Any tips for a piano beginner?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Tony.L

Any tips for a piano beginner?

Post by Tony.L » Sun May 19, 2019 5:54 am

Hello, does anyone know easy studies, exercises or any material to start playing the piano?

:desole:

ddray

Re: Any tips for a piano beginner?

Post by ddray » Sun May 19, 2019 8:13 am

How much of a beginner are you? Absolute beginner, or already have some knowledge? I never had any experience with the Alfred Adult Piano Course books, but they seem to be popular with adult learners these days. Czerny's Practical Method for Beginners (Op. 599) might be a starting point. It can be had pretty cheap. Bergmüller's Easy and Progressive Studies are another.
I would suggest not getting hung up on doing just rote scales and exercises though. Find tuneful, enjoyable things to try to play, even if you have to take melodic and harmonic lines separately at first. Look for the "Little Preludes" and Two-part Inventions by Bach.

Tony.L

Post by Tony.L » Sun May 19, 2019 1:40 pm

I already have the basics, I’ve seen some lessons, and exercises like Hanon and Gurlitt studies, but I would like to know if there’s like any easy repertoire to get started with? I mean to improve “step by step”

And thank you for your response

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun May 19, 2019 2:32 pm

There are many things available online and at the music store if you have one nearby.
Piano tutors/publishers are helpful with creating "graded studies" that will allow you to progress step by step. No need to rush through things or move along any faster than you are able. I like: Bartok's- Mikrokosmos (available in 6 graded volumes),published/distributed by Leonard. I also like Czerny-Schaum Editions books 1 and 2: published/distributed by Alfred.
There is a periodical, Pianist, based in the UK and issued maybe 6 times a year. It is pricey, but comes with it's own CD and includes sheet music for all player levels.
Working on your piano will help your guitar playing along. A bonus!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Bartok's Mikrokosmos is a great suggestion. I'd also reiterate to play every scrap of Bach's music within your ability. No other composer's works teach phrasing and the much-talked-about "finger independence" so effectively. (And stay away from the sustain pedal...trust me, it can become a crutch ;) )
Last edited by ddray on Sun May 19, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Alfred's is very good. But it's mostly chording with the left hand. I'd supplement from the get go with other easy pieces to get more left hand independence. The RCM material is helpful in that regard.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 am

Microjazz, for a more difficult modern style.
The Classics to Modern series is graded from easy - book 1 - to not easy - book 6. Couperin to Shostakovich, and many others.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue May 21, 2019 12:07 pm

Anna Magdalena, Schumann album for the young, likewise Tchaikovsky album for the young. Dozens of pieces from grade 1 level and up.
You can usually find the considered level of difficulty of each piece by doing a quick google search.
Historicalguitars.

mswilks

Post by mswilks » Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 pm

The Keith Snell Essential Piano Repertoire has multiple volumes. My son worked through the early books with his teacher before moving on, and I thought it was quite good.

I second ddray's advice about Bach. The easier Bach preludes (from the Anna Magdalena Notebook, for example) are fairly accessible and also give you a sense -- as does the Snell series -- that you're playing something "real." The suggestion for Mikrokosmos is extremely good because you have to rely purely on reading the music rather than roughly anticipating the music (which is more likely with Bach).

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Also as you progress a bit try the Bach Two Part Inventions. They are not that difficult and really promote right and left hand independence
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
2018 Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundo flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 am

mswilks wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 pm
The Keith Snell Essential Piano Repertoire has multiple volumes. My son worked through the early books with his teacher before moving on, and I thought it was quite good.

I second ddray's advice about Bach. The easier Bach preludes (from the Anna Magdalena Notebook, for example) are fairly accessible and also give you a sense -- as does the Snell series -- that you're playing something "real." The suggestion for Mikrokosmos is extremely good because you have to rely purely on reading the music rather than roughly anticipating the music (which is more likely with Bach).
I want to second this post. It’s almost exactly what I am doing.

I do daily work on First Lessons in Bach, and I am working through all the Snell repertoire books. Snell gives you a nice introduction to music by serious composers. I’ve also worked out of Mikrokosmos a bit. It’s not for everybody, but I happen to like it.

I add a few sing & play pop tunes and some blues to my routine.

I play about 90 minutes per day now.

Good luck!
Best,
Chuck

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Tony.L wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:54 am
Hello, does anyone know easy studies, exercises or any material to start playing the piano?

:desole:
If you are a beginner-beginner, then, I suggest learning music and learning piano. The piano is the best instrument to learn music, as all the notes are right in front of you, they are color-coded and they are in patterns.

Return to “The Café”