airport food

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

airport food

Post by simonm » Sat May 11, 2019 8:07 am

Killing time in an airport so feel like having a rant. :-)

I have been travelling a bit more than usual and have come to a rather odd conclusion: for decent airport food go to the UK. Last time I was in UK, admittedly at least a year ago it was possible to find some of the UK high street food chains and get a decent sit down meal whether Italian or UK pub grub of reasonable quality and at quite ok prices. In Spanish airports there is a choice of international greasy spoon burgers or industrial taps/sandwiches. The only decent thing is the fresh orange juice which is generally pretty good.

I found out why the Spanish airports are so bad and why everything is the same. Almost all the catering is from one group - the Areas/Elior group with 150 brands. So it doesn't matter which "brand" go to, you get the same rotten garbage at the lot.

They also lie outright on there receipts. I think they could probably be taken court on it. The say "You opinion is worth 300 euros at amazon" and send you to a survey site which it turns out to be a draw so in fact your opinion is in general worth nothing. I suppose the real reason behind the survey is to sell your travel data to amazon.

I can't really say anything about the current state of German airport food as I never have a connecting flight there so I just go in and out, however, the coffee I had in Frankfurt T2 this morning (05.40 am) was not a high point of the day.

petermc61

Re: airport food

Post by petermc61 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am

Good advice Simon. I won’t go to airports any more when I am looking for a fine dining experience!

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Simon,
simonm wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:07 am
Killing time in an airport so feel like having a rant. :-)

I have been travelling a bit more than usual and have come to a rather odd conclusion: for decent airport food go to the UK.

I can't really say anything about the current state of German airport food as I never have a connecting flight there so I just go in and out, however, the coffee I had in Frankfurt T2 this morning (05.40 am) was not a high point of the day.
Their toast bread is decent to good, so sandwiches are decent to good, as well as some of their fryups. But I really don't get vinegar provided as condiments... Otherwise generally I don't expect any gourmet from UK.

Coffee in Germany is very good to excellent, whether Lufthansa or on the ground in terminals. I should admit I love German air carrier coffee than anyone else all through the itinerary. Besides, Frankfurt is one of the most tiring airports to walk around for transits IMPO. It's just too big as a hub port.

But I have a complaint against Lufthansa over spilt coffee on my lap. The hostess immediately told me "that's nothing" before me telling her anything, so I asked them to call her in for immediate feedback. The she refused to come to me, and my experience further deteriorated as all the hosts and hostesses just evaded me thereafter. Thus I had to file a case online from home.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Sat May 11, 2019 5:08 pm

I like my lay over at Incheon - I go to a pasta cafe that serves Stella Artois on draft and have the hot prawns linguine. The layover is 3 and half hours. I have a few beers, buy a dumb novel and go to the nap dorm and lie down on one of the luxurious day beds.

Wherever you go, make sure you go through Incheon.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat May 11, 2019 5:37 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am
Good advice Simon. I won’t go to airports any more when I am looking for a fine dining experience!
:applauso:
:lol:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Sun May 12, 2019 12:28 am

Is there tortilla at the air port?

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am

Sometimes there is a "tortilla related object" in sandwiches but not always. It is in long strips to fit the rubbery industrial type baguette like object that has replaced bread all over Europe. It is always extremely salty. Many people put a lot of salt in tortilla but this is extreme. They may well be putting onion powder in it too. A decade ago tortilla in airports and fast food places was a reasonable choice however it is no longer edible in any of the chain places and often smaller bars seems to be selling the similar industrial stuff - cheap from discount super markets. I suppose it has been killed by health regulations requiring egg products to be made from pasteurized, process "egg".

If I ever pass through Incheon I will ask you for the location of that place. Sounds good to me. I wouldn't drink stella but I am sure they would have some else. I put stella and bud light in the same category, but then again I haven't touch either for at least 2 decades. :-)

Speaking of beer. One (ex-?) local brand from Spain, Estrella Galicia is now available all over Spain and selling very well. However, it is now pretty bland. Even as recently as 2-3 years ago it had a very strong flavor that you needed to get used to. Now it has marginally more taste than the Estrella Damm brand that is popular in Catalunia but it is really not very different. I see two explanations: 1, turned into a lowest common denominator global product (bud light) to compete in the yellow water category; 2, my tastebuds are shot.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sun May 12, 2019 10:57 am

simonm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am

Speaking of beer.
Cruzcampo.

Cheers,

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 am

simonm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am
Sometimes there is a "tortilla related object" in sandwiches but not always. It is in long strips to fit the rubbery industrial type baguette like object that has replaced bread all over Europe. It is always extremely salty. Many people put a lot of salt in tortilla but this is extreme. They may well be putting onion powder in it too. A decade ago tortilla in airports and fast food places was a reasonable choice however it is no longer edible in any of the chain places and often smaller bars seems to be selling the similar industrial stuff - cheap from discount super markets. I suppose it has been killed by health regulations requiring egg products to be made from pasteurized, process "egg".

If I ever pass through Incheon I will ask you for the location of that place. Sounds good to me. I wouldn't drink stella but I am sure they would have some else. I put stella and bud light in the same category, but then again I haven't touch either for at least 2 decades. :-)

Speaking of beer. One (ex-?) local brand from Spain, Estrella Galicia is now available all over Spain and selling very well. However, it is now pretty bland. Even as recently as 2-3 years ago it had a very strong flavor that you needed to get used to. Now it has marginally more taste than the Estrella Damm brand that is popular in Catalunia but it is really not very different. I see two explanations: 1, turned into a lowest common denominator global product (bud light) to compete in the yellow water category; 2, my tastebuds are shot.
I like fresh Cruzcampo, I went to the brewery once and drank.

Stella is far better than bud light- not even in the same postal code. Estrella is good too, but it it reminds me of my Galician friend who is a biologist. Kind of sad we were best friends when he did post doc work in California and he moved back to Spain. He was crazy, ge and I threw these ‘que mada’ parties in my shop that were quite well attended and people sang all night together.

The que mada is some folklore Galicia ritual were you recite some text in Gallego and light a bowl full of aguardiente on fire and drop coffee beans in it. Then you put out the flame and pour it into cups.

Definitely not airport drinking

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 am

Galicia in Autumn features the "Magosta" (spelling?). It is basically and autumn type party celebrating the harvests. Quemada obviously plays a part. But the two main ingredients are roasted chestnuts fresh from the tree and agua-pe (should have an accent). Fresh young wine. Literally "foot water" as grapes are traditionally pressed by walking on them.

Return to “The Café”