story telling is well worth a revisit!!!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat May 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks for this!

The original series - with the "triumvirate of Kirk/Spock/McCoy" - is still the best one for me and does make me feel rather nostalgic. I found that the OS was able to bring in the viewer to the bridge of the Enterprise and make them 'part of the family'.

I cannot say anything remotely similar for the new series out there that carries the Star Trek name. But I suppose, as it is with such things, it is ONLY my opinion and that is all. Others may - AND CAN - feel otherwise inclined.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat May 11, 2019 6:06 pm

This is pretty cool -- I'd love to see the original Enterprise all lit up like that! The original Star Trek was my favourite -- I grew up watching reruns of it, I was obsessed with it as a child! -- sometimes getting up in the middle of the night to watch it, when those early sci-fi series would be shown (Outer Limits, Twilight Zone). Despite my initial misgivings about a new cast, I later developed quite a liking for Star Trek: The Next Generation (resistance was futile -- it was so well written!). Never got into the next bunch of series, though.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat May 11, 2019 6:08 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:06 pm
This is pretty cool -- I'd love to see the original Enterprise all lit up like that! The original Star Trek was my favourite -- I grew up watching reruns of it, I was obsessed with it as a child! -- sometimes getting up in the middle of the night to watch it, when those early sci-fi series would be shown (Outer Limits, Twilight Zone). Despite my initial misgivings about a new cast, I later developed quite a liking for Star Trek: The Next Generation (resistance was futile -- it was so well written!). Never got into the next bunch of series, though.
OS rules! lol

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat May 11, 2019 6:15 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:57 pm
OS rules! lol
There certainly was/is something special about the OS -- Roddenberry's positive outlook for the future was refreshing and in many ways quite revolutionary, especially for its time.
segobreawill wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:57 pm
I found that the OS was able to bring in the viewer to the bridge of the Enterprise and make them 'part of the family'.
Indeed, there was something so comfortable and familiar about it.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat May 11, 2019 6:53 pm

"I am surprised how little improvement there has been in human evolution. Oh, there has been technical advancement, but how little man himself has changed."

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat May 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Absolutely classic!

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat May 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Probably the best Star Trek episode of all. Such a clever idea for a plot and such good acting. This is the end of the episode. Kind of a tear jerker.

Edit - video replaced with a better one that goes all the way to the end of the scene.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Ah, "The City on the Edge of Forever", one of the best, indeed.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Mon May 13, 2019 11:34 am

haha So great to see that there are other Original Series Star Trek fans on Delcamp! :)

slidika

Post by slidika » Thu May 16, 2019 12:00 pm

The original Star Trek and the Star Trek Next Generation were my favorites of the Star Trek series. 8)
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 pm

I watch them all...I like them all

But Discovery? I've watched each episode- but I was angry during most of it.

Maybe Season 3 will come into its own...but I think going 1000 years into the future took it too far...they are screwing with any other potential series down the road - and adding to canon issues...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Fri May 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 pm
But Discovery? I've watched each episode- but I was angry during most of it.
I don't want to make this a rant against Discovery, so I'll keep it brief.

I agree wholeheartedly with you: Discovery is indeed a pitiful mess! Watching seasons 1 and 2 makes it very clear what their agenda was and what message they were trying to put out in the episodes - a classic case of "for those with eyes to see, and ears to hear", if you will. What makes ME angry with all of that is why didn't they go and make a different series to put out their soceital conditioning viewpoints instead of tarnishing the established name of Star Trek?

What would Gene Roddenberry have to say about Discovery?

Return to “The Café”