Your regrets: foods replaced by food like substances?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Your regrets: foods replaced by food like substances?

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Gorn wrote: Why do they rape tea leaves by mixing them with bergamot ... I will never believe that a highly educated and sophisticated man like Jean-Luc Picard really would drink "Earl Grey".
Are you insane?

A couple of decades ago my regular Sunday morning treat consisted of cinnamon toast with earl grey tea and the preceding Saturday's Guardian newspaper sitting in Betty's Café. If I completed the cryptic crossword I would allow myself a cafétiere of Blue Mountain Peaberry as a reward.

If I failed to complete said crossword I had to console myself ... with a cafétiere of Blue Mountain Peaberry.

Life was hard back then.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Are you insane?
No, I'm just crazy 'bout tea. Pure tea. No powdered sweepings in a paper bag. Fresh boiling water (black) or fresh boiling water having cooled down to 70°C (green). Leaves in a mesh for exactly 3 minutes. No sugar, of course! 1.7 l (= 3 pints) every morning.
To me, flavored tea is like fresh oysters with ketchup :lol:

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm

American craft beer is a joke...Enjoy the European beer.

IPA is garbage...hops and alcohol...fruity juicy IPA is homogenized in the American market. I don't think Americans understand that a good lager is more or less an extinct breed. It's easier to make a high alcohol hot fermented ale than condition a lager. It's also easier to mass produced cute names of beer using the same homogenized ingredients from the same distributors.

I think American craft beer is so full of itself that it really won't evolve. It is what is now. What I find fascinating is that there are a few breweries...such as Orval,Chimay, Westmalle...they have a character that can't be duplicated...

But American beer, you can almost taste the same overlaying flavors of hops and boozy alcohol notes in everything. It's pretty pathetic.

Lagunitas I think are the biggest jerks in the industry. Mostly because they have a beer called Czech Style Pils...

Of course it's an ale...not lagered, but they can be cute with marketing and call it whatever. I find it disgraceful that they take a regional beer and claim it as their style when it's not even approachable or comparable to the style. They should more appropriately call the beer Jerk Style Pils: Hot lagered ale for American idiots.

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 am
Several varieties of 100% and 99% chocolate available here. Have you tried this? A bit too much for me but I find 85% chocolate great.
The percentage is secondary for me although the 90% are not really to my liking. The moment they stick lecithin in the flavor gets destroyed. Like some of the additives in bread, it is only there for industrial production reasons - it makes it flow better in the moulds. Once you get used to choc without it there is no going back.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 14, 2019 7:40 am

Gorn wrote:
Gorn wrote:Mark Clifton-Gaultier
Are you insane?
No, I'm just crazy 'bout tea. Pure tea. No powdered sweepings in a paper bag.
Well I'm maybe half insane Gorn ... no tea-bags for me - only loose tea but you must learn to love the bergamot!.

You've a point however - I will try and source bergamot separately so that I can add it myself.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 am

simonm wrote:
pogmoor wrote:Several varieties of 100% and 99% chocolate available here. Have you tried this? A bit too much for me but I find 85% chocolate great.
The percentage is secondary for me although the 90% are not really to my liking. The moment they stick lecithin in the flavor gets destroyed. Like some of the additives in bread, it is only there for industrial production reasons - it makes it flow better in the moulds. Once you get used to choc without it there is no going back.
You're correct Simon - lecithin is the killer and it's ubiquitous.

It would take a massive sea change to turn this around with, for the most part, little chance as straightforward access to lecithin-free chocolate is near impossible for most of the population (at leat here in England).

In any case - and I know this is a sweeping statement - most are inured now, even habituated to the cheap sugar rush available from the big name confectioners. I've known otherwise "normal" adults pull a face at real chocolate (and real bread) - the chocolate milk syndrome writ large.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am

Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 am
It would take a massive sea change to turn this around with, for the most part, little chance as straightforward access to lecithin-free chocolate is near impossible for most of the population (at leat here in England).
I've got several brands of 85% and 90% dark chocolate (and one 100%) in my cupboard. Obviously the 100% chocolate contains no lecithin but about half the other brands don't list lecithin among their ingredients.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 am

pogmoor wrote:I've got several brands of 85% and 90% dark chocolate (and one 100%) in my cupboard. Obviously the 100% chocolate contains no lecithin but about half the other brands don't list lecithin among their ingredients.
Oh? Thanks - that's an eye opener Eric. Maybe something is changing after all.

I pretty much stopped buying chocolate a few years ago on account of the lecithin. At around that time Green & Blacks, previously producers of organic chocolate, were partially taken over by Cadbury (or some other big company - I can't remember which) and their previously lecithin free products were affected. Not only that - there was little publicity and I was one customer who unknowingly bought some of the new G&B branded stuff which turned out not to be organic.

Time to explore again. Must make an effort to keep an open mouth if not an open mind ...

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Tue May 14, 2019 1:08 pm

I miss real cream right from the separator. Solid at room temperature (55% fat content) and wonderful flavour. Not Devonshire cream; I think that is processed or the English cows are eating something weird because it doesn't taste right. Now that the family farm is gone I can still buy this cream from a local producer. Mass produced 18% and 35% cream is tasteless.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Tue May 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Sun May 12, 2019 6:49 pm
kirolak wrote:Marmite has become sticky, sludgy goo ...
I switched to Vegemite for a while - it seemed a bit closer to the old Marmite - now using Natex. There's another yeast extract from Meridian that I haven't tried yet - comes with or without salt - may be worth a shot.
kirolak wrote:I also used to buy Tofu, but now there is only the"sliken Tofu" available, meant for deserts. It turns to pale liquid if you fry it.
It's really easy to make your own - just three ingredients and a cooking thermometer required and you can create exactly the texture you prefer by using more or less coagulent. If you get the bug you might want to buy a wooden tofu mould.
I will try to find the ingredients etc here..thanks for the tip!

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 14, 2019 2:25 pm

kirolak wrote:I will try to find the ingredients etc here ...
I found a clear set of online instructions:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Tofu/
I use lemon juice rather than the salts - you can also substitute terra alba (from a home-brew supplier) or nigari flakes.

You will end up with a handy by-product of soy fibre (okara) which can be used to make unohana (with soy sauce, mirin, carrots, burdock and mushrooms) or tempeh (I haven't tried this). Let us know how you get on.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue May 14, 2019 3:08 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am
I've got several brands of 85% and 90% dark chocolate (and one 100%) in my cupboard. Obviously the 100% chocolate contains no lecithin but about half the other brands don't list lecithin among their ingredients.
Good news! Can you mention the brands?

As a kid I loved Cadbury's Bourneville dark chocolate. My childhood memory was that it was dark and tasted of chocolate. I tried a bar for the last time 15-20 years ago and it was some sort of chewy vegetable oil concoction that had a barely recognizable hint of chocolate above the lecithin and sugar. I think it was down to about 30% cocoa too.

In my other thread about airport food you will see me singing the praises of UK airport food. In fact I have rarely had a really bad restaurant meal in the UK on visits in the last 2 decades. Some really good. I find it a real challenge to get a nice meal in Spain, France or Germany if I am just passing through an area or there for work. I will admit to being picky. :-) Luckily my wife is generally much better at picking place to go to, but it doesn't help when I am traveling for work.

One problem with commercial Earl Grey is that some brands especially on mainland Europe use Bergamot herbs of various types (e.g. lemon balm or related) instead of the citrus flavouring. Nasty stuff.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am

simonm wrote:
pogmoor wrote:I've got several brands of 85% and 90% dark chocolate (and one 100%) in my cupboard. Obviously the 100% chocolate contains no lecithin but about half the other brands don't list lecithin among their ingredients.
Pogmoor is correct - I just checked out the own brand 85% bar at our local Co-op store - no lecithin named in the ingredients, though I'm not sure how robust the law is around this - must all ingredients be indicated legally?

I didn't buy it so I can't give a description of mouth feel, taste etc.
simonm wrote:One problem with commercial Earl Grey is that some brands especially on mainland Europe use Bergamot herbs of various types (e.g. lemon balm or related) instead of the citrus flavouring. Nasty stuff.
I've never heard of "bergamot herbs" - I was under the impression that the fruit is an extremely bitter orange - inedibly bitter. Searching now to see what "bergamot flavouring" might mean.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed May 15, 2019 1:45 pm

simonm wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:08 pm
pogmoor wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am
Co-op 85%; as mentioned by Mark - very individual flavour, somewhat different from the others.
Green and Black's 85%.
Raw Halo 85% - a brand I only came across a couple of weeks ago.
Lindt 90% - and possibly their 85%, but I don't currently have any of this.
Waitrose 90% Dominican.
And Hotel Chocolat do several 100% chocolates.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Well the hydrogenated fats added to butters and/or oils to create spreads was a particularly bad thing that luckily the food industry appears to have moved away from. Well in the UK at least.
Goodness knows if they're used under another name in other foods.

One of the reasons the advice is to limit one's processed food intake.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Return to “The Café”