Starting Jazz Guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Helsair
Location: https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-jazz-guitars/

Starting Jazz Guitar

Post by Helsair » Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 am

Hi guys, I've recently gotten into Jazz guitar and I would love to start learning how to play it.
But I literally have no idea where to start.
If you guys could point me in the right direction for a novice, and give me some songs to learn I'd be very appreciative.

CathyCate

Re: Starting Jazz Guitar

Post by CathyCate » Fri May 31, 2019 6:41 am

This forum is dedicated to classical guitar, but a number of players and teachers share your interest and are cross trained to some degree. Using the forum's internal search function will point you in the direction of some jazz oriented discussions and materials. Enter the words <<jazz guitar>> in the search box and go from there until some answers to this post start coming in. All the best!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Fri May 31, 2019 9:14 am

go to jazz guitar dot be slash forum.

save yourself some frustration and find a teacher who actually plays jazz. take some lessons.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 am

Hi, Helsair
Helsair wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 am
Hi guys, I've recently gotten into Jazz guitar and I would love to start learning how to play it.
If you guys could point me in the right direction for a novice, and give me some songs to learn I'd be very appreciative.
Playing Jazz means playing jazz standards oftentimes (but not always).

Jazz encompasses broader range of subcategories, but you can utilize all the classical techniques you already have. If you mean the main stream Wes Montgomery/Joe Pass kind of swinging jazz styles, then it usually starts with learning some jazz standards. However so, it might be easier for you to approach from Bossa Nova side of the house, as they use the same guitar you have oftentimes.

I'd say the very basic is so-called "rhythm change" and "jazz blues". With these two, you can go and jam already.

Jazz Blues:

Rhythem Changes:

And with what you've learned out of "rhythm change" and "jazz blues", you can expand your repertoire to some tin pan alley and other famous? standards, like "days of wine and roses", "autumn leaves", "all the things you are" and so on.

If you take the Bossa Nova side, there are also range of standards. Also you can play "swing" jazz standards in Bossa style but it may not be introductory.

The introductory Bossa standards I recommend to learn include: "Blue Bossa" (play it slower), "Estate" (by an Italian composer) and so on.

Blue Bossa (George Benson)
[mod edit: copyrighted music]

Estate (Bireli Lagrene and Sylvain Luc)
[mod edit copyrighted music]

You cannot and do not have to play these standards like these players to start of with, but there are so many tips and instruction videos for these tunes, because they are so popular and basic, which helps you in learning Jazz.

I hope this helps you,

T

dropbydrop

Post by dropbydrop » Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm

Hallo Helsair,
you can try trascriptions of François Leduc here:

Put "François Leduc" into youtube and see his channel.

Jazz is essentially improvisation: but, at first I think is confortable to have a score.

Fede :bye:
first comes right, than comes fast!

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:21 pm

I found this book to be helpful: "The Classical Guitarist's Guide To Jazz", by Andrew York. It is available on Amazon.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

brad4d8

Post by brad4d8 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:51 pm

I think a lot depends on what "jazz" you are aiming for. As someone suggested, getting a good teacher is a nice starting point, but look for one who is conversant with the style you want. A fusion player/teacher might not be good for Freddie Green style rhythm comping or chordal soloing. There are dozens of books/methods available if you're not in an area with access to teachers. I personally like the series from Jody Fisher, he divides the lessons in two ways, chordal approach and single string. Good luck.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri May 31, 2019 4:54 pm

I feel very sorry for you. I have a jazz allergy that there is no cure for. I definitely love classical and shredder rock, which are (perhaps) oddly very close in terms of structure and scales. I can hang with Country for some songs. Jazz ... I am sorry to hear you are so afflicted. :D

Of course, you should follow your passions! And you have been given some great advice in the replies above. My advice would be to stay away from jazz!!!! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

JohnW400

Post by JohnW400 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:16 pm

That's great. Jazz guitar covers a lot off territory. The first question I would ask you is "what are you listening to?" Those are the songs you should try to learn first.

the first jazz artists I listened to were Joe Pass, Pat Martino and Charlie Byrd. From there I moved onto a whole bunch of others but those three enough to get me started.

Charlie Byrd is a good place to start if you're a CG player mostly because he was also trained in classical music.

As far as learning to play Jazz in general? take Randalljazz's advice and get a good teacher to start out with. it will save you lot's of time.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 am

Martin Taylor is another guitarist that may be of interest to you. He and Robin Nolan offer many tutorials and classes online that cover Jazz and Gypsy Jazz tunes.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:08 am

One interesting exercise for a Classical/Jazz guitarist is to take the Classical etudes and pieces you learned on the Classical guitar, and play them as if they were Jazz. Lenny Breau does that with a certain well-known Bach Bourree on his collaboration album with Buddy Emmons, Minors Aloud. He plays it pretty much as written, then treats it as a ground for improvisation.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

jm_andrade

Post by jm_andrade » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:53 am

Tonit wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 am
Hi, Helsair
Helsair wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 am
Playing Jazz means playing jazz standards oftentimes (but not always).

Jazz encompasses broader range of subcategories, but you can utilize all the classical techniques you already have. If you mean the main stream Wes Montgomery/Joe Pass kind of swinging jazz styles, then it usually starts with learning some jazz standards. However so, it might be easier for you to approach from Bossa Nova side of the house, as they use the same guitar you have oftentimes.

I'd say the very basic is so-called "rhythm change" and "jazz blues". With these two, you can go and jam already.

Jazz Blues:

Rhythem Changes:

And with what you've learned out of "rhythm change" and "jazz blues", you can expand your repertoire to some tin pan alley and other famous? standards, like "days of wine and roses", "autumn leaves", "all the things you are" and so on.

If you take the Bossa Nova side, there are also range of standards. Also you can play "swing" jazz standards in Bossa style but it may not be introductory.

The introductory Bossa standards I recommend to learn include: "Blue Bossa" (play it slower), "Estate" (by an Italian composer) and so on.

Blue Bossa (George Benson)

Estate (Bireli Lagrene and Sylvain Luc)

You cannot and do not have to play these standards like these players to start of with, but there are so many tips and instruction videos for these tunes, because they are so popular and basic, which helps you in learning Jazz.

I hope this helps you,

T
Hi,

I agree that the youtube resources by Jens Larsen and Rick Beato are good starting points. You must also consider studying with a good teacher for 1-to-1 lessons. Furthermore, I also think that listening records and studying the scores will help you too and once you have gotten some proficiency you should consider playing in a jazz band. Well, to be honest, this is my plan too!

Regards,
JM

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi jm_andrade,
jm_andrade wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:53 am
Hi,

I agree that the youtube resources by Jens Larsen and Rick Beato are good starting points. You must also consider studying with a good teacher for 1-to-1 lessons. Furthermore, I also think that listening records and studying the scores will help you too and once you have gotten some proficiency you should consider playing in a jazz band. Well, to be honest, this is my plan too!

Regards,
JM
I agree listening to records and playing in a jazz band.

However, what I think he needs more would be jazz friends than lessons. The important part is to mingle with other players and communicate and actually play together off the stage and develop what and how he wants/likes to play.

Then he might find a particular direction to explore eventually, and that is when he may seek a particular instructor to follow as he would have decided to continue in jazz.

And I still recommend him to start off with Bossa Nova as it is a very handy extension for classical guitarists, as there is no extra investment required to start off with, listen to and try to copy and play some Romero Lubambo, Toninho Horta, Peter Sprague etc. as they appear often on today's online video media, giving some lessons at times...

jm_andrade

Post by jm_andrade » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi Tonit,

I agree with everything you've said. Bossa nova is a style that any classical guitarist could play. It helps to learn interesting chord substitutions and progressions and different voicings that you may use in jazz.

Getting immerse in jazz (as in any other style) is key for learning and I believe that's in line with you suggestion of having jazz friends.

In my case, I got the Real Book Vol 1 and started studying some standards, mainly the different chords and the progression structures since I'm aiming at joining a jazz band (fingers crossed at some point in September when the first academic term starts) and would like to have a relatively decent chord vocabulary. I do like the freedom you have in jazz and although I consider myself a classical guitar student and I'm no way near of being a jazz guitar player, it's a way of enjoying another aspect of the guitar. Obviously, learning some jazzy chords and their different voicings, and some progressions don't make anybody a jazz guitar player but let's keep in mind that "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" [Laozi, Chapter 64 of the Tao Te Ching].

Regards,
JM Andrade

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi again jm_andrade,
jm_andrade wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm

In my case, I got the Real Book Vol 1 and started studying some standards, mainly the different chords and the progression structures since I'm aiming at joining a jazz band (fingers crossed at some point in September when the first academic term starts)
Beileve me or not, I was a student back in 20 years or so, but stydying Jazz Composition composing for big bands and orchestra.

What I can tell you for your future endeavor includes:

The difference between "classroom" jazz and classical musics boils down to difference in handling 2nds and 7ths intervals theoretically.

Outside of your classrooms there is nothing but freedom where you can arbitrary use all the musical devices from both musics.

But it is important to cover the base: 2nds and 7ths. How do you treat these for your jazz solos, or classical compositions?

How do you voice C7(#9 b13)? Sit down on a piano... suppose you have Gm7b5 to C7(#9 b13) to Fm11 to voice.

C on bass then, Ab, Bb, E, G, and D#?
Yes, this is the way you can achieve quintessential jazz C7(#9 b13). Notice there are two maj7ths (Ab and G, as well as E and D#).

Now you can try to invert these maj7ths: C on bass then, G, Bb, D#, Ab, and E. Hopefully you see a sneak peek of what I meant to say.

In classroom classical theory, b2nd and maj7ths are interchangeable, if you can recall. Since b2nd is a dissonant interval, the inverted b2nd which is maj7th would also be a dissonant interval.

That's not the case of jazz that I hope you see a little.

Now you know a little bit of how to step up from "jazzy" to "jazz".

Good luck.

Return to “The Café”