You'll Never Play Giuliani or Hit Home Runs!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Re: You'll Never Play Giuliani or Hit Home Runs!

Post by dory » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:37 am

For sure I am going to try something.
Dory

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:10 pm

dory wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 pm
I can play some things that are pretty and I can use the guitar to practice choral works that I am singing. (People in my choirs always say “You have to be nuts.You don’t use the piano to practice?” I say “Why bother if I know where all the notes are on the guitar fingerboard without looking and I have to look under my fingers to play the piano.” ) I would like to get good enough to play at the local open mic without panicking. I don’t need to play beautiful pieces there— just play something nicely. (I am thinking of hypnosis) At that point I will have met my goals. My goals will have been met. Yes, they are modest but....

Hi, Dory,
I have something much simpler method to try for your problem that WORKS. If you have a close friend or family member that you like/love/trust, play for them whenever you are able. You will, undoubtedly, make mistakes, feel nervous and apprehensive, but the more you play for them the better it will get. When you have climbed that mountain, there's another one just ahead. The problem with CG study, in general, is that teachers do not require beginning /intermediate/advanced students to perform for others on a regular basis. If this were part of the regimen, there would be far less problems of this sort in performance anxiety. However, most performers, I believe, experience some anxiety before a performance but shake it off once playing. Remember, unless your goal is to be the next Segovia, EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES. Keep playing Dory--it will get better. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:09 pm

The baseball analogy is just terrible...I mean if you can be a good contact hitter and hit for average you can likely have a good career. Of course if you can hit homers consistently in your lower divisions...then rise to the majors you can get paid good for having just one good season.

But a damned guitarist doesn't get to get a 300 million dollar contract for doing nothing. Let's not compare guitarists to athletes again :) Can you name one that is worth fifty million who is not a pop/rocker?

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:20 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:09 pm
The baseball analogy is just terrible...I mean if you can be a good contact hitter and hit for average you can likely have a good career. Of course if you can hit homers consistently in your lower divisions...then rise to the majors you can get paid good for having just one good season.

But a damned guitarist doesn't get to get a 300 million dollar contract for doing nothing. Let's not compare guitarists to athletes again :) Can you name one that is worth fifty million who is not a pop/rocker?

Hi, Messy,
Sorry, you missed the metaphor. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 pm

LOL playing again yes...hahahah I'm always slow to the punch.

Return to “The Café”