bugs in the windscreen?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

bugs in the windscreen?

Post by simonm » Mon May 20, 2019 11:17 pm

Thinking back over the years have you seen a major reduction in bugs on the windscreen when driving? Can't say really gave it much though, but when someone pointed it out I realized that these days my windscreen stays clean for ages compared to yesteryear.

Terrifying when you think about it? Or is it a case of not getting out enough (try "xBAbXH0JVWE" on your tube).

lagartija

Re: bugs in the windscreen?

Post by lagartija » Tue May 21, 2019 12:38 am

When I was a kid, on family drives from Connecticut to Ohio to visit Aunt, Uncle and Cousins, I remember going through “bug storms” where the number of bugs hitting the windshield was so bad, the wipers smeared them and you just had to stop and pull over to the side of the highway to clean the windshield so you could see out. That was very early 1960s. I don’t remember anything like that after about the late 60s and early 70s.
I’m afraid indiscriminate use of DDT did what they intended it to do by then. :-|
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:03 am

My car has a factory stone/bug deflector installed at the dealer. It costs a bit more with factory deflector as it is supposed to design aerodynamically to work with each particular model. I seemed to have fewer bugs hitting the windshield when driving in the summer. Seemed because I never removed it to test how much it works effectively. One thing is certain, I never had to stop along the highway to clean up the windshield :)

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue May 21, 2019 3:36 am

There is a worst commercials thread somewhere. One of my favorite ones is the car insurance commercial with the guys driving down the road and they get hit smush with a giant bug. They are staring at it when suddenly a drone flies into the same spot and shatters the windshield. They'll probable delete this but:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ITIk/farmers-in ... dden-drone
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 21, 2019 8:28 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:There is a worst commercials thread somewhere. One of my favorite ones is the car insurance commercial with the guys driving down the road and they get hit smush with a giant bug.
Unbelievable - the jingle writer should be named, shamed and fired. I do hope he/she was on minimum wage ...

... we ... are ... farmers - bum dabum bum, bum bum bum.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 am

dta721 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:03 am
My car has a factory stone/bug deflector installed at the dealer.
For the windshield?! I can only think of things that actually work that I've seen on dune buggies and ralley vehicles, kind of begging the question what kind of car you drive.

Unless you mean those fashionable things they put on SUVs to deflect huge 4-legged bugs? ;)

Couple of years ago I took one of the Dutch roads on a dike across the Ijsselmeer in the wrong period of year. The mosquito swarms were almost thick enough to cut with a knife.

I'm guessing that aerodynamic vehicle design also reduces the number of impacts of tiny flying critters and dirt, which will instead be deflected along with the rest of the atmosphere. And this is something where drivers of American cars have begun seeing changes a bit more recently than others O:-)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 am

Research in Germany shows a 70% reduction in flying insects since the last time they measured. We're losing insects at a frightening pace. These new bright, white LED lights will further speed up the decline. It's been thirty years since I last needed to clean insects off the windscreen.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 am

What do the lights have to do with it, so you think they attract a significantly higher number of insects?

I can confirm that we have noticed the return of nicer weather quite clearly here in rural France! (Which is not to say that there is no reduction at all of course.)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Wed May 22, 2019 3:13 am

While I have noticed fewer bugs on the windscreen, the front on my cars seem to make up for it. Maybe it's aerodynamics?
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

Return to “The Café”